Should I add vocals to this?

jane

Just spent mega time agonising over my latest excursion into ~synthcore~. Happy with but DOES IT NEED VOCALS? I've picked a bunch of melody lines in my head but this genre (whatever it is) doesn't often seem to actually have vocals in it? I guess 'cos it's so naturally busy/layered:

And if I ever have to perform these drums live I will scream. My calves hurt, I think I broke my big toe and the 10/8 section is a nightmare. What was I thinking

Edited by jane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think vocals work with this song at all, or at least I can't imagine it. There's far too much going on, and I feel the vocals would be competing with the rest of the song. If you desire vocals, you need to back off on some of the excitement coming from the synth(s) and allow something a little closer to a proper verse/chorus arrangement. So unless you plan to rework some of it, I agree with the first part of what Blue Metal Machine said: don't force it.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, dgrove said:

I don't think vocals work with this song at all, or at least I can't imagine it. There's far too much going on, and I feel the vocals would be competing with the rest of the song. If you desire vocals, you need to back off on some of the excitement coming from the synth(s) and allow something a little closer to a proper verse/chorus arrangement. So unless you plan to rework some of it, I agree with the first part of what Blue Metal Machine said: don't force it.

Back off on some EXCITEMENT? My good human, I don't like the sound of that at all!

Remember vocals can be done in countless ways. If desired, start laying stuff out and you'll know if things need adjusted or not. I found sometime adding vocals doesn't mean ad too much. Maybe something basic and repetitive etc. Again, if your hearing something in your head let it out. Otherwise it may seem forced. Send something if you get somewhere with it.