X-Men Children of the Atom - Savage Land Remix ("Berserker Rage")

The Savage Land theme has always been one of my favorite video game music compositions, most likely because of its passing similarities to Isao Abe's better known Sagat theme from Street Fighter II. I tried my hand at reinterpreting the song with a bit of a grunge flavor by way of an aggressive drum sequence reminiscent of something Dave Grohl would have played for a Nirvana song. Though it softens the grit of the song, I retained the orchestral elements from the original composition because I believe it gives the piece an almost cinematic quality. 

Song Title: "Berserker Rage" (Wolverine Theme Remix)

Originally Composed By: Isao Abe

Arranged and Performed By: The Native Dialect

BPM: 149

Time Signature: 4/4

Style: Grunge/Acid Jazz

Hardware: iMac, Ibanez Talmon

Software: GarageBand, Audacity

Berserker Rage

Source

Edited by Native Dialect

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, PadreMulk said:

CPS2 Era Capcom had some of the nicest tracks. This is one of my faves. THe orchestral bits are a really nice touch the guitars and drums could be a touch louder though.

I am a huge fan of the music Capcom's sound team produced during the CPS era. My theory is that older games have better music because the composers had such crude tools. In order for the music to be listenable in the past, the composer had to focus on creating a strong melody. Now, everything sounds like incidental music because real instruments are available. That all said, thank you for listening to my arrangement. The most common suggestion I receive on these forums is to work on my mixing when it comes to my guitars. I may have to start listening to my final mixes on more audio set ups in order to improve in that area. My first symphonic rock track was of Jin's theme from Marvel vs. Capcom, and I didn't do too well with keeping the guitar prominent in the mix. I was so worried about the violins and horns being drowned out that tried to keep the guitar pretty low. This time around I tried to keep the guitar at the front of the mix because the guitar is the lead instrument, but I was having trouble keeping the rhodes audible. I think it's time I started looking at tutorials on mixing.