Bundeslang

PRC409 - Storming In The Night (Grind Stormer)

Recommended Posts

The People's Remix Competition 409
PRCv17-07


Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

DJ Mokram was the only one who got something in for PRC407. So he won by default and picked a source for PRC409. 

 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:24 PM, Dj Mokram said:

V・V also known as Grind Stormer outside of Japan is the first game programmed by Tsuneki Ikeda, co-founder of Cave, the legendary STG developper. It was influenced by Salamander (Life Force in NA) and is notable for being the last Toaplan game to feature an FM synthesis soundtrack, composed by Mashiro Yuge. 'Night Bird' a pretty intense boss theme featuring an aggressive bassline, a soaring lead and a clear backing supported by a steady groove which should translate well into various styles of arrangement. Hope you'll have fun with this one. :)

 

 

Grind Stormer Night Bird.mp3 2.31 MB · 1 download GrindStormer NightBird.mid 18.74 kB · 1 download

Source: Grind Stormer (GEN) - Night Bird

MIDI File

MP3 File

 

Source Information

 

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

 

The deadline is Wednesday June 10th 2020 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread.

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC411, the rounds after next round.

The winner of PRC407, DJ Mokram, who picked this source, can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix. His vote is doubled in the voting stage. 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

 

GOOD LUCK!

 

PRC Home Page

Edited by Bundeslang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 11:34 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

I don't know about you, but i can't work with this MIDI. It seems it was poorly converted instead of hand written. (120bpm? It's 144bpm)

Weird, the midi I linked comes straight from VGMusic. Doesn't have any author listed though, so not sure who did the original transcription.

 

On 6/2/2020 at 6:26 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Entrant submitted!

Thanks for taking a pass at the source. This made my day. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dj Mokram said:

Weird, the midi I linked comes straight from VGMusic. Doesn't have any author listed though, so not sure who did the original transcription.

 

Thanks for taking a pass at the source. This made my day. :)

I know when things are converted, based on what the MIDI looks like. More often than not, i like to add my own elements alongside the pre-existing MIDI, so if it's not on grid, it's out of time, and makes it difficult to work with. I don't blame anyone for using VGMusic, you just need to find the right file, from the right person (Which does exist by the way, some sources chosen came with some really good MIDI's to work with). This is why i always make my own MIDI's when i submit my source choices if i were to be winner, because i feel safe knowing it's on the grid. Converters exist because it's easy and fast, but they don't pay attention to quality or have any quality control.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dj Mokram said:

Less than a day left, hoping for a few more entries this round.

I hope so as well, but we do have popular sources go unnoticed, probably because it's a busy period and folks are working jobs, or stuff like that. So i can't always guarantee anything. The Ridge Racer only ended up with me doing a bonus submission.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheVideoGamer Nah, I honestly think (and I've said so in the past) that this compo deserves to be promoted in some way. Afaik, there is no advertisement/relay either on social media or in podcasts, meaning the success of this event depends largely on recurrent participation through word of mouth. Which, don't get me wrong, can be endearing as a VGM Fight Club of sorts, but at the same time is baffling considering the strength in numbers this community has. Not to mention @Bundeslang has already removed the last barrier of entry that was having to sign up on TS to participate. There very well could be half a dozen entries every round if we just posted/tweeted/talked about it outside of this forum subsection. Unless of course the point was to keep the circle small all along, in which case I'll just shut up and keep remixing. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheVideoGamer wins by default and may pick another source, for PRC411.

Dj Mokram is right about this contest. It needs more promotion (outside Ocremix) to get more people participating. More is happening outside forums and the forums here are nowadays visited less. I hardly have the time to keep the contest up, so I'm unable to do some promotion of this contest which is necessary to get more life in the contest. I can keep this contest up, but that's all I can do. If anyone wants to help by promoting this contest he or she is encouraged (I'm also willing to mention this in the first post).

