MnP 110: Streets of Rage 3 - Inga Rasen

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

MIDI: https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP110_Streets_of_Rage_3_-_Inga_Rasen_.mid

Deadline: March 3rd Tues @ 1 PM

Vote Ends: March 5th Thurs @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP110

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. Same rules for PRC voting Stage: don't vote for yourself, be considerate and try to give reasonable feedback as to why you liked X or Y entry. 
  8. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

20 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

I guess it’s Streets of Rage 3....

Don’t have high hopes for this. Not everyone  really listens to machine gun like Experimental Electronica (Despite it being one of my all time favourites...)

If they do, them consider it a early birthday present lol.

Still though thanks anyways..,

well, i'm getting some batman & robin (Mad-Hatter stage??) vibes here.  I might be able to shoot out a cool ambient trancy thing, per my usual weird style.  Or maybe I can focus more on the trance :P

Edited by HoboKa

1 hour ago, HoboKa said:

well, i'm getting some batman & robin (Mad-Hatter stage??) vibes here.  I might be able to shoot out a cool ambient trancy thing, per my usual weird style.  Or maybe I can focus more on the trance :P

Do what you can. If you do submit, you have high hopes in the next source :P 

Otherwise bonus as usual and no entrants.

It does sound a bit like Batman and Robin.

I actually read an interview with Jesper Kyd and apparently SOR3 is his all time favourite soundtrack. Coincidence?

Edited by TheVideoGamer

4 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Do what you can. If you do submit, you have high hopes in the next source :P 

Otherwise bonus as usual and no entrants.

It does sound a bit like Batman and Robin.

I actually read an interview with Jesper Kyd and apparently SOR3 is his all time favourite soundtrack. Coincidence?

Small world.  Funny how that works.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HoboKa said:

C'est La Vie!  As it turns out, Bon Du Francious is a tiny island off the coast of France, owned by French's Mustard.  I envy TheVideoGamer, he must be crazy rich T_T

Nah that's too much of a compliment. I wish i was rich, then i could own all the video games in the world! (Ok i was joking there)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 12:14 PM, Mr.EA said:

Thanks for submitting.  I've slotted you into the round.  Please make a Compoverse account when possible for future entries.  Well, it'd be preferred, but I'll still do my best to squeeze you in if unable to do so.

Edited by HoboKa

3 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Thanks for submitting.  I've slotted you into the round.  Please make a Compoverse account when possible for future entries.  Well, it'd be preferred, but I'll still do my best to squeeze you in if unable to do so.

It is a real entry right? Not some random custom track he made for a different project?

I don’t want to seem rude, it’s just there’s little to no information on it..

52 minutes ago, TheVideoGamer said:

It is a real entry right? Not some random custom track he made for a different project?

I don’t want to seem rude, it’s just there’s little to no information on it..

[edit] Normally I'd avoid entry comments before the round concludes.  But MnP has been a barren wasteland of late.  So, what the heck.

Yeah, this "RMX 1" is an INCREDIBLY re-interpreted and not MNP sounding at all.  If there is original source, then it's well transformed via the notation, style and tempo.  @Mr.EA can you time-stamp the exact spots where source material is used in contrast to your [edit] ReMix??  Otherwise, I may have to remove it =/

Example 0:30 ; 1:10. 

Sorry to put you on the spotlight like this. 

Edited by HoboKa

6 hours ago, HoboKa said:

[edit] Normally I'd avoid entry comments before the round concludes.  But MnP has been a barren wasteland of late.  So, what the heck.

Yeah, this "RMX 1" is an INCREDIBLY re-interpreted and not MNP sounding at all.  If there is original source, then it's well transformed via the notation, style and tempo.  @Mr.EA can you time-stamp the exact spots where source material is used in contrast to your [edit] ReMix??  Otherwise, I may have to remove it =/

Example 0:30 ; 1:10. 

Sorry to put you on the spotlight like this. 

I mean it's not like this source has a melody, but that doesn't mean it's not recognisable. Because it's MnP we need well...MnP entries. Again welcome aboard, and sorry if I seem rude, but if the idea is to be conservative with your remixes, then as far as I'm aware, this is just a random file with no explanation or info about it. Sorry....

9 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

I mean it's not like this source has a melody, but that doesn't mean it's not recognisable. Because it's MnP we need well...MnP entries. Again welcome aboard, and sorry if I seem rude, but if the idea is to be conservative with your remixes, then as far as I'm aware, this is just a random file with no explanation or info about it. Sorry....

I really shoulda listened before submitting it in.  Lol.  Now I'm gonna have to undo that decision.  I'll do up something for you TVG since you got snubbed this round.  Again.  Guess MnP is in a sorry state right now. 

