PRC412 - A Different Super Game (Super Valis IV)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 412
PRCv17-10

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

DJ Mokram claimed the victory in an interesting round (410) with four participants and a bonus mix. He picked the source for this round.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:22 PM, Dj Mokram said:

Super Valis IV is to the Valis franchise what Vampire Kiss is to Castlevania: a watered down port of a PC engine gem, with modified levels, dumbed-down mechanics and, you guessed it, different music. Thankfully, the soundtrack by Junta is still pretty damn good, and I encourage you to check it out. My pick 'Vecanti' is one of the coolest Level 1 music to ever grace the SPC700 imho. This would make for a great symphonic metal or even synthwave arrangement. Hope y'all have fun with this one. :)

SuperValis4-Vecanti.mid 55.83 kB · 1 download Super Valis IV - Vecanti.mp3 3.3 MB · 1 download

Source: Super Valis IV (SNES) - Vecanti

MIDI File

MP3 File

Source Information

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

The deadline is Wednesday August 12th 2020 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC414, the rounds after next round.

The winner of PRC410, DJ Mokram, who picked this source, can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix. His vote is doubled in the voting stage. 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs. The following people compete against each other:

HoboKa 

AxLR

To vote, do the following:

·       Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.

·       Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

·       Fill in the entries from first to second in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 2. Leave the third box empty.

·       State a reasoning for it.

·       Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, They get a 3 point bonus so it doesn't change the results.

·       DJ Mokram has a vote that counts twice.

·       Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results. Especially since some people might vote by sending me a PM.

You have until THIS Monday, August 17th 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 2 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

(reasoning)

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC414.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote or click here to send a PM.

13 minutes ago, Bundeslang said:

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs. The following people compete against each other:

HoboKa 

AxLR

To vote, do the following:

·       Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.

·       Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

·       Fill in the entries from first to second in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 2. Leave the third box empty.

·       State a reasoning for it.

·       Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, They get a 3 point bonus so it doesn't change the results.

·       DJ Mokram has a vote that counts twice.

·       Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results. Especially since some people might vote by sending me a PM.

You have until THIS Monday, August 17th 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 2 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

(reasoning)

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC414.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote or click here to send a PM.

I’ll make sure I get one in ;) lol

Results time

HoboKa got 9 points and gets the last place wooden spoon.

And the winner of PRC412 is AxLR with 12 points!!.

AxLR, you are the winner and may pick a source for PRC414. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (26 August 2020), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc412 for the votes and comments.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Dammit i really need to stay on top of my game, i've been so busy.

Congrats AxLR!

Yeah congrats.  I forgot to vote!  Well, here is the comments:

edits...as usual.  Just a more professional take on it lol...I hate unfiltered thoughts.

Groovy chill-take on it.  Is that Chill-House?   I really like the bridge/breakdown.  Lots of percussion to help keep the ReMix fresh on the ears.  Very re-interpretive too and quite creative.  You could probably pass this off as an original work and not get called out for infringement.  Would work great in a Flash Game or Animation, as it has a certain je ne sais quios.  

Edited by HoboKa

10 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Yeah congrats.  I forgot to vote!  Well, here is the comments:

edits...as usual.  Just a more professional take on it lol...I hate unfiltered thoughts.

Groovy chill-take on it.  Is that Chill-House?   I really like the bridge/breakdown.  Lots of percussion to help keep the ReMix fresh on the ears.  Very re-interpretive too and quite creative.  You could probably pass this off as an original work and not get called out for infringement.  Would work great in a Flash Game or Animation, as it has a certain je ne sais quios.  

To be fair, your thoughts mirror mine. Lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, naritaho13 said:

Mad props to AxLR on the quick turnout! Looking forward to a few moar entries.

It was DJ Mokram who picked the source tune and Bundeslang who runs this contest, so AxLR isn't really responsible for the turnout per se.  But we appreciate you voicing your interest in PRC (hopefully MnP too? :D).  Please tell your friends about us before the compo scene withers to 0 entries T_T

Edited by HoboKa

On 9/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

I'm so glad they're are people out there with great interest in uncommon games. 

Ditto.  I gotta listen to the remixes that were posted here.

Always loved the valis series.  Didnt play the SNES version a whole lot until much later but I did get to play the Genesis versions early on.  Eventually I was able to play the superior Turbografx versions and loved the series all over again.  Fun Factoid Valis II was Tenpei Sato's first game (at least I think it was) that he scored along with a few other composers and Sato would eventually go on to do the music for Disgaea. 

Sadly the series was sold off to an erogame developer many years ago and they left very little to the imagination in all possible uses of the phrase. :/ Still, appreciate that there are people here who are familiar with the games most have forgotten. Cheers.