Paths Less Travelled Volume 2: Secret of Evermore

Long time OCR member and album contribution veteran @Dj Mokram has officially joined the project, taking the Pyramid source. 

It's really nice to see this album coming together with a mixture of old skool remixers and some of the newer contributors to the site. I've been lax with my weekly updates (mainly because I'm not entirely sure what day it is half the time) but I'd like to thank everyone who's joined the album project so far as well as those who have taken the time to just check out this thread. Let's see what the coming weeks bring!

First Draft sent in a PM.  Not sure if it hit all the directors.  PM me if I missed you and want to hear it. 

(edit) Also, wow at some of the real big names joining.  Maybe bigger than last project.  Which I've listened to at least 2 dozen times.  Really nice work all around.  I think this Secret of Evermore will be just as dope. 

Edited by HoboKa

6 hours ago, TSori said:

I'm happy to offer trumpet performance skills to anyone who needs them!

I may also consider claiming a track, but I need to get some other stuff done first.

Hey thanks TSori! Much appreciated! We'd love to have you as part of the album, so here's hoping you're able to clear your workload in the near future :)

19 minutes ago, TSori said:

Upon further thought.  Id like to claim 

Ivor Tower-Side Chambers

Im thinking a Noir jazz trio between harmon muted trumpet, upright bass, and piano.  It should lend itself well to atmospheric effects, and give me an opportu ity to finally record sonething with my harmon mute.  

Amazing! Welcome aboard, buddy! I'll DM you with check-in dates and whatnot.

Hot off his solo debut on the Golden Sun album, @guitarSVD has claimed the Storekeepers source and officially joined the project! 

I apologise for the lack of updates, I have no other excuse other than I'm rubbish at providing updates.

However I'm happy to say that album is moving along nicely. We've got 15 claimed tracks now, which will be more than enough for a single disc release if we don't manage to entice anyone else onboard.

I'm feeling the loss of the signatures quite keenly at the moment, as they were a great method of non-direct advertisement for the project. A few quick forum posts in different sections of the site and you've suddenly brought the album to the attention of people who otherwise wouldn't be aware of it. Ah well, got to move with the times I guess.

A huge thank you to everyone who's gotten involved with the project so far, you guys rock! Without wanting to sound too cringeworthy; if you could perhaps mention this project to any remixer friends you might have to try and get those sources claimed I'd greatly appreciate it.

Stay safe, everyone!

STATEMENT

It has recently been brought to our attention that certain accusations have been made against Jeremy Soule, the composer for Secret of Evermore. The accusations came to light long before we decided to tackle Secret or Evermore, however for whatever reason neither Dai nor myself were aware of it at the time.

Since we were made aware of this information there's been a lot conversation between Dai and myself, with some input also being sought from @djpretzel. djp pointed me towards his statement attached to THIS POST he made back in April and has confirmed that OCR will be happy to release and promote the album.

My outlook on the situation is similar to that expressed in the post linked above. I do not condone the actions of anyone seeking to abuse another in any setting. That should go without saying, but sadly in this day and age it probably should be spelled out. In the case of this album I am celebrating the music of the game, not necessarily the composer himself. Separating the art from the artist is always a dicey subject to tackle, but I am personally OK with carrying on with the project.

Unfortunately, PLT creator and my assistant-director for this album @Drawn by Dai has decided to step down from the project in light of this information. He asked that I include the following statement in this post:

With great regret I can no longer in good conscience affix myself to this project. Even though the grander premise of this album is to draw light on the game Secret of Evermore, we’re effectively and almost exclusively honouring Jeremy Soule’s work in our approach.

This isn’t a decision I take lightly. I’ve been objective, argued, justified and cajoled myself over every aspect and side of the issue, and sadly I can’t keep on. Quite besides the fact it’s tainted a lot of my childhood experiences, I must stick by principle, and I can’t conveniently ignore the accusations. I won’t be happy with myself doing the project, and possibly not afterwards, having done it. It’s up to all of us to make our own decisions. This, with respect, is just mine.

I completely understand and respect his decision in this and it leads me to my next point of action. It's entirely possible that there other people now involved with this project who are also unaware of the controversy regarding the games composer. As such I will be contacting everyone individually asking them if they wish to continue on the album. If anyone wishes to leave them I will completely understand.

Just chiming in - no matter what Soule did, this game's soundtrack is a part of many folks' childhoods, and nothing changes that. However, deciding to participate in this project is one of those topics where, personally, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I've explained my personal reasoning, and how I conceive of art in the abstract, but I'm not offended if anyone finds it unpersuasive/disagrees. Key thing is that no one gets judged, either way, for their decision on this, or attempts to equate others' decisions to participate with a tacit endorsement of the behavior in question.

Well, if the Cancel Culture mob comes after me for continuing on with the project, so be it; I'll brace it with a "come at me bruh" pose.  Besides I don't really have Social Media anymore...  So I'm gonna continue on.

Also, I'm gonna save the speculation for the private chats and withhold my thoughts publicly.  I spew enough bullshit here as it is. 

Edited by HoboKa

30 minutes ago, Meteo Xavier said:

Are there new allegations against Soule? If not, I'm not sure how it's only now come to your attention. The news about Nathalie Lawhead* was back in 2019.

* - As far as I know, I'm not related to Nathalie Lawhead. I did email her to ask if she knew any family relationship between us and never got a response.

Simply a case of not being in my news sphere, I guess. 

Certainly a sad revelation that puts fans in an uncomfortable position. I agree that music is not the man; I have many of his soundtracks and can listen to them and enjoy the music on its own merits.

However, to be involved in any associated production, which as mentioned above- invariably honors the artist and thus the man, facilitating the very position of fame and power that he exploited against women, is just not an endeavor I wish to lend my own work towards. There's a difference between a dude just havin' bad game, and being an actual predator and misogynistic creep, which unfortunately seems to be the case here.

So yeah, as much as I dig Evermore, I'm afraid I must bow out of this one. I wish everyone the best though, I'm sure it will be a cool album.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, Meteo Xavier said:

I'm not sure how it's only now come to your attention.

Yeah, that'd be my bad. Was talking with Trism and he mentioned a slowdown in the recruitment, so I alluded to it maybe being affected by "the allegations", unaware that he and Dai didn't know about it. Trust me, the last thing I wanted was to derail the first OCR project I'd gathered the courage to join in seven centuries. So sorry guys, send all the tomatoes my way. :cry: