Submission Information:
 Title - "Front move"
 Name of game arranged - TMNT Tournament fighters
 System: NES
 Name of individual song arranged - BGM3, Waterfront
 Link to the original soundtrack -

Hello!
Second in a row of "different" tracks.
If I recall correctly this mix has 32 tracks of instruments(only 3 tarcks for drums and percussion) and lot of effects chains.
Actually it's a monster.
Made it two years ago.

Cool percussion. Gtrs kinda sharp and abrasive. Sometimes cymbals overloaded.
Overall sounds messy and annoying.
NO. Resub.

Thank you!
SFME!

• 2 months later...

The treatment of the source is gritty and exciting - I appreciate the use of backing synths to carry section A's use, and then the B sections (0:41, 3:03) transformed the source into the Persian scale, and with different chord progressions to boot.  Keeping the rhythms of the motif and changing the mode gave the melody use there a more unexpected character and worth using as a hook.  The A-sections (0:13, 1:21) had drum writing variations, with the second one having great use of double kick to build up excitement leading into the first guitar solo.  Both guitar solos serve well for differing purposes - the first to lift energy before the breakdown at 2:16, and the second to slow-burn into the B section variation at 3:03 and the livelier synth writing present.  The only questionable thing about the arrangement is the ending and how it just fizzles out, but that's more of a subjective point of view.  It's still a remarkable use of the source, and additionally, some stable construction of the framework.

The production values are also as sharp as I expect from you - well-recorded guitars, clarity across the mix, and some sweet envelope / keyswitch work on the synths that give them life.  The balance is also firm - though, I would've wanted the synth lead during the A sections to get dominance over the rhythm guitar as they're the ones carrying the source.  Said synth also is going slightly overboard on the resonance throughout, though I can chalk that up to genre inspirations.

For me, there's a lot to love about the track overall.   Tastefully edgy production values, a fun mixture of straight use and differing modes for melody representation, an engaging structure, and clean performance chops all contribute to a fun listen overall.  I feel it's set for the front page in this form and should make an entrance with a cry of "cowabunga."  Excellent work, Mak!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/11/04 - (1Y) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters "Front Move"

mak's always got the best submission mails :lmassoff:

what an aggressive and mean intro. i love it! particularly the snare, i'm a sucker for a giant trash-can snare sound. i also love the use of phrygian dominant mode - it's such a unique-sounding mode and you really get into it regularly. great job highlighting it with the humanization on the synths carrying it as well. i also liked that such an aggressive track regularly had big breaks to allow it to not get too tiresome over and over again. the big B section at 2:50 was also a great way to emphasize the idea under a half-time beat. rexy's right, the ending's really cheesy, but the track's arrangement is great so it doesn't bother me.

from a mastering side this is great. i didn't mind the guitar-forward feel of the track mainly because the synth lead was high enough that it'd cut through whatever you put under it. there's a lot of presence, it's meaty without feeling crunched down, and the breaks don't feel like i cant hear them.

excellent work as always. easy vote.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Wish the mixing was cleaner during the denser sections  so that the different parts could be heard more distinctly (worst offender by far was 1:34-1:47), but despite the issues, the overall production was solid albeit not ideal.

Too bad though, because I think the way the textures weren't clear undermined the strength of the arrangement, since it was more difficult than it needed to be to follow along with the source melody.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/11/04 - (3Y) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters "Front Move"

Gritty. The guitars, while sounding great with a Ramstein feel to their performance, overpower the synths a bit here. I understand the synths aren't the focus, but they become so subtle at times, that they don't really need to be there. The guitars could perhaps do with a subtle tapering to the low-end to allow things to breathe more. Things improve a bit over the first minute. The 1:50 guitar lead carries a nice tone and performance. The percussion, while robotic, was enjoyable, and fit the mix well. Arrangement is relatively straightforward, but enjoyable. Overall, despite some of the concerns, this is a good take on the original. 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04121 - *YES* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters "Front Move"
  • Rexy locked this topic