OCR04195 - *YES* Final Fantasy Adventure "Forgotten Palace"

Rexy

• 2 weeks later...

Another whimsical take by Rebecca. Things start off with twinkles and begin to fill out 0:38. The arrangement here moves at a steady pace and adds nicely to the original. We get a breakdown of sorts with a harp 2:20 which is accompanied by other instruments to begin closing things out. Things are over pretty quickly but it gets the job done. I think the sounds used here worked well. Perhaps not quite as technically interesting as your other works, but still solid. Mixing is fine and production doesn't have any major issues.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/04/30 - (1Y) Final Fantasy Adventure "Forgotten Palace"
  • 1 month later...

You almost threw me into a loop with that minor scale modulation at the beginning - that is very clever coming from you.  Following that, though, the track went straight into a more textbook arrangement territory with four different textural variations - and thankfully, they all vary in instrumentation and dynamics.

The first one was the closest to the source with all the piano and bell runs, then the second one at 1:05 stripped out every second note from the arp and placed them onto the staccato strings, with prior established parts all providing backing.  The third and loudest variation at 1:39 set the arpeggio further into the background, with the legato strings taking center stage with original padded harmonies.  Finally, the closing run at 2:21 cut out more of the arp's notes from the first half, with every second downbeat this time - appropriate to pace slower towards the calming finish.  Again, this approach isn't revolutionary, but it takes a simple source in different directions and gets the job done.

It's a clean mix - though I expected that, considering the lesser amount of instrumentation involved and the dynamic spread.  It's a wide one, too - peaks at -6dB during the third iteration, save for the pizzicato string in the right speaker going further to the ceiling.  I said it in one submission of yours, and I'll repeat it here - some light master compression could help tone these sudden peaks down, so they're more in line with the others from that same instrument.  The pitched percussion again sounds lovely with their velocity variations, as does many of your keyswitches across other parts.  But once again, the legato notation across your strings and woodwinds can benefit from volume shaping to get their expression in line with everything else.  Neither aspect is a dealbreaker, as the delicate direction you've aimed for works well otherwise - but they're still some food for thought.

As a complete whole, I sense a simple arrangement with enough attention paid to delicate dynamics and textural shaping to get it onto the front page.  Nevertheless, the site hasn't had any FFA coverage for ten years, and what you did is enough to give it some time back in the spotlight again.  Nice work.

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/04/30 - (2Y) Final Fantasy Adventure "Forgotten Palace"
  • 2 months later...

another comically quiet arrangement from RET. a few small spikes keep it from needing at least 6db to make it to normal.

the opening is very pretty and features some push and pull in the tempo that is really nice. the countermelodies at 0:34 are nice and well-handled. the strings that come in around 0:45 are pretty fakey compared to what's happened thus far unfortunately. the marcato section that follows that however is very well-articulated and sounds great. there's a wrong note in the ascending bass/piano line at 2:09 - the chromaticism demonstrated there isn't reflected in the upper lines. i'd have expected a borrowed V there instead. at 2:20 the main ensemble drops and it's a much lighter arrangement to carry us out. 

as jive said, it's pretty, technically simpler than previous works, but sounds great and does what you intended. i think this is over the bar albeit closer than recent submissions.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/04/30 - (3Y) Final Fantasy Adventure "Forgotten Palace"
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear lord this source is just about painful to listen to. 

The arrangement is really a bouncy and playful take on the original. There's a lot of added instrumentation that really fills out the soundscape well, and the use of dynamics really adds a lot of character here. There's also a good amount of variation to what is happening, so no part felt like a repeat, and I was at the end before I knew it. 

The master is definitely quiet overall, wouldn't mind a bump there. Otherwise enjoyable!

YES

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2020/04/30 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy Adventure "Forgotten Palace"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04195 - *YES* Final Fantasy Adventure "Forgotten Palace"
  • DragonAvenger locked this topic