What are you up to these days?

BloomingLate

29 minutes ago, Grey Ninja said:

Not trying to start any drama.  But I'm reminiscing about the old days when I used to frequent this place.  The site used to look like this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050309050153/http://www.ocremix.org/

When the redesign went live, I upset the pretzel by posting a greasemonkey script to make it look a little more like that.  He deleted my entire post history and banned me.  I was unbanned shortly after, but I decided to leave anyway.  From all the unfamiliar usernames, it looks like almost everyone I knew has gone (Hello liontamer and darkesword though!).  This was the last forum that I frequented.  I miss the old internet before these stupid upvotes and downvotes, and you could just have a conversation.

I love you all for keeping it alive.

Yeah, all the new platforms have their utility, but... I also sorta miss the old internet landscape when it felt like an archipelago of forums. It was harder to access any given individual, but communities felt more concrete. (Of course, the same arguments can be made about life before the internet, so...)

I wonder how the landscape will evolve from here on out...

On 11/30/2020 at 4:47 AM, KellyU89 said:

I'm now studying at the university remotely. I'm interested in creative writing courses, so I have been trying to write something interesting.

I feel bad for university students during covid. Do you feel like remote learning is worth the $ for you personally right now?

And how do writing ideas come to you, if I may ask

God I don't envy students today.  (Well, I'm trans, so I do and I don't.  That wasn't really an option when I was in school.).  I was a terrible student because I thought it was largely a waste of time.  I thought my time was better spent hacking my DS than getting good grades.  It has to be even more emphatic during a pandemic.  But you also can't get the in-person practice at life that University is great for.

21 hours ago, Grey Ninja said:

God I don't envy students today.  (Well, I'm trans, so I do and I don't.  That wasn't really an option when I was in school.).  I was a terrible student because I thought it was largely a waste of time.  I thought my time was better spent hacking my DS than getting good grades.  It has to be even more emphatic during a pandemic.  But you also can't get the in-person practice at life that University is great for.

Out of curiosity, can you say whether hacking your DS led to certain skills that led to other skills that led to something good?

I agree about the in-person practice. Without that practice with all the different kinds of friends and professors... I know my first stint in school would not have been worth the opportunity costs. Just giving me a societally acceptable way of moving a state or two away from home was exactly what my sheltered teenage self needed at the time.

There's lots of people that covid sucks for, but... it would suck to be a sheltered kid getting even more sheltering.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:18 PM, Bironzu said:

Starcraft 2 co op and trying to get back into Smash Melee or Ultimate

Anyone playing these?

Been playing a shitton of starcraft 2 1v1 and smash melee. Feel free to hit me up for some slippi matches sometime!

Also obligatory #FreeMelee

Edited by Geoffrey Taucer