Prime Factor - "Fear Factory" from DKC [COVER/REMIX]

BloomingLate

UPDATED VERSION

Hello again :)

I just finished another DKC remix, this time putting a spin on the factory stage music. A welcome break from trying to perfect my Aquatic Ambience mix (mixing = argh!)

The overall composition is fairly conservative though I did add a few personal touches here and there to keep it interesting. I experimented with sounds and FX and did my best balancing the mix.
I actually think this turned out really well, which makes it a positive experience for once. Every time I come back for a listen I just feel satisfied and there is nothing that stands out to me as being "wrong". I hope you'll feel the same way :D

Please listen to at least 30 seconds, even if you don't like it right away, so the play counter more accurately reflects views.

Anyway, here it is:

What do you think? Have any nice memories playing DKC and hearing the factory BGM for the first time?

Edited by BloomingLate
Re-added missing content after post fail

Hey Rene! Alles goed? :) 

Which VSTs are you using for the synths? It sounds a bit lowfi (unintentionally) and... Cheap? For the lack of a better word. It could be that you're not optimizing the VST and synth sound that you're using. Like the pluck that comes in at 0:04, it sounds way too bright in comparison to the background. And the main melody playing at 0:29 is too buried, and lacks a bit of Attack and Decay. The synth playing at 0:41 is better than the other ones, but feels a bit timid and bland, but the base synth at least works for that part. The gating after 0:55 is pretty cool though, but could benefit from an automated filter or anything at all, just to make it a little more interesting.

The pitching "sirene" sound at 2:47 repeats a few times and I'm not sure if that's a sample or actually a gliding note or automating the pitch, but if it's the latter, then you could also make it go down, go all around, do some variations... That sound is pretty good but copy pasted it loses shine quickly.

Feel free to hit me up on the OCRemix Discord and send me a PM so we can possibly screen share a bit back and forth if you're open for that :) My apologies for the raw critics on this one - you shouldn't necessarily change the piece as it is, but it's always beneficial to go into a new project with a few extra tricks up your sleeve so you keep learning and improving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 7:30 PM, Lampje4life said:

Hey Rene! Alles goed? :) 

Which VSTs are you using for the synths? It sounds a bit lowfi (unintentionally) and... Cheap? For the lack of a better word. It could be that you're not optimizing the VST and synth sound that you're using. Like the pluck that comes in at 0:04, it sounds way too bright in comparison to the background. And the main melody playing at 0:29 is too buried, and lacks a bit of Attack and Decay. The synth playing at 0:41 is better than the other ones, but feels a bit timid and bland, but the base synth at least works for that part. The gating after 0:55 is pretty cool though, but could benefit from an automated filter or anything at all, just to make it a little more interesting.

The pitching "sirene" sound at 2:47 repeats a few times and I'm not sure if that's a sample or actually a gliding note or automating the pitch, but if it's the latter, then you could also make it go down, go all around, do some variations... That sound is pretty good but copy pasted it loses shine quickly.

Feel free to hit me up on the OCRemix Discord and send me a PM so we can possibly screen share a bit back and forth if you're open for that :) My apologies for the raw critics on this one - you shouldn't necessarily change the piece as it is, but it's always beneficial to go into a new project with a few extra tricks up your sleeve so you keep learning and improving. 

Thanks for the feedback :D

I tweaked the track a little here and there, using some of your suggestions. Check updated version here:

Hope I didn't mess it up :D

I may still take you up on that offer to do something like a screen share. I often remark how I would like to have someone sit next to me and walk me through the process. Not sure when or how yet, but I'm keeping it in mind.

Some of the points you raised are a matter of taste I guess. The chosen instruments may not be the greatest, but they gave me the sounds I was looking for :D

To answer your question: I'm using mostly FLEX presets (FL Studio's free synth). I haven't touched the ADSR envelope knobs much, so that could explain a thing or two. Not sure what you mean by low-fi in this case.

Edited by BloomingLate