OCR00194 - Soul Blade "Jazzer Soul"

m68030

• 5 months later...

This piece showcases some very good percussion, a great variance of instruments (I can't identify half of them, but the bass and piano are well-done), and some nice jazziness. For those of you who don't like jazz, you may not like this one, but give it a chance - it may surprise you. McVaffe certainly knows what he's doing, and this is proof. His many and extremely varied submissions are the perfect example of what someone SHOULD do. Chalk another one up for McVaffe.

• 2 months later...

5/5 Deserves a place in anyone's collection.

It starts out a little funky, but when the piano takes over just before 0:45, this song really gets into its groove. At any time after that you can just close your eyes and groove along to the music and get completely lost in it.

The piano and flute sounds are great, and the generic strings backup rounds things out to an ideal level, but the percussion is what seals the deal for me. McVaffe uses such diverse percussion... normally all the percussion sounds in a track are nearly the same and it falls into a stiff sort of rhythm. Here, having so many different-sounding percussion sounds right after one another makes the top of the percussion line "flow" more. The bottom is still solid with a back-and-forth bass beat, but it's all those individual raindrop-on-pots-and-pans-esque pulses on the even beats that really makes this one great.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

McVaffe is my favorite mixer. I just plain love his music, and this is my favorite song. Of all time. The chorus is excellent, and the balance between all instruments is splendid. Thank you, McVaffe, for making my favorite mix.

• 10 months later...

A bit of smooth jazz for the afternoon, this has a great lead synth that really makes me want to go for a bike ride on a sunny day. However it takes a turn into bittersweet territory when I remember my bike is totaled. :/

Great piano rhythms and laid back hip hop beats. That lead synth though is gold. A smooth jazz winnar is you!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The only reason I see this having so few reviews is that McVaffe was just too prolific back in the day. He just didn't make folks wait long enough for a new mix for them to really appreciate how good each one was!

I've never said it before and I don't believe I ever will again: the wood blocks sold me. Of course since this is McVaffe, the percussion as a whole definitely does not disappoint. Its progressive entry sets the flow, then the piano kicks in and yesssss. The layering in and variation of the strings and flute (and triangle!) give it that final push over the top into forbidden-doughnut-level deliciousness.

Sadly, like all McVaffe mixes, you get a two-second warning then poof! it's done. I could groove to this a lot longer... but hey that's what the repeat button is for, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00194 - Soul Blade "Jazzer Soul"
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Still grooving.^_^

Did you know there are sometimes comments in the tagged attribute fields under the details tab of OCR files? The one for Jazzer Soul reads,

It's funny to imagine life before Soulcalibur, but this game was it. While it may not be much to look at by today's standards, it helped set the bar for 3D weapons fighting (which it proudly continues to this day). This is a remix of Li Long's stage with a contemporary jazz flavor to it.

Enjoy! Mike Vafeas mcvaffe@aol.com http://mcvaffe.com