OCR04114 - *YES* Elemental Master "Brother" *RESUB*

Rexy

Original decision

Hey Guys,

Sorry this resubmission has taken a while to get to you, a few of our members have had significant life changes to deal with, then COVID...I hope everyone at OCRemix is safe and healthy!

Thank you for all of your feedback on the initial submission. We've taken a close look at the mix based on the notes you provided, and made significant balance changes focused on bringing out the melodies and setting better levels on the drums. We also replaced some of the guitar parts to improve the overall clarity and provide space for the synth. We hope it addresses your concerns and that you enjoy the updated version!

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

Thanks,

Sam - Megalixir

• 2 weeks later...

Having not heard the original sub, I can say with confidence that this sounds GREAT to my ears! I'm loving the energy in the mixdown, each instrument is clearly audible and whatever loudness/overcompression issues may have been present before seem to have been ironed out nicely. Guitars sound punchy and thick. I am in love with the variety of synth leads and the energy they each bring to the table, and similarly, the drums are pulling their weight in a major way and always manage to keep things rhythmically fresh. I honestly can't find any major faults here - nice job ironing out whatever issues may have been present in the original submission, thanks for taking the feedback into consideration and using that to make something that sounds even better!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/07/01 - (1Y) Elemental Master "Brother"

my original vote called out the arrangement as being solid while the mastering was Astonishing-era Dream Theater guitar and drums in your face and nobody else matters level of not great. so let's take a listen to this.

this was a fantastic submission arrangement-wise and was so fun to listen to originally, but everyone who voted encouraged the band to go back and remaster it a bit because while it was good, it was hard to listen to long-term. the band did us one better and even did some re-recording and updating of synth profiles to get a more cohesive and overall significantly better track. this is exactly what we hope for when we ask for a resubmit. i can't get enough of the section at 3:30. the unison leads at 4:12 are so great. the last minute is 1000% better than the original was in terms of listenability.

if i nitpicked at anything, it's that the bass guitar still isn't as clear/visible as myself as a bass player would want it, but it does its job undergirding the mix and keeping it rooted, so i'm not going to count my personal preferences as a tick against this.

superlative job, megalixer. easy vote.

YES

Yep this pretty much satisfies my complains from last time, compression levels are a bit more relaxed and made the arrangement deeper.  Mix seems clean and stuff like synth leads aren't really getting buried as in the previous version.  Overall a great remix of a great soundtrack, not much else to say.

EDIT: and you also kept the YYZ reference which gets you a cookie each with me.

YES

Edited by Sir_NutS

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2020/07/01 - (3Y) Elemental Master "Brother"

I wasn't there last time either, but just by reading the prior decision, I could tell that arrangement would be a non-issue.  Yes, it's five sources in a row, and they all got the conservative treatment, but there's enough done to the backing and style that makes it feel less in-your-face like the originals and more like a dramatic flair typically expected of prog.  Even the melodies had moments of modified pitches, whether due to deliberate change for more natural performance or accidental human imperfections.  If there's one part that I wasn't a fan of, it's the transition at 4:21 feeling so jarring and sudden - and it's so odd when all the other source transitions felt more meaningful (gentle fade, breakdown to a slower tempo, the shoutout to Rush as mentioned).  It's still a commendable effort, and I can see why you got an approval on that front in the first place.

I also concur with the production values.  I had no idea how loud the previous version was, but now, I hear some cleanly recorded live instrumentation, all tightly performed and with a stable balance.  Yet, I noted one observation when I imported the audio into Audacity and noticed four places where the track clipped - three during "Calling in the Dark" and a fourth in the non-transition to "Cursed Destiny."  It's weird - through my headphones, the audio checks out, and there's no need to change it, though a precautionary measure before posting would be nice to have.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you all took advice on board from the previous sub and refined it into this form.  I don't know how it took four years to follow up from the Demon's Crest debut, but you made it, and I'm ready to see it posted.  Well done all!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/07/01 - *YES - TAG* Elemental Master "Brother"
  • Rexy unpinned and locked this topic