OCR04154 - *YES* Final Fantasy 13 "Transcendent Discovery"

Rexy

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2019/12/26 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 13 "Transcendent Discovery"

still a ton of headroom despite a single outlier spike - at least 4db. sounds more even though than past arrangements.

lot of atmosphere in the opening. rebecca continues to impress with her ability to create beautiful soundscapes. this original track is particularly suited to her style with how atmospheric it is. there's some really nice pops of color in here - particularly the section at 1:55 has a lot of beautiful flourishes. the overall feel is much more cinematic than some of your other works, and i like that a lot for this track.

pretty easy vote. this is definitely over the bar.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Structure-wise, it does go through one run-through of the source - but the genre adaptation gave the notation a whole other mood.  The choral chanting and harp carried most of the source usage, relying on what little apparent melody the original had - and while all this was going on, it allowed for layers of pads and percussion to generate a new accompaniment altogether.  I also find it interesting - and a while to absorb, admittedly - that the hand percussion paced itself at an utterly separate tempo than the melody lines.  It's usually an unconventional writing choice, but it's also an atmospheric aesthetic that only new age can provide.

The production also has a strong effort - a great sense of balance, lovely textures, and careful use of space to bring out the best of your instruments.  The articulations are among your best yet, too - thanks to delicate shaping of vocal envelopes, the attack shaping on the harp, and the brief woodwind usage getting firm care with vibrato and volume shaping.  Yes, headroom does remain a recurring issue with one giant spike in the waveform at 1:58 (caused by a loud harp stab) and the audio hardly going above -6db otherwise - but I feel there's enough done with the mastering to make it fit among other similar work.

If it's not evident by now - it's interpretive and calming stuff.  It's a more subtractive take on the source with a beautiful presentation suitable for de-stressing.  Great work, Rebecca! 

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/12/26 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 13 "Transcendent Discovery"

Great soundscape. The choice of instrumentation works well, with good complementary textures. Things maintain a similar pace throughout the arrangement. Some more variety would’ve been nice — but things are fine for the given duration. Production is solid with some nice separation between parts and a good spread across the stereo spectrum. I think we’re all good here.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04154 - *YES* Final Fantasy 13 "Transcendent Discovery"
  • Rexy locked this topic