OCR04079 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version "Farewell, Beloved Ones"

Rexy

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
  • Name of arrangement: Farewell Beloved Ones
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Lavender Town
  • Comments: I liked the idea of turning this creepy track into a mourning/death-is-part-of-life track, and went for a post-rock vibe

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/11/02 - Pokémon Red Version "Farewell Beloved Ones"
  • 4 weeks later...

I absolutely adore what you've done here. The Lavender Town melody is recognizable throughout, but the reharmonization presents it in an entirely new light that somehow still manages to work in context of the original game. This remix has so many layers of emotional nuance and keeps me gripped the entire way through. You nailed the post-rock buildup, and although I wanted to hear more of a dramatic climax, this still tells a complete story as-is, and I can't find any serious fault with the execution.

This is an easy pass for me - hope to hear more of this from you in the future!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2019/11/02 - (1Y) Pokémon Red Version "Farewell Beloved Ones"

The transformations here are lovely.  Changing the key from a modified Lydian scale to straight-up minor key immediately changed the source's character to something less ominous and more solemn.  The same is true for the arpeggio's pacing remaining as it is while bringing the melody into half-time for the first 90 seconds.  The framework is well structured too - the melody's restoration to standard time at 1:28, the violin countermelody at 2:03, and the bass drums from 2:40 onwards have shaped a robust dynamic curve while still keeping both the source modification and melancholy mood.  On a personal note, this track made me feel emotional just listening to it - so consider that a worthy accomplishment!

The execution is excellent, too - a well-balanced mix, a suitable mixdown with layers aplenty, and great attention to dynamics during the track's running time.  Your pads, chimes and piano all sound great with appropriate broad reverb, subtle note overlaps, and a careful spread of velocities to keep at its emotive level.  The violin, while not the most realistic one I've heard, has substantial attention to detail with vibrato, slow attacks, and equally well-shaped releases.  The only issue I have is with the ending tail, which suddenly cuts off - something that I'd like a fix for before getting posted, but is no big deal if it doesn't.

I said during my vote for "The Princess and the Wolf" that I wanted to hear more interpretation beyond a subtractive level - and this track ticked that box.  Pair it with emotive writing and execution, and this is a mighty sophomore effort. Beautiful work, Danilo!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/11/02 - (2Y) Pokémon Red Version "Farewell, Beloved Ones"
  • Chimpazilla changed the title to 2019/11/02 - (3Y) Pokémon Red Version "Farewell, Beloved Ones"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04079 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version "Farewell, Beloved Ones"
  • Liontamer locked this topic