For now, I'll just continue (and start PRC410 (round 17-08) as normal and that will also be the first rounds after that). I'm thinking about the future of this contest as well for a while, perhaps the time has come to finish the contest at some point. If anyone has any ideas, he/she is encouraged to post them in this thread. One thing is for sure, if I decide to finish and stop the contest, there will be a 'last round' (and maybe some special rounds) which will be announced at least two rounds before it will take place (meaning that I don't stop this contest in the next three months already so don't worry about that :grin:).

 

Edited by Bundeslang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

TheVideoGamer wins by default and may pick another source, for PRC411.

Dj Mokram is right about this contest. It needs more promotion (outside Ocremix) to get more people participating. More is happening outside forums and the forums here are nowadays visited less. I hardly have the time to keep the contest up, so I'm unable to do some promotion of this contest which is necessary to get more life in the contest. I can keep this contest up, but that's all I can do. If anyone wants to help by promoting this contest he or she is encouraged (I'm also willing to mention this in the first post).

For now, I'll just continue (and start PRC410 (round 17-08) as normal and that will also be the first rounds after that). I'm thinking about the future of this contest as well for a while, perhaps the time has come to finish the contest at some point. If anyone has any ideas, he/she is encouraged to post them in this thread. One thing is for sure, if I decide to finish and stop the contest, there will be a 'last round' (and maybe some special rounds) which will be announced at least two rounds before it will take place (meaning that I don't stop this contest in the next three months already so don't worry about that :grin:).

 

PRC411 coming soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 8:48 PM, Dj Mokram said:

@TheVideoGamer Nah, I honestly think (and I've said so in the past) that this compo deserves to be promoted in some way. Afaik, there is no advertisement/relay either on social media or in podcasts, meaning the success of this event depends largely on recurrent participation through word of mouth. Which, don't get me wrong, can be endearing as a VGM Fight Club of sorts, but at the same time is baffling considering the strength in numbers this community has. Not to mention @Bundeslang has already removed the last barrier of entry that was having to sign up on TS to participate. There very well could be half a dozen entries every round if we just posted/tweeted/talked about it outside of this forum subsection. Unless of course the point was to keep the circle small all along, in which case I'll just shut up and keep remixing. :D

Honestly it really comes down to availability. I can't do every source, because i might not like it, or it's too hard to remix. These factors can come into play. Maybe that's why nobody did Ridge Racer, because it wasn't easy. Even this has it's challenges, and it's only a 50 second genesis source. Anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

TheVideoGamer wins by default and may pick another source, for PRC411.

Dj Mokram is right about this contest. It needs more promotion (outside Ocremix) to get more people participating. More is happening outside forums and the forums here are nowadays visited less. I hardly have the time to keep the contest up, so I'm unable to do some promotion of this contest which is necessary to get more life in the contest. I can keep this contest up, but that's all I can do. If anyone wants to help by promoting this contest he or she is encouraged (I'm also willing to mention this in the first post).

For now, I'll just continue (and start PRC410 (round 17-08) as normal and that will also be the first rounds after that). I'm thinking about the future of this contest as well for a while, perhaps the time has come to finish the contest at some point. If anyone has any ideas, he/she is encouraged to post them in this thread. One thing is for sure, if I decide to finish and stop the contest, there will be a 'last round' (and maybe some special rounds) which will be announced at least two rounds before it will take place (meaning that I don't stop this contest in the next three months already so don't worry about that :grin:).

 

If you do decide to finish it, all you need to do, is pass the reins to someone else. It doesn't necessarily mean it's over for good (Of course i'm not telling you to resign, it's just if that day eventually comes)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

I'm thinking about the future of this contest as well for a while, perhaps the time has come to finish the contest at some point.

First, just wanna say I've got mad respect for you (and @Rexy as well) for holding the torch all those years, providing a training ground that fostered musicianship and helped so many of us develop their skills through friendly competition, all the while paying tribute to lesser known game music, which is a mission we have in common. Every time I fell off the llifeboat and tried to claw my way back into remixing, this compo was always there to help me find the north again. So believe me, I do not wish to see it gone anytime soon. :)

As for promotion, while I'm nowhere near popular or prolific enough to be giving PRC the props it deserves, I'm willing to do what I can on social media. You could also get in touch with starla for advice, because the OHC has got a thriving community and overwhelming participation every week, so she's bound to know the magic formula. Lastly, I believe community Discord servers (OCR, ThaSauce) would be a great place to advertise the beginning of each round, cause I betcha a lot of new remixers bypass the forums to go there.

