FL-Studio10: Boosting volume on specific beats of the drum sequence?

In the fourth beat of the main drum measure in this sample, there is a distortion effect from grossbeat that engages a set of claps to create a pow effect. I can't seem to raise the volume for that particular beat while retaining normal levels afterward. Have I run out of headroom in my workspace or is something else going on? Any thoughts?

EDIT: See track in post below

Edited by TorchForge

I'm only a little bit used to the functions of FL Studio.

But in relation to the mixing stuff in your question, I'd give the following advice:
If you can't boost the volume of a certain track in your mix (like drums), you can still lower all the other tracks instead...  with quite the same effect.

Since mixing is much more about balancing (balancing out the volume/loudness of the tracks against each other) than boosting, I'd also recommend to begin mixing with a really safe headroom.
So, I generally take the track which I think will be the loudest or most assertive one in the mix (mostly the drums track) and set the volume of this track in a way that its greatest peak in the track may be around -10 dB.

From this point you can easily set all the other tracks of the whole mix.
And if you compose another track later (maybe another drum element) which might have some few stronger/louder impulses/peaks, there shouldn't be too big problems with the headroom.

Coming to the mixing quality of your track, I'd say it 's already pretty well-mixed.

7 hours ago, Master Mi said:

I'm only a little bit used to the functions of FL Studio.

But in relation to the mixing stuff in your question, I'd give the following advice:
If you can't boost the volume of a certain track in your mix (like drums), you can still lower all the other tracks instead...  with quite the same effect.

Since mixing is much more about balancing (balancing out the volume/loudness of the tracks against each other) than boosting, I'd also recommend to begin mixing with a really safe headroom.
So, I generally take the track which I think will be the loudest or most assertive one in the mix (mostly the drums track) and set the volume of this track in a way that its greatest peak in the track may be around -10 dB.

From this point you can easily set all the other tracks of the whole mix.
And if you compose another track later (maybe another drum element) which might have some few stronger/louder impulses/peaks, there shouldn't be too big problems with the headroom.

Coming to the mixing quality of your track, I'd say it 's already pretty well-mixed.

Thanks for the response. I ended up muting all of my channels and just bringing them up little by little until it was fairly close to what I was hoping for.

If you get a chance, what do you think in comparison?

To my ears it 's not a too big difference to the last version.

But the new mix sounds a bit quieter from the overall loudness (which is good in this case) - but a bit more relaxed, dynamic, cleaner and a bit more pleasing to listen to.

If you compared the loudness/peak measuring graphs of both soundtracks, you can see the differences.

old version >>>

new version >>>

So, despite the kinda shitty 128 kbit/s streaming rate of Soundcloud...
... in the new version the drums seem to have more room to shine through the mix.

In the old version, it seems that the drums and maybe also the rest of the track are more compressed/limited - perhaps via limiter as a master plugin.
It's one of the reasons I don't use compression tools in my own tracks - because they lower the definition, the dynamics and sample quality into a kinda annoying direction of less defined sound mud... the more intensively you use those compression tools in your mix, the worse this compression/limiting effect might become.

Edited by Master Mi