Rexy

ReMixer name: Eladar
Email address: 
User ID: 33527
Game arranged: Sonic & Knuckles
Name of arrangement: Volcanic Glass
Individual songs arranged: Lava Reef Zone: Act 1, Lava Reef Zone: Act 2
Links to sources:

"Volcanic Glass" is a synth-heavy arrangement of Acts 1 and 2 from Sonic & Knuckles' Lava Reef Zone. I always loved the inherent juxtaposition of Lava Reef, environment-wise: the fiery magma of Act 1 vs. the cool, almost ice-like crystal structures of Act 2. Likewise Act 2's background music is such a great reinvention of Act 1's, and together they fit their respective level designs perfectly.

So the goal with this remix was to try and blend the smooth intrigue of Act 2's theme with some of the intensity of Act 1's. Genre-wise it's a mix of things - early on there's some downtempo/chillout vibes, but later it gets more energetic. I suppose there's some synthwave influence too (plenty of analog-style leads and pads). Hope you enjoy!

• 2 months later...
  • DarkeSword changed the title to 2019/11/10 - (1Y) Sonic & Knuckles "Volcanic Glass"

Pretty rad! I love the predominant use of the glassy tones here. Lots of complex writing and varied sound design keeps this engaging while still retaining the signature chillout vibe you were going for. Things got muddy during the busier sections due to the high level of reverb on your leads and the presence of the supersaw stabs, for example, so on future submissions, I would suggest trying to rein in your reverb slightly (maybe try using a send track and EQ'ing the reverb signal itself so you can sculpt the reverb signal to reduce mud.) It's an easy trap to fall into with chillout arrangements. I also feel like your leads in general sat rather quietly in the mix - a very slight volume boost to give them more presence might not be a bad idea.

In spite of those issues, this sounds good enough to my ears as-is! There's room for improvement on the production side but there's a lot of creativity in both the sound design and arrangement that helps this succeed on its own merits. Nice job!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2019/11/10 - (2Y) Sonic & Knuckles "Volcanic Glass"

I'm impressed with how you used the sources. The framework essentially boils down to ideas from act 2, then act 1, then back to act 2 and act 1 with entirely new integration - which is a sweet way to explore the similarities and differences between both sources.  You allowed for transformations in the melodies to shape up this framework - and except for 22 seconds combined from the bookends, the VGM is present entirely, so no problems with dominance whatsoever.  The backing element integration got used straight, however, but as they are responsible for carrying the source through when melodies are absent, there was no need to change them up in the first place.

The production values aren't too shabby either.  The choice of instruments for the palette is excellent and appropriate for the crystalline direction.  The synths have some well-expressed envelopes and modulation as well, and the use of reverb is a fitting choice that compliments your sound choices.  Much like Wes, I also sensed mud going across your leads, so the idea of putting EQ on the reverb can give a lot more breathing room for your bells and mallets.  I can also argue that the synth leads are quieter in the mix than the chimes when it should ideally be the other way round, but whether this is an after-effect of the reverb use is hard to tell.

Nevertheless, it's an enjoyable and meaningful romp.  The source is more dominant than cars in a traffic jam, the transformations are engaging throughout, and the sound design has more pros than cons.  This track is a worthwhile sophomore effort and one I'll be happy to see on the front page.  Great job, Darren!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/11/10 - (3Y) Sonic & Knuckles "Volcanic Glass"
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2019/11/10) *YES - TAG* Sonic & Knuckles "Volcanic Glass"
  • Liontamer locked this topic