Haha Yes! BMIIDX - Traces (Tracing The Noize Mix) Attemp 3 :P Totally gettin in!

SenPi

Alright, so my remix finally got judged like a week ago, and as soon as I read it, I stared on my redo. This version is just incredibly so much better that I cant believe it.

It is pretty much all complete. All music and synth selection is finished. And most mastering is done.

I just gotta do one more mastering run, and add in a few sound effects and vocals (well one vocal) to it, and then it will be ready to send in once more.

So tell me what you guys think of it so far!

Traces - TaQ (The original song)

DJ SymBiotiX - Traces [Tracing The Noize Mix] V2

alright.. also if anybody could help me with a better name, that would be great lol.

Comments and Criticism PLEASE. I really need to know if any of you think there is something wrong (bad eqing in one part, bad choice of instrument) etc. Thanks!

EDIT: Update number 3 I guess?

Ok so this is pretty much the final render. I just want to get a bit more comment in on it so I know what people think.

-Varied the drums a bit

-Mastered a bit more

-Fixed a few volume things.

-etc.

here is the new link

DJ SymBiotiX - Traces [Tracing The Noize Mix] (final)

Enjoy

I reviewed your other version awhile ago. I also listen to a lot of music from this series of games.

Too much silence during the first several seconds.

I think the super quiet piano at the beginning should fade in slowly, or fade in somehow, and not have it at such a low volume the whole time. The entire intro seems a bit dragged out as it is, so having barely audible piano, while quite nice for a little bit, doesn't have to stay at such a low volume the whole time. Speaking of the intro, it's a bit too long, and yet, not necessarily; the same time length could be kept, but have something more to it to make it not seem so long, like something else interesting while the piano is fading in in whatever fashion.

The samples and EQ kinda' make the song feel lifeless. The treble is too sharp, when wearing headphones at least, and the bass is too soft. I don't really know much about mid-range, but it does feel a bit empty, so I don't know how one would go about filling that in.

The song feels full at 2:17, with the different, darker bass sound, and the nicely panned hi-hats/whatever, and completely different sounding piano. 2:44 sounds okay, but there's just something weird about most of the song that I can't place.

4:14 progression sounds very familiar as if it was in some other song.

4:39's 16ths synth line sounds like it needs to be louder. Without that, it sounds like the same old piano and beats song that's been going on for 3 minutes.

Don't really know what to say other than the production needs to be better. Things seem like they want to please my ears by filling them with all sorts of good EQ/fuller-production ranges/dynamics, but it's like they get a constant grating sound instead.

Alrighty I've listened to this on shitty headphones and speakers so...

Can't really hear anything till 8 secs.

Overall it seems whenever you introduce a new elements they tend to overshadow the sound scape. On headphones the hihats are a lil piercing. Also the part at 2:15 pierces on headphones too. Also 3:09 too.

I def agree on adding some more FX and voice stuff would def fit the bill. You got reason right? Try running some of this shit shit a vocoder and automating it in and out with some of the stuff you already got.

Also in places try to get the rythms to flow more in sync with the changes in the composition. This is something that is not easy to do at all, but it could def give the piece even more energy.

And panning hard left and right of some of FX elements would be a nice touch.

Besides all that jazz you's gots lots of nice stuff in this one. This is pretty sweet, but it can be better by goin back over the mastering and production and beefing it up some more. For the piano in the 2nd half check out sgx's website he has a lil tip on there from FF MusicDJ about something echoe delay thing you can do on a piano that is pretty cool.

yeah, sorry i haven't got around to this much lately, i'll be out of town for the next couple weeks too, so i apologize for the delay there, too.

it's pretty late, and i'm off to bed, but seeing as the quality of your initial sub was on par with site standards and such, i won't bother mentioning anything there.

first impulse upon hearing the update is that it's pretty good, but be sure you don't make it *too* busy. there seemed like there was a lot of clutter at certain portions, so just be sure you make everything clear and intended in the final render.

like i said, my only gripe about the first version was the lack of bass in the 2nd half--had it not been for that i would have YES'd. so whatever you decide to change is cool, but for what it's worth, you don't have to change a lot to get it above the bar as far as i'm concerned.

peace, happy new year, and all that :)

• 2 weeks later...

