OCR04185 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "When the Planet Fights Back"

Rexy

Hi,
Here's my submission of a track from Final Fantasy VII.

Submission information:
Game: Final Fantasy VII
Arrangement Name: When The Planet Fights Back
Song arranged: Weapon Raid (Attack of the Weapon)

Contact information:
ReMixer name: infinitytone
Email address: 
userid: 34463

Hope you have fun listening and have a great week!

Best,

---
Karol (Charles) Kosacki

• 1 month later...

Starts off quite suddenly with piano leading us in. Soon after guitar takes over, with a pretty good rendition of the theme. Things break down a bit at 1:20. The choir in this portion could be better, but is not a key instrument here. The guitar cable buzz was a nice touch for the transition. Lots of drum fills keep things moving along. The 1:54 harpsichord section was a good departure from the main approach. At 2:11 guitars return for the final section. The rhythm there is quite interesting. Things build up and end with a nice delay on the final note. On the arrangement side, things are a bit-coverish. There are a number of lead guitar flourishes that help to bring it into its own, and some sections are extended or moved around, but more original material would’ve been appreciated. The production value is decent enough, with most parts being generally audible and balanced ok, without the guitars becoming overbearing. Overall not a bad job on this high energy piece.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/05/25 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 7 "When the Planet Fights Back"

I have voted NO on most of Karol's recent submissions mainly due to the weakness of the lead guitar, so let's see where this one lands.

I'll get the negative part out of the way first - the lead guitar still sounds very unnatural here. I'd go so far as to say that it doesn't always register as a lead guitar at all due to the way that it's sequenced - it somewhat fits the role of a lead synth, so in a strange way it kind of works better here, I think? 

Aside from that, the rest of the track is mighty strong! Immediately, I'm noticing that there's more in the way of instrumental variety, which goes a long way in offsetting the weakness of the lead guitar. The harpsichord and piano are a great foil to the traditional metal instruments. As usual, the rhythm guitar sounds much more natural. I'm especially captivated by the drums here, which are easily some of the best I've heard from you to date! Exceptional use of fills. And Jivemaster is right, that cable buzz transition was choice!

I still think you have a ways to go before you're going to be fooling listeners with your lead guitar sequencing, but the rest of this track is so strong that I think it edges over the bar for me. Excited to see where you go from here!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/05/25 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 7 "When the Planet Fights Back"

What an exciting direction to take this source, very energetic.  I love the soft breakdown with the harpsicord.  The lead guitar is mixed on the quiet side, which doesn't help this mix since the lead is clearly sequenced and a bit weak, but you've done quite a good job with it.  I agree with Wes the drums are fabulous and I love that buzz transition too.  Good stuff, gotta go with it!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2020/05/25 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 7 "When the Planet Fights Back"
  • 1 month later...

underappreciated track on the ost here. looking forward to seeing how it's handled.

really interesting opening that goes to a very meaty presentation of the full band sound. i agree with emunator that the lead guitar sounds just not good. a lead synth would indeed have sounded a lot better. that said, the band sound is big, and i particularly like the presence and tone of the bass guitar throughout. there's an interesting not-prog feel to the band at 0:41 for example that i really liked. 

the lead break at 1:17 was well-timed and felt good. i do like the addition of orchestral and choral elements to fill it out, especially seeing as how those elements are used on the entire original's soundtrack. the subsequent harpsichord break is nice too. that wraps us to an ending presentation of the theme and a pretty intense ending.

overall i like the band sound and i think the arrangement is fun without being too repetitive. i don't like the lead, but i don't think that is bad enough to prevent a post with this one. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/05/25 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 7 "When the Planet Fights Back"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04185 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "When the Planet Fights Back"