 

23 minutes ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Honestly it really comes down to availability. I can't do every source, because i might not like it, or it's too hard to remix.

In all fairness you can't be expected to keep the compo alive all by yourself. That's admirable, but also defeats the whole purpose of a 'community' event. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dj Mokram said:

First, just wanna say I've got mad respect for you (and @Rexy as well) for holding the torch all those years, providing a training ground that fostered musicianship and helped so many of us develop their skills through friendly competition, all the while paying tribute to lesser known game music, which is a mission we have in common. Every time I fell off the llifeboat and tried to claw my way back into remixing, this compo was always there to help me find the north again. So believe me, I do not wish to see it gone anytime soon. :)

As for promotion, while I'm nowhere near popular or prolific enough to be giving PRC the props it deserves, I'm willing to do what I can on social media. You could also get in touch with starla for advice, because the OHC has got a thriving community and overwhelming participation every week, so she's bound to know the magic formula. Lastly, I believe community Discord servers (OCR, ThaSauce) would be a great place to advertise the beginning of each round, cause I betcha a lot of new remixers bypass the forums to go there.

 

In all fairness you can't be expected to keep the compo alive all by yourself. That's admirable, but also defeats the whole purpose of a 'community' event. :wink:

True. I often always attribute it to well...work. Nearly every person in this room, will probably have a full time job, or study career at university etc. That's what i look at, based on the lack of participants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I'll bring up this acknowledgement by djp in the writeup of that latest (Pyscho Pinball) arrangement:

Quote

PRC & other compos provide unique challenges/circumstances and tend to result in mixes we would never have seen, otherwise[.]

..which I feel like fits really well in OCR way of treating VGM rearrangement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, Dj Mokram said:

First, just wanna say I've got mad respect for you (and @Rexy as well) for holding the torch all those years, providing a training ground that fostered musicianship and helped so many of us develop their skills through friendly competition, all the while paying tribute to lesser known game music, which is a mission we have in common. Every time I fell off the llifeboat and tried to claw my way back into remixing, this compo was always there to help me find the north again. So believe me, I do not wish to see it gone anytime soon. :)

As for promotion, while I'm nowhere near popular or prolific enough to be giving PRC the props it deserves, I'm willing to do what I can on social media. You could also get in touch with starla for advice, because the OHC has got a thriving community and overwhelming participation every week, so she's bound to know the magic formula. Lastly, I believe community Discord servers (OCR, ThaSauce) would be a great place to advertise the beginning of each round, cause I betcha a lot of new remixers bypass the forums to go there.

 

In all fairness you can't be expected to keep the compo alive all by yourself. That's admirable, but also defeats the whole purpose of a 'community' event. :wink:

Damn.  Wish I didn't kill my social media.  I don't rly hang out in the OCR discord either...reasons.  Well, I do appreciate TheVideoGamer's participation and the MIDI tracks he writes if there isn't a viable one at hand.  I wasn't aware that Bundeslang had barely any time to promote, he's so punctual with updates!  Must be very efficient with his time lol...unlike me. 

Haven't felt inspired by the last few entries.  But maybe next round I can do something up. 

And good point DJ Mokram, OHC is a booming community...idk why that doesn't translate over here.  I should be using the ThaSauce Discord more often for MnP too...

On 6/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, Bundeslang said:

TheVideoGamer wins by default and may pick another source, for PRC411.

Dj Mokram is right about this contest. It needs more promotion (outside Ocremix) to get more people participating. More is happening outside forums and the forums here are nowadays visited less. I hardly have the time to keep the contest up, so I'm unable to do some promotion of this contest which is necessary to get more life in the contest. I can keep this contest up, but that's all I can do. If anyone wants to help by promoting this contest he or she is encouraged (I'm also willing to mention this in the first post).

