OCR04079 - Pokémon Red Version "Farewell, Beloved Ones"

Yeah, this is the style of music that should have been in the game.

The shrill, slightly spooky original set a mood, but this version sets a better one. It's a superior medley, even though it's the same one.

This isn't spooky. This is affirming. It starts off as if entering a foggy town for the first time, light slowly pushing back the haze as you walk down the street. Then it rises up a little, taking the core melody from oddly unsettling to a more waking, coming about felling. Then the big push at 2:40 comes in and the violin overtakes the base theme and pushes it back. This isn't sad anymore. It's melancholy. A little happiness mixed in with the sadness. A ray of sunlight filtering through the clouds overhead. Things will get better.

I do love the pokemon series music, but I also love it when someone takes it do a different place. This version feels far more emotional than the blippy tones of the original GameBoy had.

• 2 years later...

God, the emotion in this ReMix is super rich and feels a bit sad, but somehow peaceful and hopeful as well, like acceptance after an event. Absolutely gorgeous, especially after the build up when the bit of drum and cello kicks in. This is lovely.

• 1 year later...

This is my favorite Lavender town remix that I've heard so far, and that's saying something because the original source tune is insanely popular.  This perfectly matches the somber vibe of the town.  It kicks off very nicely and is enjoyable to listen to, but once those strings kick in, it goes into overdrive into a sweeping, emotional piece.  This was very good!