Contact Information

ReMixer name: MET∆TRON
Email address: 
Userid: 30324

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: 2064: Read Only Memories
Name of arrangement: Saturated Media
Name of individual song arranged: Media Blues
Additional info: 2064: Read Only Memories is a cyberpunk point-and-click adventure game developed by MidBoss with a soundtrack by 2Mello. The game is heavily inspired by titles such as Snatcher.
Link to the original soundtrack: https://2mellomakes.bandcamp.com/album/sounds-of-neo-sf-read-only-memories-ost
Comments: This was made for the Pixel Mixers album, The Great Tale of the Little Ones Vol.2, which was a tribute to indie games. However, this version is a slightly different mix, along with an extended solo at the end. The song itself was inspired by old R&B sounds along with the TR-808. I wanted to take the original song and make it sound more sterile and "corporate", while giving it some kind of soul.

• 3 months later...

Interesting source. Things start off with a lo-fi phone introduction, leading into the main theme. While carrying similar vibes to the original, there are quite a few additional flourishes and instruments added in as the arrangement progresses. The lead that comes in at 1:57 creates more of a departure from the original, providing a nice accompanying melody. This evolves a couple times, including a solo at 2:39 which I found to be quite emotive (although I think it goes slightly too long). Drums pick up a bit at 3:00, as the lead continues to solo and riff, before fading away at 4:08, with a return to the original theme before closing out. Production is serviceable on this one — drums could certainly could be louder, and the lead at times is too loud compared to everything else, but no major concerns. I think the arrangement here is solid, once breaking away into it’s own material, I knew we were onto something. Good stuff.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2019/12/17 - (1Y) 2064: Read Only Memories "Saturated Media"
  • 1 month later...

this is overall quiet and doesn't appear to have much compression applied.

the intro is interesting - not my bag but i like the idea you're going for. once the track really picks up at 0:44, it's definitely nailing the r'n'b vibe you were going for. this is a pretty minimal arrangement up through 1:55, with some flourishes over a very close adaptation of the main track. the lead at 1:57 is fun if a bit loud for the background, and is well-played with some fun flips throughout. i don't mind the heavy emphasis on new content as the track moves on, since the original has so little melodic content. i felt the progression to that was pretty logical. from a timestamp perspective, at least half the song is using original content, so i don't have a problem there.

overall, i think this is a fun track that accomplishes what it was going for. i thought the leads throughout were a bit loud but it doesn't detract from the quality of the overall track. we'll need to trim the tail but other than that this one is good by me.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2019/12/17 - (2Y) 2064: Read Only Memories "Saturated Media"

This source doesn't have a lot to work with, which initially left me baffled about how you got 5 minutes of arrangement out of it.  Indeed, you did, letting the four-bar loop on the bass and keys carry most of the source content.  Over time, you added your original melodies over the top and modified the bass or keys while letting the other part stay grounded.  2:38 had the bass change up the chord modulations while still keeping the basic idea for the keys in place, all while letting your saw synth keep pushing with more intense original writing in time to return to the original chords at 3:22.  As a whole, it's hard to see this source get handled any way other than what you did here - impressive work for something so minimal.

Due to the arrangement's nature, the mixdown has a warm quality, only pushing for higher frequencies when original melodies and high-pitched percussion are present.  That said, nothing here bleeds into another on the EQ spectrum, and the tone variety of your synths is pleasing to take in, especially your mono-synths with those sugary glides.  Like Brad brought up, I, too, would've wanted the leads a little quieter in the mix, but it's just a nice-to-have thing that could've been a stylistic decision to give more of that high-mid presence in the mix overall.  It's also quiet with the peaks going below -4.5dB, but the mellow nature of the arrangement warrants an appropriate volume level like this either way, so I can't fault that either.

Consider this a cool sounding debut, Richard - a submission that not only accomplishes the old-school RnB sound you aimed for but also takes a source with very little content and wrung so much out of it.  Great stuff, and I hope you get to send more tracks our way!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/12/17 - (3Y) 2064: Read Only Memories "Saturated Media"
  • 1 month later...

This is a really nifty fusion track that marries some of the signature 80's and 90's synth and drum sounds that are distinctly R&B with a mixdown and pacing that evokes the same lazy, hazy qualities I'd expect from a vaporwave arrangement. I was skeptical about how you would stretch this out to nearly 5 minutes, but just on gut intuition, it never felt like things were repetitive just for the sake of padding, and it felt like the length was justified. The lead synth solos kept the melodies fresh, despite being too forward in the mix, and the rest of the supporting instrumentation all brings something warm and nostalgic to the mix. Love those chiffed synths especially!

I'm not going to make these showstoppers, but before we post this track, I'd love to hear:

1.) The overall track volume brought up to normal levels

2.) The tail at the end of the track cut down - there's no reason for over 15 seconds of near silence.

Otherwise, this checks all the boxes for me. Nice work!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2019/12/17 - *YES - TAG* 2064: Read Only Memories "Saturated Media"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04196 - *YES* 2064: Read Only Memories "Saturated Media"
  • Liontamer locked this topic