OCR01537 - Final Fantasy X "Summoner's Love"

djpretzel

Yea, first post.

Anyway, about the song...

I found it hard to find the besaid theme in this one except at 4:06 where it came supprisingly obvious. Besaid is the best part of FFX for me and I had a lot of high hopes for this one. The music seems gentle enough to put me to sleep while driving, yet captivating enough to keep me interested. Definately a quality of the origional.

The vocals were decent, but somehow seemed out of place, as with most remixes that try to force lyrics in them.

In the end, I'd say about 7.3/10

Keep at it DragonAvenger and EFields. You have some potential.

I remember hearing early versions of this on the WIP board, and while there were tons of little revisions made along the way each of them got consistently better. Also the xtra reverb on the vocals def is a positive, and after hearing earlier versions the xtra verb was necessary to have everything sit right.

My fav thing bout this mix is the whole vibe, relaxing with a lil ethnic flare. The execution of both artists creative ideas def made this an excellent piece. In an arrangement and structure like this IMO the loopy sounding rythms actually fit in nicely. I really like the structure and flow of this mix, from the intro to all the lil things EFields threw in towards the latter part of the mix.

Congrats dudes!

Nice overall. Love the intro and the overall vibe. Vocals were pretty good...not wowing me here, but there are some nice parts here and there.

I don't want to be a critic, but I find it strange that the judges accepted a Remix like this and rejected Darangen's "Rest Tonight". That song was equally good, if not better than this one...particularly in the vocals. There are times when they're overly critical on the vocals and times when they say that they shouldn't be critical on vocals. Which is it?

I don't mean to offend anyone here. Just my opinion. I have nothing against the judges or DragonAvenger. You guys do excellent work for just being there and doing what you need to do.

Nice overall. Love the intro and the overall vibe. Vocals were pretty good...not wowing me here, but there are some nice parts here and there.

I don't want to be a critic, but I find it strange that the judges accepted a Remix like this and rejected Darangen's "Rest Tonight". That song was equally good, if not better than this one...particularly in the vocals. There are times when they're overly critical on the vocals and times when they say that they shouldn't be critical on vocals. Which is it?

I don't mean to offend anyone here. Just my opinion. I have nothing against the judges or DragonAvenger. You guys do excellent work for just being there and doing what you need to do.

Vocals don't just fall into two categories, "good" and "bad". There are LOTS of aspects of vocal recording and performance, as well as how the vocals are treated in the mix. Comparing "Rest Tonight" with this is comparing apples to oranges.

Vocals don't just fall into two categories, "good" and "bad". There are LOTS of aspects of vocal recording and performance, as well as how the vocals are treated in the mix. Comparing "Rest Tonight" with this is comparing apples to oranges.

Hmm...interesting. You do make a good point. It could be that my ears aren't trained to differinciate between certain technicalities. So hypothetically speaking...it's possible that you would say "yes" to a vocal mix with a voice as good as Pixietricks even though the production values aren't up to standards? Or do both the voice and the technicalities of recording have to be "above the bar"?

Hmm...interesting. You do make a good point. It could be that my ears aren't trained to differinciate between certain technicalities. So hypothetically speaking...it's possible that you would say "yes" to a vocal mix with a voice as good as Pixietricks even though the production values aren't up to standards? Or do both the voice and the technicalities of recording have to be "above the bar"?

It's sort of the whole package that needs to be looked at. I don't remember any mixes that were rejected where the vocals were well-performed and executed, but the recording quality brought it down...

I've always been a fan of the Besaid Island music so I was happy to see a remix of it on OCR. This remix was good, but you guys added too much to it. The vocals, while beautiful, were completely unncessary.

I love this mix, but more isn't always better.

8/10

P.S.

Can you put up an instrumental version of this song for download?

By the way, I loved the style first minute of the song. If you had gone with that for the entire song, it would have earned a 10/10.

Ah, sadly I must say I miss the original sound of this mix. This one's a bit too echoey for me. But still, I'm very pleased to see this mix made it, as it's about time someone remixed Besaid Island. That theme was begging for this treatement, and while I prefer the original inspiration that Avenger came up with, I don't deny that this one has class.

Thanks to everyone for their kind replies. This was a great christmas present for me and EFields! I'm certainly glad that people enjoyed it.

As for the mouseclick; ROFL! Zircon actually mentioned it at one point, but didn't say exactly where it was so I never heard it. I thought it was maybe his speakers or something (Lesson learned; always trust the judges). Even after knowing I barely heard it!

BUT:Summoner's Love

(NOW LESS MOUSECLICK!)

I REALLY like this :DDD Congrats to DragonAvenger as well--if you're reading this DA, I was so close to showing this to Jay from Hartt, he was just over. This is a really sweet arrangement, it makes me smile :DDD Congradulations!

Oh man, I don't know what he would have said to that. That would have been really awkward.

Can you put up an instrumental version of this song for download?

I can ask Efields (he has a forum profile, but really only so he can view responses and stuff, he's not a forum person), but I don't know if he has a place to upload it.

Again, thanks for the reviews, and I've already got another collab with him in the works! It's gonna rock!

I don't usually post reviews, but this one deserves my attention:

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by this song. When the vocals came in when I first listened to it, it took me by complete surprise (I was working on my story at the time, so I really wasn't paying attention), so much so that I had to stop the song and restart from the beginning just so I could hear it properly. I'm glad I did, because I love the song now. It did take a second listen to really get into it due to the vocals, but they grew on me the second time around.

I have to agree on some points, the vocals at various points did sound a bit nasal, the reverb was a bit much at times, and the pitch changes did throw me for a loop a few times. But it certainly didn't hurt the song enough to make me not love it. In fact, I really like songs that don't sound perfect, so this is right up my alley. It gives it a genuine feel, I think.

All in all, I think I'll give this one an 8.5 out of 10. Very well done, and I'm looking forward to your next collaboration!

BUT:Summoner's Love

(NOW LESS MOUSECLICK!)

You know what? You should put up a joke version: "LESS MOUSECLICK, MORE COWBELL!" 8)

boo on the "less mouseclick". i still likes it. :) personally, i think it gives it more of an intimate touch, like it was recorded there in the listeners home with them present, and it's like "there, recording's done... *click*"

anyway, still a very pretty song. despite any nitpicks anyone may have, this is still going to give you warm fuzzies. it's very soothing and uplifting.

as for the debates about people's voices comparing to other voices and certain mixes being voted YES and some NO and all that, let's try to keep debates like that out of people's reviews as a matter of courtesy.

carry on.

Very chilled, very soothing song.

The vocals didn't really catch my attention when I listened to it the first time, but after some reruns, they've really grown on me. I don't know what it is, nor can I describe it properly, but they sound very soft, and again, very soothing. Really pleasant.

So yeah, good song, and I hope to hear more.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember talking with you about this song on another forum and I'm so glad to see you get accepted at OCR! Congratulations! :D

Also, the production is pretty sweet. The echo/reverb effects applied to your voice makes you sound awesome and it's so calming. :) Oh, how I long to go to the beach right now...

Please post this at VGM3 when it's up. :D

6/7

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01537 - Final Fantasy X "Summoner's Love"