You have some really neat effects going on here! This is stuff that I wish I knew how to do, myself. As far as I can tell, this seems ready for the panel. If by chance it happens not to get accepted, do NOT give up. You have something truly great here.

Nice work!

This is definitely much improved over the last version (the submission to OCR was the last version I listened to). You've addressed a lot of the issues brought up by the panel and then some, so I'm going to say if you're satisfied with this, then submit. The world needs more ReMixes of IIDX stuff.

• 1 month later...

Ugh ok.. so it didnt get in this time because the mastering sucked. So I did some stuff today, and I think it should be much MUCH better right now. (its so stupid because it was a simple little fix and now it sounds so much cleaner and not over compressed <_<)

Anyways, somebody give me some feedback! Thanks.

OLD VERSION: Traces - Tracing The Noize Mix - OLD

NEW VERSION: Traces - Tracing The Noize Mix - REMASTERED

NEW VERSION 2: Traces - Tracing The Noize Mix - REMASTERED 2

EDIT: I did some stuff, and added a little bit, and I think it sounds better. What do you think?

So now, the sound is MUCH MUCH cleanner sounding. All I really need to work on now, is somehow filling out the low/midlow frequencies and a little bit more volume work, and I think this time, I should be fricken set! lol

I tend to forget how much the maximizer/compression can change songs in reason too. :)

There is alot more space in this one now def. Something to fill the space could be to add in a pad sound as a thin layer behind everything else and then run multiple audio signals (or maybe just the signal of the kick) and side-chain that bitch. That could prob add a nice layer of sound?

The Vagrance knows how to do some really nast side-chaining in reason. Take the audio signal from your kick(and whatever else you want) using the spider and split the signal. So one goes to the mixer as usual and the other signal goes into the back of the M-Compressor. I'm pretty sure this is the way you already knew, as it is the most common.

Someone should def know to do it though. You could always dome some layering and volume automation to add depth.

Yeah i figured that'd be the one you knew. I heard an example a few months back the vagrance put up that was pretty friggin sweet. But they were BIG Pads and not the background sound type of pad.

You could combine different intruments from ur song into a combi to make a pad[run]? Then map the controls to some knobs on a midi keyboard and then press record and have some fun. But you already gots tons of automation in the song already.

Prob just go with the layering and simple automation in the layers? Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I'm finding the snare really weak. Also the phaser-effect needs to be put further in the background. Also, try clearing up the lead a bit - too much effect on it makes it unclear. Hats could go down slightly in the drum mix.

Love the 80's throwback with the pads.

Hm... listening again. You need to do something creative with the drums. Possibly doing some sucking with the reverb and compressors (subtle reverb with compressors set at a fast attack and release and moderately low threshold (-6 - -9 dB)).

pretty good, but there were a few issues with it. -most of the beats and some other instruments sounded like low-quality MIDI sounds -you didnt have a pianist, though some of the instruments covered it mostly to make it sound like it had one(DarkeSword's "Four Man Music Theory" in which the pianist is a subtle tune in the background, like a string variation. it makes it sound better despite how subtle it is). -you could probably make it more exciting, more adventurous in the way its made, even funky. Great job other than those issues!:wink:

• 4 months later...

haha ok ok.. so the 2nd time I entered this song, the mastering was totally ass.. like hardcore.. (which is why it didnt get in). So now, finally after the longest time, I finally have the urge to finish it again. Ive learned so many new mastering techniques, I restarted it tonight, and it already sounds infinitely times. Better. Tomorow I am going to master/refinish it using my really awesome speakers, so it should be done by tomorow night. Expect really really awesome things.

Stay Tuned :D

EDIT: Here it is :D

Original: TaQ - Traces

Remix: DJ SymBiotiX - Traces (Tracing The Noize Mix) Revision 3

UPDATE: Revision 4! DJ SymBiotix - Traces (Tracing The Noize Mix)

UPDATE AGAIN: DJ SymBiotiX - Traces (Tracing The Noize Mix) Revision like 9 or something :P