For now, I'll just continue (and start PRC410 (round 17-08) as normal and that will also be the first rounds after that). I'm thinking about the future of this contest as well for a while, perhaps the time has come to finish the contest at some point. If anyone has any ideas, he/she is encouraged to post them in this thread. One thing is for sure, if I decide to finish and stop the contest, there will be a 'last round' (and maybe some special rounds) which will be announced at least two rounds before it will take place (meaning that I don't stop this contest in the next three months already so don't worry about that :grin:).

 

(edits) And also, Kevin (may I call you that?), I really appreciate the time and effort you put into PRC.  410 rounds is nothing to sniff at and there is a rich history in PRC.  I also really appreciate your occasional cross-pollination into MnP.  And also, sorry for that stupid comment I made about your track when someone was having a bit of a contentious disagreement and I decided to take sides when I really shouldn't have.  (And made a rude comment about the quality of your remix, that was totally my fuck up there).

Also, I'd like to add that dry-spells have been common place for the last few years, but we do have some rounds that have huge turnout.  That's what keeps me going, anyhow.  Maybe I don't take this gig nearly as seriously as you though and I kinda ride off your coattails.  I'll stand by whatever decision you make and hope for the best!

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Damn.  Wish I didn't kill my social media.  I don't rly hang out in the OCR discord either...reasons.  Well, I do appreciate TheVideoGamer's participation and the MIDI tracks he writes if there isn't a viable one at hand.  I wasn't aware that Bundeslang had barely any time to promote, he's so punctual with updates!  Must be very efficient with his time lol...unlike me. 

Haven't felt inspired by the last few entries.  But maybe next round I can do something up. 

And good point DJ Mokram, OHC is a booming community...idk why that doesn't translate over here.  I should be using the ThaSauce Discord more often for MnP too...

(edits) And also, Kevin (may I call you that?), I really appreciate the time and effort you put into PRC.  410 rounds is nothing to sniff at and there is a rich history in PRC.  I also really appreciate your occasional cross-pollination into MnP.  And also, sorry for that stupid comment I made about your track when someone was having a bit of a contentious disagreement and I decided to take sides when I really shouldn't have.  (And made a rude comment about the quality of your remix, that was totally my fuck up there).

Also, I'd like to add that dry-spells have been common place for the last few years, but we do have some rounds that have huge turnout.  That's what keeps me going, anyhow.  Maybe I don't take this gig nearly as seriously as you though and I kinda ride off your coattails.  I'll stand by whatever decision you make and hope for the best!

Thanks for the kind words dude!

OHC i think has participants from outside this Community. So like in other websites. Maybe the discord could work? Then again though, it depends on the number of visitors.

I think the choice of source can impact the number of entrants. I know, because the Metroid source for MnP did really well. But yet the source choice i did for Ridge Racer and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, didn't fare so good.

Likewise though The Ducktales source for MnP also fared pretty well.

Who knows lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 1:07 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

I think the choice of source can impact the number of entrants.

^ This. Let's be real, finding folks interested in arranging unpopular games has always been (and always will be) an uphill battle. That's why it's so amazing that this compo still exists.

That said, the PRC410 thread already has more view than any round since 2017 (PRC356). So whatever you guys did, it worked. Hopefully that'll translate to a few entries. Cheers. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok...I'm hopping on the bandwagon for round 410 all the while Artistically screeching.    :D

But seriously, I've got FL open now, the MIDI is inserted and I'm working it.

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dj Mokram said:

^ This. Let's be real, finding folks interested in arranging unpopular games has always been (and always will be) an uphill battle. That's why it's so amazing that this compo still exists.

That said, the PRC410 thread already has more view than any round since 2017 (PRC356). So whatever you guys did, it worked. Hopefully that'll translate to a few entries. Cheers. :)

Sad truth is, if you submit Final Fantasy IV or something like that. I'd expect 5-10 entrants tops.

Do something like I don't know...Streets of Rage 3, or something obscure as Robotron for the N64, you would probably get 1 entrant, which happens to be a sympathy entrant....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.