Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Elysium in the Blue Sky

Vidilian

The sounds are quite harsh, considering it's a fairly mellow arrangement. The piano right out of the gate is very jarring - definitely work on humanising and expressing that part a little more naturally, and dropping the volume in the mix. The synth in the background 00:14-00:45 sounds a bit like a bagpipe as well - not particularly pleasant to my ear. It gets much nicer from 00:47 with that trancey-style synth dripping in delay, and those nice bells, however the bagpipe soon comes back!

I like the arrangement at the moment, but the sound design could be a lot better. Consider sculpting your synths more with EQ and filtering, maybe add some more voices to the synth, phasing and LFO panning/extra width to envelop the listener in the atmosphere.

Thanks for feedback.

Update.

Adjusted reverb and fader for piano so it's hopefully more realistic. I'm playing all parts by hand already with just slight adjustments to overly sloppy keys, so not sure how else to humanise.

Adjusted parameters of the bagpipe sounding synth so it's less annoying and more atmospheric. Toned down bass synth a bit.

Extended the song. Shifted the key in the new part to match the key of the original "Elysium in the Blue Sky". Will extend a bit more later.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update
Tweaks to fader levels, reverb and EQ to clean up mix without going too far this time hopefully. 
Transposed 2 of the synths to different octaves in the initial parts of the song in a way that should better benefit the mix 
along  with other changes to one of them. 
Also changed one of the other synths to legato as the attack was being problematic.