Wait a second... how are videogames fun?

KWarp

The Dirty little secret of gaming is how much time you spend not having fun. You may be frustrated; you may be confused or disoriented; you may be stuck. When you put the game down and move back to the real world, you may find yourself mentally working through the problem you've been wrestling with, as though you've been worrying about a loose tooth. If this is mindless escapism, it's a strangely masochistic version. Who wants to escape into a world that irritates you 90 percent of the time?

-Everything Bad is Good For You

wingless, you are the last person I expected to outright dismiss this idea. :?

I'm outright dismissing the initial post, which is vague, stupifyingly terse, and beyond all other things, is just plain infuriating.

Any topic that has the inmitigated gaul to demand a explanation into a phenominon we all get needs to be flamed.

What makes this post doubly insulting is that I've read that Everything Bad is Good For You essay. It's talking about World of Warcraft, and to a greater extent, MMORPGS. If you had put *that* in the topic and asked for some kind of discussion, well, that would've been find and dandy!

Instead, you became FUCKED... by ME.

I will punch you through these tubes, dood. Swear to Vishnu.

I think the question is pretty valid. Because in RPGs, I spend hours upon agonizing hours for that one moment of victory or satisfaction. Going through entire seasons of sports games just so that I get the satisfaction in the end. Playing a thousand volleyball matches for a swimsuit. Racing hundreds of tracks to unlock more track to race on.

But it's fun struggling through games. For some reason.

I think the question is pretty valid. Because in RPGs, I spend hours upon agonizing hours for that one moment of victory or satisfaction. Going through entire seasons of sports games just so that I get the satisfaction in the end. Playing a thousand volleyball matches for a swimsuit. Racing hundreds of tracks to unlock more track to race on.

Because it's always fun trying to go for that perfect achievement.

Like in DDR, everyone goes for a AAA ranking, and(especially on hard songs) you definitely feel accomplished.

Theres nothing like pulling off a long agonizing juggle on your opponant, eventually ending in a super and turning that into an unblockable situation, allowing another long combo, possibly a reset , and a mixup, all set to your favorite music, ending a perfect round and continuing to juggle them after the match is over.

Sorry for the run on sentance, but its moments like that that make games fun.

Beasting.

Exploring worlds that arent available for us to explore in real life due to limited finances and crammed schedule.

There are a lot of reasons. If games weren't fun people wouldnt play them. If games weren't fun you wouldn't be sitting here during your free time looking at a screen typing about games.

Bla bla bla bla bla!!!!

It's important that the journey is as exciting as the destination. If you're just playing for one moment of satisfaction at the end of a game, you're playing for the wrong reasons.

Seems like Wingless says I didn't prepare the question well. I'll do so next time. >.>

It seems Steven Johnson has a pretty similar explanation to Raph Koster as to why videogames have mass appeal: videogames are full to the brim of readily available, clearly defined challenges and rewards. Rewards = feel good = fun.

Yes Dhsu, epiphany. :wink:

You're probably playing too many japanese RPGs.

Or MMOs.

Point is that different games have different appeals. Metal Gear Solid appeals for the characters and storyline and to a certain extent the stealth. The "fun" comes from another part of the game other then the gameplay (well, most of the times). Same could be told of Zelda, it's how the dungeons are made, the minigames, how cool the bosses are, etc.

Other games, like WarioWare, slap you with the "fun" from minute one. It's all about what the hell you're playing.

Zelda.

kinda

I'm not saying anything bad about Zelda games in general, this actually applies to all games, but how often can you sit back and say "wow this is FUN."

More like, wow this is cool, wow that is pretty, wow this is epic, wow midna is HOT.

You know.. for how many people love to say Midna is hot...

Just which Midna are you talking about? The little imp Midna who rides around on Link's back and bosses him around(eventually resorting to begging..), for 30-70 hours of the game, or the more human Midna you see for maybe 3 minutes in a cutscene at the end of the game?

Because, you know, if it's the first one, I can think of a couple signature memes that would fit, to describe it.

yiff yiff, if you know what I mean.

Zelda.

kinda

I'm not saying anything bad about Zelda games in general, this actually applies to all games, but how often can you sit back and say "wow this is FUN."

More like, wow this is cool, wow that is pretty, wow this is epic, wow midna is HOT.

You know.. for how many people love to say Midna is hot...

Just which Midna are you talking about? The little imp Midna who rides around on Link's back and bosses him around(eventually resorting to begging..), for 30-70 hours of the game, or the more human Midna you see for maybe 3 minutes in a cutscene at the end of the game?

Because, you know, if it's the first one, I can think of a couple signature memes that would fit, to describe it.

yiff yiff, if you know what I mean.
They're actually talking about the giant Fused Shadow tentacle being. Hurrrrrrrr

I don't know what's wrong with you guys, but I had fun during every single second of Twilight Princess. Seriously, if you're getting worked up about it then you're playing it wrong. Stop taking the game so seriously and you'll have so much more fun than ever before.