Halo 2: Unforgotten

Souperion

Halo's Soundtrack is rightly revered, and I've been humbly trying to arrange one of my favorites. "Unforgotten" beautifully captures a wistful longing and determination that simultaneously uplifts and crushes the heart, in a merciful way. I can't make strings sing like Martin O'Donnell, but I hope to convey some feeling through this piece. And yes, the gunfire sfx is from Halo 3 with some doctoring.

Feedback welcome as always. Thanks, and enjoy.

Halo_Immortal Memory.mp3

I like this alot! It has good atmosphere. It's been a long time since I've listened to any Halo. 
With the strings, I like the sound, but the EQ is super treble heavy. Needs more mid and lows. If you listen to real orchestral recordings, they all have really good mids and lows. This is because string instruments themselves cover mostly low to mid with some highs (Viola and Violin). Strings are mostly used to give depth and body to whatever they are playing. So mess with the EQ settings to make it more full.

Also after listening to it a few times. Alot of the track is lacking mid to low tones. Especially 1:40 to 3:15. Again, EQ tuning will help with alot of this.
Next is what I make out to be the Bass Drum around 2:45 or so. I can barely make it out. 

You got some good foundation here. I look forward to seeing your progress!

Just got a chance to listen, nice track! I loved when the pizzicato strings came in at 3:42! I agree with brink on the nice atmospheric feel the track has going on.

The strings your using for the main melody seem like they have a bit too much attack on them. There are some spots where you quickly shift notes (like at 0:45) but because of how long the attack is, the strings never get to full volume before moving to the next note so it sounds a bit awkward. If it's possible, I'd recommend going into your VST and turning down the attack just a tad. I remember you commenting on one of my tracks and saying that you used FL, so you could also check out the new FLEX plugin that they added for free. It has a bunch of quality sampled orchestral instruments (including strings) so you could give the violins from that a shot!

Also, I never knew that "Unforgotten" from Halo 2 was the same as "Never Forget" from Halo 3. I started a cover a Never Forget a few weeks ago and was surprised when I started listening to this and it had the same melody, haha! Maybe we'll have to collaborate sometime!

Thanks, Randomcity! I've been trying to make my strings sound better. I use Eastwest's Symphonic Orchestra, which has some good samples, but clearly need more attention. Flex looks awesome, where was it when I started on FL last summer? 

I remember when I heard "Never Forget" in Halo 3, right at the menu screen. Gave me chills. It was a lot of fun to work with. What kind of approach are you taking on it, Randomcity? I think we all need more Halo mixes in our day.

I've already posted a "finished" copy of this remix on my collab channel, but I still appreciate the feedback for future projects. Here it is in case anyone's interested.

1 hour ago, Souperion said:

Thanks, Randomcity! I've been trying to make my strings sound better. I use Eastwest's Symphonic Orchestra, which has some good samples, but clearly need more attention. Flex looks awesome, where was it when I started on FL last summer?

You use EW? I love that sample set. I've been using them since 2006, back when you had to buy them physically like this:
ewql01platinumheader-0GW.Iy5sv11PumlQCZf
I still have them installed lol. They work really well.