*NO* Super Metroid & Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Sandy Soil Brinstar"

Rexy

Hello,

You will find attached to this email my mashup of Red Soil Brinstar from Super Metroid with Lanayru Sand Sea from Skyward Sword.

I know this Red Soil Brinstar is overused but I tried to do something different by adding the Lanayru theme and by having a slower/calmer mood.

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged : Super Metroid, Zelda Skyward Sword
  • Name of arrangement : Sandy Soil Brinstar
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged : Red Soil Brinstar, Lanayru Sand Sea
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) : 
    • Mac OSX
    • FL Studio 20
    • Kontakt VSTs
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) 

Regards

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

With the opening notes of the Lanayru theme, I could see why you decided to mash up these two themes.  They're a natural fit.

For a mash-up, though, this is an extremely static and conservative arrangement.  The Red Soil triplets, bass, piping vox, and percussion run through the entire piece unchanged.  Then there's pretty much just the two melodies, A-B-A, cello-sax-cello (with a brief nod to Kraid's Lair).

Also, the attack on the cello is really slow, putting them behind the beat even given how slow it is.

I don't think there's enough interpretation here for what we look for.  It's little more than a MIDI rip with the Lanayru melody inserted into the middle.  We also prefer arrangements that are more dynamic, with some changes in the accompaniment, percussion, something, over the duration of the piece.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2019/01/12 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: SS & Super Metroid "Sandy Soil Brinstar"
  • 2 weeks later...

i also really like the idea of this mashup. they definitely fit together nicely. there's some interesting soundscape design here too - some of the backing samples (the high strings at 1:49 are sublime in how subtle they are) are real nice too. the initial presentation of the background was interesting too - instantly recognizable.

and then nothing happened for over three minutes. it's a loop of that initial D#m -> E pattern for the entire track with a fadeout at the end. there's a few specific moments that are particularly good, like the moving cello at 2:47, but as a whole it's so static. there's a number of technical issues - most of the time your leads are too slow to attack and are behind the beat, for example - but also there's just not really much actual arrangement going on. i'd argue there's less than a minute of arrangement here. this track desperately needs meat to it - the initial loop is fine to get it moving, but change and stress and resolution is what draws people into music. there's just not any of that here.

NO

Edited by prophetik music
clarifying verbiage

This track's issues are obvious, it's too static and repetitive.  But calling it a midi rip is definitely wrong, there's interpretation here, and detailing put into the performances and sequencing of the main instruments too.  I loved the cello that appears around 2:46 and I think the dynamics and articulations on it are pretty cool.  The two tracks fit perfectly together as well, the concept works for me, it just needed a bit more variation with the backing elements.  There IS variation, but it's too subtle.  Even though the track is repetitive, I don't think it overstays its welcome for too long.

I actually don't think this is a bad track at all.  But I need to mull over it for a while, I'll leave my comments for now.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/01/12 - (2N) Super Metroid & Legend of Zelda: SS "Sandy Soil Brinstar"

I like how close the opening percussion and female vox sound on headphones; pretty cool placement. The track does feel more static due to the slower tempo, but let's see where this goes. Lanayru theme comes in at 1:13, I see how it fits with Brinstar, but can't say the synergy is quite there. I hear how some parts are slightly behind the beat as well, though that didn't bother me a lot.

This has so much potential, but I agree with MW and proph that the overall piece is too static. Even when you have subtle dynamic contrast due to the leads changing around some, that's going to be undermined by the backing ultimately droning on and making the track feel stale after a while. It's basically the same pattern from :04 all the way to 2:47, then back again at 3:21 for the close. The tempo being slow isn't inherently a problem, just to be clear, but they're right that the backing patterns plod.

NO (resubmit)