OCR01538 - Metroid "Sugar, Water, Purple"

djpretzel

I've always been a fan of Shnab's VGMix piano works in a similar vein to this one. At first I was really craving for more Metroid, since many parts of this sound too spartanly away from the original from which it's trying to spin (or is it?).

I guess you could say that unlike what the write-up says, I can browse the internet while listening and really feel this piano at the same time. It's quite a focused sound throughout the whole, and yet all over the place. It's like what I'd sound like if I could actually play in some decent keys, and keep in focus, while I'm randomly banging on the piano instead of practicing. Perhaps many other lazy newb piano players can say the same thing.

I really like how it transitions from the ending silence back into the beginning of the track. But overall I still wish it was a little more thematic like your FF9 or Earthbound VGMix. Maybe it's actually the same as those, but put simply this original tune craves for more something like what this piece has become.

Sam's work time-after-time has shown precision, affluence, style, and raw energetic talent. Video game remixes just don't get better than this. There's a lot of detailing here revolving around a relatively simple melody. It's classic stuff, no doubt, though the technology was inherently limiting from a creative standpoint.

To go in an expand on the tune w/ his purely on-the-fly arranging virtuosity is both astounding and inspired. As David pointed out, it's frightening that this is after all improvised - but I'm not surprised; Sam is the real deal. I've heard this kind of instantaneous ingenuity first hand... it's just jaw-droppingly cool.

And that ending... nothin' beats it. Freakin' fantastic. Thanks for such a great Christmas present, Sam. It's definitely from the heart.

Jeron

Wow. This was absolutely incredible. I downloaded this without reading the write-up, so I didn't know what to expect. By 1:30, I had completely stopped what I was doing and was just focusing on the mix, without even realizing it. It shows a level of technical skill that is just unfathomable to me, and creative instinct that I'm envious of. A brilliant arrangement, through and through.

I think my problem with a lot of shanaubuasifuweiaf's stuff is that I can't just relax and enjoy it. There's too much crap in the way like, "fuck what is this gmidi with effects?" or "christ where's the source tune" ... or the obligatory "why did the judges pass this when XYZ was rejected?"

That kind of thing.

Bullshit aside, it's clearly impressive and enjoyable as hell.

Im iffish on it, some parts i love, others i hate. Its really 'all over the place' in some areas and that bothers me for reasons unknown to me.

And yes, the source material is god knows where, it starts off kinda nice then goes pretty much crazy and deviates so much that i dont really know whats going on anymore. Yea, thats probably the point but i wish it would atleast stick closer to the source.

Also some really awkward notes.. but there is so much going on at times its honestly hard for me to focus on the track. when he settles the fuck down, i can enjoy it a lot more.

I saw the name of this song and almost immediately, I burst out into laughter ("I want that purple stuff..." FTW). On principle alone I had to listen to this. I figured a song with this brilliant of a name must be some kind of good, and I wasn't disappointed. The song starts off well enough but gets really interesting after things slow down around 1:30 or so. Everything after that was just fine. This piece was a lot of fun to listen to, and I'll be enjoying it for some time.

Drank n!%$&@ that is DRANK! Aint no vitamins or nutrients in drank!... WTF IS JUICE!!! WHAT IS JUICE! SUPRIZE!! YOU DIDN'T THINK I KNEW ABOUT JUICE!

Thanks Mr. Biggler hahahaha first person to get the title as far as I know!

I wasn't yet a part of the fourms, but I too instantly caught on to the title. Keep up the great work!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01538 - Metroid "Sugar, Water, Purple"