OCR00140 - Donkey Kong Country "Ambient Gemini"

Donkey Kong Country 'Ambient Gemini'

As the title suggests, this song is quite ambient. Delayed synthy flute starts this off. We've got a tomish kick in the right ear, some little hats in the centre, two sets of synth strings to the left, delayed piano and a couple of other lead synths. The delay in this track is panned to the opposite ear, so you hear the copy on the other side and it makes for quite a good atmosphere. You'll also notice a few ambient sounds here and there. I really don't like the kick in the right ear though - it really feels off balance. Everything else is quite well done, with a generous amount of reverb on some of the instruments and some good mixing of each individual track. Nice stuff.

This is another great example of McVaffe keeping close to the original track, yet providing a unique-sounding take on the music with his "Ambient Gemini Mix" of Aquatic Ambiance. This one's always good for when you just want a song you can relax to. It's well worth the DL, especially if you're familiar with the original music from Donkey Kong Country 1.

-LT

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ahhhh... Fresh and cool. As the name suggests, this is almost relaxing enough to stop your heart. Drum beat is pretty neat, loved the little electric instrument and piano. I can't identify many instruments, but I do know that they blend quite well to create a mix that you can literally go to sleep on. Loved it.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

great mix. as the name implies, it has an awesome ambient feel to it. makes you want to just lie back and drift away on the waves...

the lead synth is the only quirk... as pitch-bending would have helped it flow TREMENDOUSLY. it came off a little choppy. definitely would have suggested some reverb/delay as well. other than that, it really is a beautiful piece of work. keep it up!

• 1 year later...

I´m sorry. McVaffe has always been fair to me, he makes great remixes, I download them and have a good listening moment, but this song sounds hardly arranged. It´s like:

"Hey, nice gamesong...what? It´s a remix? Oops.":oops:

Vaffdude is one of the best remixers we have, but this one didn´t just cut it.

• 2 years later...

This sounds better on my laptop speakers than on headphones. That lead synth feels warbly and airy either way, but thankfully the kick sample isn't intimate with my right ear. The soundfield sounds incomplete, but when played through my computer's speakers, the distant, low-fi flavor feels more natural and less intimidating. I won't compare this to other Aquatic Ambience mixes, but this isn't my cup of tea.

• 1 month later...

I love the source; I love McVaffe, but this one seems to be somewhat inferior to a lot of his other tracks.

Things are decently enough produced, but there are some samples that even though processed, sound really cheap, like the lead "guitar". I guess I was hoping for something more ambient than this, with a stronger mood. There is some good panning on the track, but the sound field doesn't feel very deep.

It's still a good track, but it seems like it wasn't quite complete, or perhaps one of his earlier works.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

This song is so wonderfully... well, ambient. Each little thread of melody seems to be coming and going out of some hazily comforting fog. Everything just screams, "Yo, chill out..." Definitely a very appropriate mix to just mellow out to. It strangely feels cyclic yet not repetitive... huh....

Still it's a great mix to have in any OCR collection.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's strange to think that this track probably would be rejected nowadays, OCremix has evolved quite a bit :) It's really close to the original, but hey when the original is THIS good that's fine by me. Plus it's a historical song on OC being that it was the first Aquatic Ambiance remix before everyone did one *goes off to remix Aquatic Ambiance*

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00140 - Donkey Kong Country "Ambient Gemini"