Divine Intervention

• 2 weeks later...

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by synthetic focus of a piece called Divine Intervention. There is a decidedly heroic, larger-than-self feeling. I also must admit that parts of it remind me of the OST of Zero Wing. And those choir samples: MMM! They remind me of those used in Metroid Prime 2. Or maybe Soul Blazer. Anyways... I enjoyed this piece, you really accomplished a sense of awe. The strings make for a good support role here, and the continual motion of the synths is like a comforting presence that doesn't leave you. Well done. 

On 7/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, Souperion said:

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by synthetic focus of a piece called Divine Intervention. There is a decidedly heroic, larger-than-self feeling. I also must admit that parts of it remind me of the OST of Zero Wing. And those choir samples: MMM! They remind me of those used in Metroid Prime 2. Or maybe Soul Blazer. Anyways... I enjoyed this piece, you really accomplished a sense of awe. The strings make for a good support role here, and the continual motion of the synths is like a comforting presence that doesn't leave you. Well done. 

Thank you for the review! I am glad you got exactly what I was going for. You certainly have a good ear. The vst used for the choir is a software version of what Kenji Yamamoto used for the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 choirs. Ironically enough, the patch he used, and the one I used for this piece, is called "Church Choir". There may have been one thing you did not catch, however: the piece is made to repeat seamlessly so if you were to download it and play it in Audacity on loop the ending of this piece feeds right back into the intro. The point being that the faithful person always needs divine rescue from some kind of peril large or small.

P.S. Big fan of your avatar: It reminds me that I need to make a cover of the Rundas battle music at some point.

Edited by Trevor M. Baker

23 hours ago, Trevor M. Baker said:

The vst used for the choir is a software version of what Kenji Yamamoto used for the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 choirs

Pray tell, where can I find/pay for this??? I did notice it's a loop, nicely done too. 

23 hours ago, Trevor M. Baker said:

Big fan of your avatar: It reminds me that I need to make a cover of the Rundas battle music at some point.

I see you are a man of culture. If you do make a Rundas cover, I will look forward to hearing it!

You've got a good concept built so far. Curious if you have a particular inspiration for the track.

Two things that I think it needs are:

1) Diversify your instruments a bit. I hear the same ones repeatedly.

2) More bass presence. Might be as simple as adding a second bass track one octave above.

On 7/11/2020 at 6:02 PM, Souperion said:

Pray tell, where can I find/pay for this??? I did notice it's a loop, nicely done too. 

I see you are a man of culture. If you do make a Rundas cover, I will look forward to hearing it!

It's the Roland Sound Canvas VST. It should be the Sound Canvas VA using the Sc-8820 "Map" or the SC-88Pro "Map" when you click the preset names to choose a new preset.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:59 PM, dgrove said:

You've got a good concept built so far. Curious if you have a particular inspiration for the track.

Two things that I think it needs are:

1) Diversify your instruments a bit. I hear the same ones repeatedly.

2) More bass presence. Might be as simple as adding a second bass track one octave above.

I really need to listen to this track on speakers with bass again. Unfortunately, my Sennheiser HD600 headphones seriously lack sub-bass. I agree that the diversity of synths is lacking and I will consider exploring additional sounds. I really wanted to focus on the composition for this one, as I believe music should be both progressive and have repetition. So, in a way, my pieces are almost like classical music with rock and dance mixed. Sometimes it also sounds bluesy.

Honestly I didn't have any desire to duplicate a track for this. The main synth is basically the synth from Portal 2 and the choirs are from Metroid Prime. The drums are from the Bob Rock pack for Superior Drummer 3 (Think Metallica). The idea of a fat and wide bass guitar and bass synths underlying the synths is something I get straight from Kelly Bailey like in "You're Not Supposed to Be Here" or "Abandoned in Place"

This piece of music (Divine Intervention) definitely comes from my own personal experiences (one of my most hectic pieces was created months after I lost my engagement to my fiancee), including my present situation. My philosophy of music is really such: that the instruments that converse with one another in a musical piece are like the relationships of our lives. The intervals are like the bliss and hell of human relationship. Except in music, there's no hiding the truth of your relationships with other people and or God. Musical instruments fully expose the inner joy, bliss, despair, and turmoil of the human soul. Instruments don't lie. Music is a prime method for communicating the incorporeal death of one's emotional structure. But, it can also communicate real euphoria. By the end, any perceptions of perfect relationship will be exposed as true or false. Music is the unadulterated cry of the human soul that sees all relationships purely and without the delusions of our eyes.

Here is the piece I created seven or so months after I lost the engagement. Unfortunately, at the time, my mixing skills were not the greatest...but I assure you this has soul, especially the ending.

Edited by Trevor M. Baker