OCR04186 - *YES* Sonic & Knuckles "Egg Death Machine"

Rexy

Hi all,

Got a little something I've been toying with for a while. It's not exactly the most inventive thing I've done but I've been meaning to just get this out of my head. So here we are, the obvious, "should have done this years ago" EDM mix of the Death Egg Zone from Sonic 3. I hope it scratches someone else's itch.

Remixer: GlacialSpoon (Rob Kemp, )
Forum id: 30320

Game: Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Original Track Name: Death Egg Zone
Remixed Track Name: Egg Death Machine

More notes: Blatant Martin Garrix influences but with a little of my complexity thrown in. I've been trying to dial things back a little and do more with less but the old habits always come through a bit. I end up picking over details I bet nobody will ever notice. As a result, it took far too long to complete.

Thanks for listening however this goes. Always a pleasure.
GlacialSpoon

• 1 month later...

Nice opening and build-up. Decent level of clarity despite the fairly big bass and kick presence. Some of your highs are a tad harsh on the strings. The chorus portion at 2:24 is well done and quite an original take. The second half was a bit of a re-tread of the first half, but there were some original fills/SFX. The outro is short but gets the job done. The arrangement overall feels a little basic. While there is certainly a lot going on sonically, it feels like the main theme is kind of laid on top of everything else instead of cohesively integrated. It sounds ok, but the execution could be improved. Mixing is ok, there is the previously mentioned on-the-verge of harshness in the highs, but I think it’s passable (happy if you want to update that though).

YES 

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/03/27 - (1Y) Sonic & Knuckles "Egg Death Machine"

That's one way to keep up source dominance - by having the bass push through a modified version of the main pattern (first appearing at 0:20) for most of it.  And given that you referenced Martin Garrix as a reference, I can understand with the emphasis on bass grooves and varied breaks every four bars.  The melody's usage starts straight-forward with some questionable fifth harmonies, then brought in some rhythm alterations at 1:56 that synergized nicely with the bass kick.  The effect work going on during the B section at 2:24 feels almost Moroder-like and works well as a bridge between segments.  Ultimately it goes into one last major groove at 3:19 that borrows ideas from the previous two melody uses and weaves in and out into the B section climax.  In the grand scheme of things, it makes a lot of sense for you to interpret a bass-heavy source using Big Room influences - so much that the structure fits like a glove.

The presentation works well too - well-balanced instrumentation, nothing clashing with another part, and plenty of fun EQ sweeps and synth envelopes to keep the pace going.  Despite the lack of part-writing, the soundscape feels surprisingly full - and while I would've wanted a little less emphasis on the higher frequencies overall, such a decision to carry the non-bass writing forward is still very welcome.

Nevertheless, what we have here is a well-developed arrangement that fits nicely around Big Room writing norms, with enough engaging in the soundscape to hold interest.  It's also a potent sign of your continued exploration across different types of EDM - and I hope we'll hear plenty more of that on OCR down the line.  Great work, Rob!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/03/27 - (2Y) Sonic & Knuckles "Egg Death Machine"

wow, this just sounds fantastic. i love the fat vibe going on throughout. it really fills up the soundscape. the constant varied breaks every 4-8 bars is great too, just a ton of attention paid to each section. the energy throughout is also great and i love how it keeps pushing forward.

honestly this is just a great mix and everything i want to say is echoing what the others have said. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/03/27 - (3Y) Sonic & Knuckles "Egg Death Machine"
  • 2 months later...

This is a thick soundscape, with lots of little flourishes and fills that keep throwing bits of ear candy to the listener to keep them hooked. There's really so much going on overall, I can't even begin to pick out highlights. You say that it took you "far too long" to finish this, but I can't imagine how something of this caliber could have been done without a LOT of attention to detail and persistence with trying new ideas. 

One of the best things I've heard from you to date, really excellent work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04186 - *YES* Sonic & Knuckles "Egg Death Machine"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic