DK64_Creepy Castle Remix

HoboKa

Hm, I would say it's a fun listen. One minor production issue I can see is that the sound effects you are using are fairly narrow, such as the chains at 0:31 and the laugh at 1:15. I feel like there could be enhancement of the stereo image without making it sound unnatural. To do that, one way is to add a ping-pong delay with a delay time of 15 ms or less, just so that you fool your ears into thinking that the sound is more stereo than before. You can do that with Fruity Delay 2 manually, or if you prefer you can try it with Fruity Stereo Shaper.

I like the lofi part at 1:20, and while I think it technically isn't too lofi as far as the fidelity goes, the muted brass does sound noticeably fake, particularly on the trills. If you stick to those samples, I guess what you could do is slightly lengthen the notes to overlap a bit more, and increase how up-and-down the alternated velocities go.

I don't think those two production issues bring it down though. It's mainly that the overall soundscape, to me, is more like how it would be if this were put into a remake of the game, rather than being an arrangement that puts your own twist on it (it's too conservative).

Still, I enjoyed this as it was, and while I wouldn't say it's currently ready for OCR, it's a good way to get in the mood for Halloween.

Edited by timaeus222

On 10/24/2020 at 1:15 AM, timaeus222 said:

I don't think those two production issues bring it down though. It's mainly that the overall soundscape, to me, is more like how it would be if this were put into a remake of the game, rather than being an arrangement that puts your own twist on it (it's too conservative).

Well, that fact alone takes the gas out of the rest of the feedback for me.  But, your Reverb feedback has given me some ideas for future 1-shot .wav stuff.   Muted brass stuff tips are definitely more work than worth at this juncture, but they are pretty smart ideas imo.  

Oh well.  Thanks for the feedback.  (edit) Oh, and I'm glad that you still appreciate the remix in spite of the bar crap.  

Edited by HoboKa

• 2 weeks later...

I like the lofi part at 1:20, and while I think it technically isn't too lofi as far as the fidelity goes, the muted brass does sound noticeably fake, particularly on the trills. If you stick to those samples, I guess what you could do is slightly lengthen the notes to overlap a bit more, and increase how up-and-down the alternated velocities go.

OH!  I gave it a second read, that'd be stupid easy to do, even for me hah.  The alternating velocities SHOULD actually register as being softer...if not, I guess it means a better sample eh?  But the longer notes could be done.  There isn't really a [A D S R] Mod on Aria Player, but I might be able to do something with mod wheel or something.  In theory.

Edited by HoboKa