OCR01537 - Final Fantasy X "Summoner's Love"

djpretzel

If anyone came up to me and asked what song in Final Fantasy X I enjoyed the most, I'd tell them "Besaid Island." It's a random choice but one I'm very fond of. Memories of sleeping during the cold winters of Chicago, my home town I may never see again but hope to, curled up and lonely on my bed.

The television screen paused on Tidus' smiling face and the music playing as gentle as its intent in the background. I let it run for a week before I finally kept playing the game and even then I had an extra save file just for the sake of having the song to help myself fall asleep to.

To say the very least, I was anxious to see a remix of "Besaid Island" amongst ecstatic. Engulfed with hope, riddled with doubt, I hit play and let it flood my ears.

I was pleased to get a feel of smooth jazz but not strong enough into the genre to cancel it from calling it new age as well. Some may have said they couldn't hear Besaid Island's music until the 4:06 point, where it is blatantly obvious but I thought the beginning was very well presented.

It reminded me of tolling onto the start of the sand just prior to the walk toward the crashing waves and endless waters. You're walking across the concrete and dirt, and get excited to finally tread on the sand. Then your heart starts beating faster when you can not only hear the ocean but see it living before your eyes. And it's always a wonderful feeling if someone is with you to keep you company in your joy as well, thus what I felt with the wonderful vocals gracefully dancing into the music.

I do have to agree that the voice executed wouldn't work in many songs, unless you're an avid JPop listener but even then you need the proper tune (And I'm sure most, if not all of us have heard JPop/Rock once in our lives), but to this particular music, I think it's suitable, if not perfect. I actually thought midway the song,

"Her voice reminds me of Yuna." Oh, you make me enjoy singing once again. (I abandoned ten years of Chorus because I felt I wasn't good enough.)

So, just to shorten this up from what it could be, this is a -beautiful- remix and you both should be very proud. Thanks for making one of my comforting memories even moreso.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Besaid Island music from FFX is probably my favorite from the game's soundtrack. This ReMix is loads of nostalgic value for me, in addition to being a well-made mix in general. This is just one of those ReMixes that I can listen to over and over again... great, soothing work.

Besaid Island is definitely one of my favorite songs from the FFX soundtrack. With that said, I think you did a great job with this, although the first time through the vocals caught me by surprise since they come in so pretty far into the song, but I think it works pretty well. I saw a few people said that they couldn't hear the Besaid Island themes until about 4:06 into it, but the first time through I hear it a few times before then, just not as blatant as later on in the song. Nice work.

I definitely liked this track from the game.

I can imagine that this one would be a hard one to remix and arrange. EFields did a good job of varying the song and arrangement up, though. There's not much to the original song, so good job.

The vocals are DragonAvenger's best, I think. The added echo and reverb really helps. The lyrics are written very well. They really match with the instrumentation. It's got a chill vibe going on.

The only thing that I don't really like is the ending.. and this is probably more a matter of taste. The abrupt ending kind of threw me off.

I was expecting the instrumentation to slowly fade and decrease in volume, but it just ended with a vocal line.

I would recommend anyone to download this and add it to your collection. It's definitely worth a listen. I'll always have it in my collection.

I hope to see more from Efields and definitely more from DragonAvenger. Keep up the great work!

I really wish this hadn't ended up being the only thing we ever heard from DragonAvenger. I love this song... it's dopey and makes me think of my grilfriend.

You haven't checked the WIP boards lately. I have something in progress, as well as a mix to be posted that I was a part of. I'm definately still making new stuff!

Glad everyone liked the piece who's commented!

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The intro evokes U2's Where the Streets Have No Name and Tears for Fear's Everybody Wants to Rule the World.. I have to admit I like that. While no section made me go "whoa!", the backing is solid throughout.

Lyrics are a bit flat, but they work really well in the context and the whole evokes a definite beachy, sunny, lovey-dovey warm imagery. Personally I'm a bit meh with them but I have to admit they work. It's also hard to hear the lyrics, they could be more clearly sung in my opinion. Singing could be more confident/stronger (I don't mean louder) and the pitch is not superb (especially the lowest notest which start the verses), but it's ok. Just something to work on. The vocals work best in the later half of the middle break 02:54-03:04.

--Eino

• 1 month later...

Somehow I missed this track, but after doing some random searches I found it and downloaded it and.... im happy.

The besaid theme kicks in right away and even though at many times the original score hides in warm watery pool that is this track the style and warm vibes still keep you in the Besaid mood.

The vocal caught me off gaurd and seemed out of place the first sentence but as soon as those warm strings accompanied the vocals it easly turned into OCR's top finest

definitely a track that makes you reminisce the good old times we had defeating Sin.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I <3 this song so much. Back in March I set myself a goal of listening to every song on the site and rating them in itunes (about 1500 down so far!)... a bunch of other songs have made me want to post comments but this is the one that finally motivated me to create an account.

EFields's instrumental mix is very chill and soothing - just like the original Besaid Island (although I didn't even realize this was a Besaid Island remix the first time I heard it). I like his use of percussion too - although it's nothing elaborate, I think he uses exactly enough to keep things interesting... I know if I were trying to make something like this I'd be tempted to just go crazy with those synth pads. But what sets the song apart is definitely DragonAvenger's vocals. As djp said, her singing style is definitely reminiscent of some Asian pop music (so much that I originally thought she was singing in Japanese) but I think it really works here. I think she just perfectly conveys the mood this song is going for and matches EFields's work really well. Finally, the "let me be in your story" line at the end strikes me as completely brilliant and haunting.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, great mix that I totally missed for some reason, I guess that's the beauty of OCR though, it's the gift that keeps on giving if you dig through the vaults (and haven't... already heard everything, which is rather hard to do anyway).

I have to say that like the writeup mentioned this almost sounds like J-Pop but in English obviously, under the circumstances it works perfectly though. Besaid was one of my favorite tracks from the game, just so incredibly peaceful, and yet for some reason I never really considered how it might sound in this context (answer: awesome).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Elegant sound complete with a floaty vibe. I have to say I like how things have turned out here, but I'm not totally sold on specific elements. I think the vocals were a real gamble. These could have cut the legs out from under this whole thing and made it a dispicable mess. Thankfully, that isn't the case. But it still leaves me with a jarring vision of how horrible this could have been.

I think the problem lies with the narrow range of the vocals. DragonAvenger seems content at singing this in one specific way without chamging it up at all. Again, the instrumental aspects of the mix manage to make this work, and perhaps that was the intended reason for these vocals.

The instrumental portions are fantastic and are the sole reason this is a success. I can hear the island influence, but also a fresh and very satisfying synth rhythm.

Yes, the vocals do conjure up a J-Pop sensibility, but sometimes even J-Pop artists start to tread over the 'just plain flat sounding' line. This mix is as close to that line as I'd want to hear on OCRemix. I'm happy if people can make it work well creatively (as is done here, and with many other examples), but I think if you've got the talent to give those vocals more range, do so.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Okay, so I absolutely love Besaid Island. The look, the music, and the general easy-going atmosphere makes it one of the towns that I would have picked to live in if given the chance in some fictional turn of events. That being said, DA's voice carries that same kind of easy-going, floating pleasantry that I originally got from that place. Gotta say, I think this may be one of my favorite vocal ReMixes from DA, and I think EFields handled the arrangement quite well. Nice work both of you.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01537 - Final Fantasy X "Summoner's Love"