OCR00200 - Xenogears "Bonds of Sea and Fire"

m68030

• 3 months later...

This remix relies quite a bit on the main melody, which tends to wear out after a while (I've had this song for a long time, though.. it doesn't die out THAT quickly). Even so, it's a great remix, with good arrangement and use of a variety of sounds. Not exactly upbeat or downbeat, but a good listen.

• 6 months later...

Okay, call me another drifting Otaku, but I personally think that the best part of this remix was that it kept Hikaru Midorikawa's (The voice actor for Fei, as well as Hiiro Yui, as it were) scream; somehow, it's just a nice touch.

By the way, noone will know who I am, and this is probably my first and only post here; I have no interest in remixing except as it related to using music in order to enhance my role Playing. Heh.

But kudos

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

this has always been one of my personal favorite songs from the soundtrack, and this remix is a very good rendition... after listening through it a few times, some of it sounds a bit like it came straight from the game and was distorted at certain points. I like this version, and the Fei thing was a very nice touch.. kudos to you!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't really care for the stall and restart of the song around the minute and a half mark, it's just too long a gap. I don't think that this is the right approach to this song. The original source is a haunting a depressing piece and in many aspects you remain rather faithful to the original, which isn't a bad thing in of itself. But because you try to remain faithful and still expand into the jungle-like beat, the song seems torn as it is going in two opposite directions. being less faithful to the source would have improved this mix in my opinion.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Not a bad remix at all - tends to excel more in the soundscape more than anything else, giving a more modernised approach to an otherwise spacious source material. The voice clips at around 2:30 were decent enough to break away the monotomy, though might be a bit random depending on the game's context.

But even then the arrangement remains way too close to the original and humanisation on the more organic instrments present (namely the bells and oboe) feels somewhat absent. It's pleasant to listen to at least, just kind of feels more dated in comparision to even other remixes of its time.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00200 - Xenogears "Bonds of Sea and Fire"
  • 3 months later...

It certainly does stick close to the original, which in and of itself is not a bad thing, but it was a bit too close here. The extra drum touches makes this sound like an upgraded version of the original, and while it could have used a little more in the arrangement aspect, it was far from terrible in the sound department. The voice clips were a nice way to fill the space for the breakdown, and ending with a slow atmospheric sound was nice as a way to ease out to the end.