36 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

I really shoulda listened before submitting it in.  Lol.  Now I'm gonna have to undo that decision.  I'll do up something for you TVG since you got snubbed this round.  Again.  Guess MnP is in a sorry state right now. 

It's my fault for choosing this source. One mans good is another mans farts. This feels like more of a personal thing than a source thing. Shall I send another source?

I want to do something for this but I haven't had time. I might still be able to get it in, but who knows.

One thing that might be contributing to the slump is how close the mnp and prc deadlines have been lately. Just speaking personally, I often put things off until the last week (or last minute), which leaves me no chance of being able to do both compos.

1 hour ago, Dextastic said:

I want to do something for this but I haven't had time. I might still be able to get it in, but who knows.

One thing that might be contributing to the slump is how close the mnp and prc deadlines have been lately. Just speaking personally, I often put things off until the last week (or last minute), which leaves me no chance of being able to do both compos.

I'd love to return to a 2-week model.  Need a few more regulars for that lol.  Anyways, I believe an extension is in order...As in I will extend tomorrow night-ish if there is nothing.  If I haven't updated the extension in time by then, just send a link from soundcloud or something.  Thanks for your continued interest Dex :D

edit

4 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

It's my fault for choosing this source. One mans good is another mans farts. This feels like more of a personal thing than a source thing. Shall I send another source?

Well you did pick the last two entries, although this one was retroactively chosen, and very much on my behalf.  So I kinda fiddled the pooch there too.  Well, live and learn.  Guess it's just mainstream games from now on...yayyyy.  Altho I am super glad that prc is seeing more attention these days.

Oh shit.  I just realized that I accidently dunked on this song and game.  *But truth be told, I love the Streets of Rage series!!  Also, I am working on a BONUS tune.  It's gonna be cool.  I hope.

pardon all the edits

Edited by HoboKa

2 hours ago, Dextastic said:

The thing is, if we keep extending this, it might be 2 months before the next round. It's good to keep things moving, but it's also good to give people a chance to make a start.

It is hard, because PRC and MnP are sort of competing for each other (Despite Bundeslang and HoboKa remaining buddies). I'm always down for extensions, i think it's needed if you want to get something down, but have no time (Sometimes i'm really busy, so i might end up with an entry a week before due day, or even a day), but the longer you leave it, the more time you waste. We just have to accept, that nobody will enter every round (Well except maybe me, but i'm a different breed hehe...)

For what it's worth, it's best i suppose to just see how things go. Again one reason nobody is doing this round, is probably the over-the-top source i picked, which is amazing yes...but it's also an acquired taste, and not exactly melodic, so not so much remixable in the sense. Just do what you can.

40 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

I'd love to return to a 2-week model.  Need a few more regulars for that lol.  Anyways, I believe an extension is in order...As in I will extend tomorrow night-ish if there is nothing.  If I haven't updated the extension in time by then, just send a link from soundcloud or something.  Thanks for your continued interest Dex :D

edit

Well you did pick the last two entries, although this one was retroactively chosen, and very much on my behalf.  So I kinda fiddled the pooch there too.  Well, live and learn.  Guess it's just mainstream games from now on...yayyyy.  Altho I am super glad that prc is seeing more attention these days.

Oh shit.  I just realized that I accidently dunked on this song and game.  *But truth be told, I love the Streets of Rage series!!  Also, I am working on a BONUS tune.  It's gonna be cool.  I hope.

pardon all the edits

PRC has been around longer, so maybe it has more of a legacy? (Maybe, not that this has a legacy. It does in my book lol).

I don't know, MnP was made in 2013. PRC was made in 2003.

For this round, an extension would be great. Mainly because interest is starting to pick up lol.

I'm glad you have an interest enough to remix it. I will look forward to your BONUS dude.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:40 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

It has the same title/name, bass, and piano.

Now if you're going to make fun of remixes of a incendiary title that sponsors car totaling you might as well lock this thread in case someone on an actual highway hears this song and creates a car accident with someone else while driving.

Edited by Mr.EA

44 minutes ago, Mr.EA said:

It has the same title/name, bass, and piano.

Now if you're going to make fun of remixes of a incendiary title that sponsors car totaling you might as well lock this thread in case someone on an actual highway hears this song and creates a car accident with someone else while driving.

Missed that (the bass and piano).  Apologies.  I had a difficult time sparsing it out.  But the title/name, is irrelevant, that won't score MnP points, or PRC points for that matter.  Especially if people struggle to hear the source at all.  Heck, I'd imagine the judge panel at OCR would be scratching their heads too.  

BUT, for the sake of keeping the peace, I'll just resub your tune.  Fair? 

Edited by HoboKa