'Boogie-Hagen' (FFVII Lifestream Prog-House Remix)

RAZ3

Hi all,

Thought I'd drop this here for some honest feedback. Its based on an older version that I uploaded to the site like 2-3 years ago and its changed pretty drastically since then. However, it's still very much a work in progress at this stage due to the change in direction. Thought I'd also drop a few musical references from other tracks in the OST...so think of it like a game trying to spot them I guess ;)

Cheers in advance for anyone who spares the time to have a listen!

Edited by RAZ3
Embedded Link

Honest feedback, eh? Let's have a listen...

OK the intro could do with either being shorter by about 50 seconds, or making those first 50 seconds build better and create more of an interesting soundscape/atmosphere. When the claps come in at 1:02 they sound super thin and don't suit the other sounds at all. I like the vocal pad and the chopping you've done to it, and things really start to get good when that bass arp comes in. Really weak plucks for the melody line, but I love the background glitchy effects you've got going on there with the other pluck at 1:47. Glitch/beat repeat effects are used well later on too. Where did the snare/clap go after the first verse? Ah, 2:51-3:22! I know I said I didn't like the clap, but you gotta get a snare in there somewhere, especially for the final drop. That hihat is also way too loud in the mix, and so static in terms of velocity and panning that it begins to grate towards the end of the track. Kick is nice and punchy though. Interesting jazz flute sound towards the end, as well - sounds a bit like a half-idea at the moment. I'd say either double down on it and bring it into a proper lead, or switch it out for a more synthetic sound.

It's a decent start, but the arrangement and instrumentation needs some work. You've got a great foundation with the kick, bass arp, vocal pad, some nice plucks in the build, and good use of glitch effects to add some detail. I'd say work on the atmosphere a bit more, adding more detail and variation to your sounds. I'd like to hear more from that vocal pad, which is really nice, and definitely some better lead synths. That clap can probably be saved by layering it and dropping it down in the mix, maybe less reverb, but you may as well try different samples as well. There isn't much build and transition between sections, especially for the final chorus at about 3:22 - you want that to be the focal point of your track that everything has been building to, so make it count and save your best stuff for this section.

Hope you improve this one, as I'd like to hear more!

Hey thanks, really appreciate the feedback. I saw you trawling the boards and it seems you have quite the rep so hoped you'd weigh in an opinion on mine too ;)

I definitely agree with you on a number of points, and it was good to hear that it wasn't only me that felt some things aren't sitting right in the mix.

For example, the extended intro is certainly lacking something and you're right, I need to set the mood/atmosphere a little better as its rather bland at the moment with just a simple low-pass filter sweep providing some variation. Also, the clap is certainly another element I'm wasn't too happy with but couldn't work out why, just needed that person on the outside to tell me what. You know what it's like, its easy to get tunnel vision sometimes and either consciously or subconsciously ignore something in the hopes it will go away. Funnily enough, the hi-hat was something I picked up straight away after bouncing out and remedied almost immediately. But by that point, I had already uploaded it and couldn't be assed to re-upload.

In regards to that flute-like melody towards the end (03:52), its a little riff based off the distinctive melody from Cosmo Canyon. Same goes for a few other parts such as the melody from You Can Hear the Cry of The Planet around 02:03 (which incidentally fit without any transposition needed!) and the key motif from the Main Theme at 03:22 (which needed some transposition to fit with the key). Really, I suppose you could look at the track as more of a medley than anything else? Either way, I'll look at developing this a bit as I agree, its a little short lived.

Will definitely review this and update when I get some time. Have a few others remixes that I've been sitting on for a few years but either due to life or through sheer procrastination, haven't bothered to either finish or mix/master. Would really appreciate some feedback on those when the time comes around.

Quick question, how do I embed the SoundCloud player into the post? I remember doing it before (like 2-3 years ago!) but can't for the life of me figure out how I done it. Thought it was just grabbing the embed code from SC and dropping it into the Code box?

Edited by RAZ3
Spelling/Grammar

9 hours ago, RAZ3 said:

Hey thanks, really appreciate the feedback. I saw you trawling the boards and it seems you have quite the rep so hoped you'd weigh in an opinion on mine too ;)

Ha! I'm getting a reputation, eh?

9 hours ago, RAZ3 said:

Have a few others remixes that I've been sitting on for a few years but either due to life or through sheer procrastination, haven't bothered to either finish or mix/master.

Same here dude. I'm procrastinating by leaving feedback on these boards :razz:

9 hours ago, RAZ3 said:

Quick question, how do I embed the SoundCloud player into the post? I remember doing it before (like 2-3 years ago!) but can't for the life of me figure out how I done it. Thought it was just grabbing the embed code from SC and dropping it into the Code box?

Just copy/paste the URL to your track, it automatically embeds. Leave it a few seconds when you're writing your message and you'll see it come up.