Here is my first submission to OCR.

Contact info:

Gamer of the Winds
Gregory Orosz

Submission info:

Octopath Traveler
Reminiscing By The River
The Riverlands

I wanted to add a little more depth to the piano part but also do a live remix that utilizes the piccolos low register and also the flutes low register.
I hope you all like it :)

Thanks,

Gamer of the Winds (Gregory Orosz)

Things start off quite softly and at a fairly similar pace of the original. The flute has some differences too it, with various flourishes and riffing, which sound great. The backing tracks help expand the sound scape. The mix did feel cover-like initially, but while it does take the safe approach arrangement wise, there is a enough original material here to keep things fresh. The deeper flute in the second half was a good way to change things up. Mixing is ok for a minimal piece. A safe yet interesting take over the original. Not bad for a first mix.

YES

Edited by Jivemaster

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/06/12 - (1Y) Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"

Wow, this is a stunning pallet of instruments! I've only ever heard your work in context of others' arrangements, but you're definitely no slouch yourself!

Though this never strays far from the original source, you took it in a decidedly more meditative, new age direction, sacrificing some of the source's staccato playfulness in exchange for something far more plaintive. The rhythmic interplay of the piano and marimba, along with an array of soothing string and pad tones, sets the stage perfectly to support but never overpower your dynamic flute performances, which of course are a highlight! 

Assuming the rest of the panel agrees, I'm looking forward to finally seeing you make your solo OCR debut. Nice work!

YES

Edited by Emunator
conditional fixed

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/06/12 - (1Y/1C) Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"

This is beautiful and luscious!  The mix starts out extremely conservative to source, but it transitions seamlessly into some beautiful originality while still being identifiable.  I am loving the instrumentation here.  I would love to get a version that is mastered just a bit louder, there is almost 6db of headroom and that's a super quiet master.  I agree with Wes that we need a clean ending fadeout, so perhaps you could take care of both things at the same time.  

YES (conditional on clean ending fadeout and slightly louder master)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2020/06/12 - (1Y/2C) Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"

right off the bat, there's some really verdant soundscape design, and some excellently personalized playing (love the falloff at 0:31, so well done). this is all very idiomatic of the whistles you're imitating. i did notice your vibrato occasionally would slow down to the point where it was distracting (1:03 for example) and not the spinning, singing tone you were going for, but that was an off and on thing, not consistent, and i know picc vibrato can be real difficult to keep consistent.

the string swells around 1:07ish really help to support that more rhythmic section. that's a nice contrast that sounded great right away. the subsequent mallets and bells at 1:35 onward were really nice, a great compliment to the melody part.

bringing in the low flute at 2:00 was just the change we needed there, as it was kind of feeling samey at that point. beautiful rich tone that is well-recorded and performed.

overall the arrangement is enough to get it over the bar. i'd love to hear you really personalizing the melodic content in future mixes, since you obviously have the chops to play it. i'd also love to hear you explore more altered tonalities - this one in particular could have really benefited from some modified chords under the melody to spice it up and keep it from feeling too much the same throughout. track is quiet and probably could have used a bit more compression besides, but it's solid and a louder max is easy to do.

this is a great first track. nice work. a cleaner fade at the end and some extra amp to bring up the track's overall volume, and this is an easy vote.

CONDITIONAL (on the end fade being a real fade, and louder master).

update 10/28: the volume was brought up and the ending faded as i asked. the tail's too long now (needs like 5s taken off) but that's easy to handle. this is a YES.

Edited by prophetik music

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/06/12 - (3Y/1C) Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"
  • Emunator changed the title to 2020/06/12 - (2Y/2C) Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04159 - *YES* Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"
  • Rexy changed the title to 2020/06/12 - *YES - TAG* Octopath Traveler "Reminiscing by the River"