Fuzzy Belmont - Castlevania

CoSG

I've been working on a guitar-heavy cover/remix of some Castlevania stages.  I'm still working on the composition.  This is a very early draft.  It still has some timing problems and I'm not totally happy with the arrangement.  I'm going for a "rock" sound with some "blues rock" feel.  I'm generally happy with the section from 1:20-2:20.  I'm thinking about expanding on those ideas and cutting some of the other sections.  Does anyone have any other suggestions to improve the arrangement?

All guitars and bass were recorded live.  The guitars are using various fuzz pedals (hence the track name "Fuzzy Belmont") with a little delay/reverb.  The drums are simple MIDI loops with a few fills.  I'm still learning MIDI so I'm hoping I can make it sound better in the future.

Thanks!

-Rob

Hi there, I'm not really a rock remixer, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

Good source choice for a start, it's a catchy tune. However, I feel like the tempo is a little slow and it's neither rock nor blues. Not fast enough to be rock, and not enough swing and swagger to be blues. The drums are so rigid that it highlights the timing errors in the guitar. The bass has a nice groove to it, so try and play with the swing controller on your MIDI drums to match that. For my first remix, I couldn't find the swing control so I had to manually move the MIDI notes to make it sound like a nicer groove! :tomatoface: Much easier when the computer can do it for you. I don't know which DAW you're using, but Google will help you with a lot of MIDI and DAW questions.

It's a long way off OCR standard, but if you're new to this then don't worry, you'll improve quickly if you keep tinkering with things and learning what things do.