*NO* Legend of Zelda "Main Theme"

Rexy

Starting off, I liked the lo-fi vibe you were going for, and I thought it was cool how you created complex rhythms by way of stuttering and surgically-precise delays. There's some neat saturated/distorted tones that give this a lot of character. Unfortunately, I don't feel like this remix fully capitalized on your ideas.

For starters, this is a very short arrangement that fizzles out at the end without any clear resolution. For the majority of the track, you ride a consistent rhythm that doesn't really change up until around 1:20, which was a welcome breath of fresh air, but for an arrangement this short, I feel like the ideas need to be more concise. 

The sound design here is hard to judge - on the one hand, all of your sound choices are consistent and, although they're not quite chiptune sounds, they are distinctly lo-fi and craft a very cohesive soundscape. I can't say that you develop your sounds over time, but I can't shake the feeling that this track feels flat overall. Production-wise, I think you could better utilize compression, EQ, and possibly push your distortion a little further so that your instruments sound more lively and the mix packs more punch overall.

Nitpick time - when your square arp that enters at :57 hits the highest notes, it sounds unpleasantly harsh (see 1:05 for example.) 

I don't dislike any of what I've heard here by any means - there's some great rhythmic ideas and adaptations going on and some solid reinterpretation of the original Zelda melody. However, the arrangement feels overly short/unresolved and, although the sound design is cohesive and a strong upgrade from the original, the production itself feels dull. This would be a good candidate for reworking and resubmitting if you feel inclined! :)

NO (resubmit!)

• Emunator changed the title to 2019/12/10 - (1N) Legend of Zelda "Main Theme"
  • 1 month later...

Had a cool sound to it to open things up, albeit basic writing. Once things picked up some at :22, I was waiting to see what else would happen with the buildup. :37 brought in the melody, but :57 then simplified the theme, all while having relatively basic beats. Same at 1:24, the melody's simplified into chord progressions until 1:47.

There's a lot of potential here, but I felt like the melody got sidelined a bit too much, and the beats were in one gear, so Emunator's right that the overall presentation was flat and ultimately felt repetitive and underdeveloped despite the clear creativity with the glitching and timing of the sounds.

See what else you can do to interpret the melody, and create more areas of dynamic contrast. Not saying this needs to swing super busy or super minimal to make drastic changes, but more textural and instrumentation changes and tradeoffs would help this not feel so limited. Good base here, Jérémy, and you can really hear the potential; hope you're willing to tweak this and see what more you can bring to this promising arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/12/10 - (2N) Legend of Zelda "Main Theme"

i dug the lofi vibe you had going, and i liked the variations and stutters you added. i'm also a sucker for multi-octave arps, and you used those a bunch too. i do think that the melody got sidelined too much, and that there was a lot more room for melodic interpretation. that'd also help lengthen the track - just over two minutes isn't bad, but it's not great either. i also agree with the other judges that the beats kind of felt the same after a while despite the fun ideas you had in a few places with stuttering or clever patterns.

i noticed some wrong notes at 0:49 in the right ear lower synth. that C chord is borrowed, and needs an E natural to really sound right and lead properly into the following F chord. try and get rid of the D and Eb that's playing there.

overall i like the feel, but it needs more melody and especially something to help it feel like it progresses from start to finish. dynamics can help, as can variation in your instrumentation or drum programming. right now though i don't think this hits the mark yet.

NO