Wait a second... how are videogames fun?

KWarp

A fun game to me is a challenging, humorous and yet simple game, whether you're giving out commands to several characters or jumps up and down with an italian plumber. When you defeat a boss, solve a puzzle or somehow manages to get to the next level, the satisfaction that comes out of it is what makes me want to continue to play.

I don't know if that can be called "fun", but it works for me.

Videogames are "fun" because you enter a realm where you can escape the pressures of "the real world" and enjoy a fantasic RPG or an exciting shooter or a pedal-to-the-metal race.

They are fun because it pleasures the brain by releasing endorphins. That makes us feel good.

Also, as many have said, they make us feel on top of the world, the king of kings, the almighty, the superior. I get this feeling when playing violent games such as God of War and Postal 2.

Not saying I am a violent person or not. I enjoy RPGs as much as the next guy but most of the time, I end up frustrated. But when I overcome an obstacle in my way, I celebrate. Beating a mission on Tony Hawks American Wasteland made me very happy. Slaughtering hundreds of Hades' undead soldiers and ripping of harpy wings in God of War makes me grin with anger. Games are fun to some, annoying to others and degrading to some politic ians. It our job as gamers to dispell those hateful remarks and show that games are more than just evil and vile things but joyous and wonderful creations that entertains you and helps hand-eye coordination.

/end rant

I found that playing games with a buddy is really that much more entertaining.

Oftentimes I think about a few games that I want to play, and don't want to play them at the moment. Playing DragonQuest 8 at someone's house while I was visiting for a couple weeks was really fun when compared to sitting there playing it by myself.

Unless it's a game I really just want to play through because I heard it's really good, I typically don't want to play a game. When you're at someone's house, it's way way more interactive. The concept of the first sentence of this paragraph can stem from the fact that many other people in the world are playing a popular game, so you can interact with other people easily, even online.

This is just my take on it from thinking for about 2 seconds.

Personally, every game I love has to have "Damn that was badass" moments. Like in Halo 2 (damn near everything in it), or Madden (whenever you level someone or intercept or something), or Gran Turismo 4(Cutting off the other driver just before the finish), or in Final Fantasy XII (Despite not pressing anything watching my characters terrorize the enemies gives me a great feeling of accomplishment, and don't get me started on those quickening combos), or in Okami (That wheel thing is sweet), or even the simple things like in Oddworld: Stranger, whenever he goes into a full sprint and the controls allow you to cut corners and everything else. Things like that keep me coming back to a game, for that short, simple adrenaline rush.

I would think that it is all about what you consider fun. If you like puzzles, then you'll find puzzle games fun. Like driving? Then you probably like racing games.

If I was playing a game where I didn't find it fun and there wasn't any other draw for me, then I would seriously consider NOT playing it. There are plenty of other games out there. I don't think there are any games out there that are so important that you HAVE to play them, even if they're as boring as watching paint peel.

Just remember that for every game you don't find fun, there is someone out there who enjoys it.

Seriously guys, this is a big issue. I've read books on gaming based on the assumption that games are fun. What if that isn't necessarily true?
Zelda.

Here's what I do most of time in Zelda:

-circling around the environment for solutions to dungeon puzzles/hidden items

-frantically attacking enemies and not hurting them half the time

-walking

Those things lead to fun, but they aren't often in themselves.

Games actually exercise my brain if they're diffucult. I think by saying that, if you want a game where you don't have to think or exercise the reflexes in your fingers and arms (or legs if into DDR), you will not find one, unless it's a freeware fan-game online. Go back to playing the first Super Mario Bros. Problem solved.

FUN = getting a speeding ticket on the way home from work, then spending an hour or so after getting home just killing bacon on any GTA title. preferably GTA3.

sidenote,... this also includes the killing, maiming, burning, or fucking of any fag, old lady, redneck, pimp, hooker, or rescue worker on the scene at the time you smear the pig/pork/bacon/police officer/pedifile.

that is fun...but I like other games too.. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: This is not a joke post. The story within is completely true. Any similarities to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.

I know a friend whose little brother believes Superman 64 to be the best game that exists.

oh yeah? thats nothing! my younger bro thought Army Men: sarges heros was awesome. O_O

and they're right. videogames are fun, it's all about solving problems. (literal or not) its the challenge that drives us.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a joke post. The story within is completely true. Any similarities to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental.

I know a friend whose little brother believes Superman 64 to be the best game that exists.

oh yeah? thats nothing! my younger bro thought Army Men: sarges heros was awesome. O_O

and they're right. videogames are fun, it's all about solving problems. (literal or not) its the challenge that drives us.

believe it or not, some people like different things.

KWarp, I understand where you're coming from. I have very little patience and even less time to play video games, so I play games on easy when I can, and when I can't, I buy the strategy guide.

I knew when I began playing Twilight Princess that I'd miss certain things or get to a puzzle that would take me 20 minutes to solve, and I hate that shit, so I just cheat when I stop having fun.

Other than that, have you considered the fact that maybe you just don't like video games much? They're certainly not for everyone...

90% of the time I play videogames I am confused, frustrated, or disoriented. Where does this whole games = fun idea come from?

Because people didn't have a better word for the psychologically complex senses of accomplishment, immersion, puzzle-solvery, and other different forms of entertainment upon which games now rely almost exclusively.

90% of the time I play videogames I am confused, frustrated, or disoriented. Where does this whole games = fun idea come from?

If you don't think video games are fun then don't play them. Go read a book or get a hobby or go outside or something, not that complicated.

Games at which I have actually said "Wow this is fun":

Super Mario Bros. 3

Yoshi's Island

Mario Kart Double Dash

Katamari Damacy

We Love Katamari

Super Mario RPG

Most of my favorite games are RPGs which I wouldn't necessarily call "fun," but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. (If it does mean that I don't enjoy them, then I would call them "fun." Please, let's not debate semantics.)

You guys think Nascar is fun? I don't either. But my dad is a huge Nascar fan, and he is in love with any racing game, especially Nascar. He says it's extremely fun because he likes racing, but to me it's just a simulated ride going in circles. But he doesn't get why I like adventure games or FPS's. Because I like being put in a position that is usually beyond this relatively mundane world, or just being put in a situation I find more interesting.