MnP 119: All Metroid's

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

All Metroid's Bonanza!!

Samus1fanart_2D00_52617_2D00_610.jpg

Remix any Metroid source tune(s) from Metroid 1 to Metroid Prime 3 Corruption.  Meddley's are OK this round!...Also, why doesn't Metroid Crawl dangit!?

Deadline: Nov 30th Mon @ 1PM

Vote Ends: Dec 3rd Thu @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP119

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1.  Going to relax this rule with certain Indie Titles like Shovel Knight, Undertale and possibly Crypt of the Necrodancer.  Update me upon further titles that have that 'Retro Fidelity'.  Thanks!
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. Small tempo changes are OK.  But not 140 to 80 etc. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

• HoboKa changed the title to MnP 119: All Metroid's

Rundas: https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP119_Metroid Prime 3_Rundas Midi.mid

I'm gonna remix Rundas' theme (The Midi of which, Souperion provided for me).  If it's OK with him, I can share the link to it here too (or you can ask him!).  I might also make a Rundas round at PRC or something...seeing as Souperion worked his butt off to transpose it. 

Edited by HoboKa

2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

I'm gonna remix Rundas' theme (The Midi of which, Souperion provided for me).  If it's OK with him, I can share the link to it here too (or you can ask him!).  I might also make a Rundas round at PRC or something...seeing as Souperion worked his butt off to transpose it. 

Everyone's free to use that midi. It's probably the best contribution I've made to VGM ever :P Looking forward to all the Metroid pieces!

Edited by Souperion

1 hour ago, Souperion said:

Everyone's free to use that midi. It's probably the best contribution I've made to VGM ever :P Looking forward to all the Metroid pieces!

OK, I'll share it in a bit.  Thanks for being so generous :D 

https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP119_Metroid Prime 3_Rundas Midi.mid

Edited by HoboKa

59 minutes ago, Wassup Thunder said:

ANY Metroid song? Oh man, how am I gonna choose one?!

And that is the double-edged sword of this style of round.  I figured Metroid is a popular enough IP that it'd get people interested.  Hopefully something will come to mind for you :D

Oh, btw, Meddley's are fine for this round.  I better put that in the description.  Yeah, it messes with the MnP thing, but eh, play it by ear.

Edited by HoboKa

Update: Meddley's are fine for this round.  Don't need to worry about making it one inter-locked cohesive thing, just so long as a basic transition between tunes is in place, so there is no ear whiplash.  Also, Mixing and Mashing source tunes can work too, so long as the melodies are very recognizable (time-stamp em too!)!  We're throwing the baby out with the dish-water I guess, but the cost is worth it...  The Baby.  THE BABY.  EGAD Other M whyyyyy If only I could come up with this joke in one go.  But nooo, 

Edits over 9000

Edited by HoboKa

Ooooooooooo... METROID, yassss. My favorite game franchise ever (next to Castlevania and Mega Man). I can't wait to dig my heels into this! Just sad it's only 1 submission per person. :/

Will be my first time trying to work with a midi, and so far, it's terrible, aggrivating, and difficult. xD But, Imma try. Anything for Metroid, bay-beh!

On 11/6/2020 at 8:57 AM, The Vodoú Queen said:

Ooooooooooo... METROID, yassss. My favorite game franchise ever (next to Castlevania and Mega Man). I can't wait to dig my heels into this! Just sad it's only 1 submission per person. :/

Will be my first time trying to work with a midi, and so far, it's terrible, aggrivating, and difficult. xD But, Imma try. Anything for Metroid, bay-beh!

Yup, I think all of us here love Castlevania, Mega Man and Metroid.  Both PRC and MNP rounds explode with participation when they get picked.  Strangely, same with Parasite Eve.  I kinda picture you as a Parasite Eve person.  Call it a theory.  A GAME THEORY.  OW!  I just slapped myself.  Must be reflex.  Glad to see you showing interest in the Compo AND Metroid uWu.  Also, that profile pick is kick ass/sick/swag/take your pick.  Caveat: When I say "explode with participation", I mean 2-3 more people than normal minimum.  Not 20.  Didn't mean to exaggerate that much...

Edited by HoboKa

TY!!! :D I made it myself. :3 ♥

Ooo, yeah, big Square-E fan here too. It's been literal years since I played a Parasite Eve game, but my god, was the soundtrack good. ^^

But then again Square rarely lets you down with their music, even if their plots and stories are sometimes waffley and weird.

Already started on the MnP for Metroid song here, but man, are midis an assache to play around with.

Edited by The Vodoú Queen
Reminder to self: play the 3rd Birthday for the PSP ... >_> The only Parasite Eve game I never played.

It's best to make new channels and not simply replace them with a new instrument if you are going to use a MIDI***, also, maybe use a different pattern as the MIDI, to reduce Controller conflicts (edits).   And yes...Square plots are weird (but not as dark  asAtlus games), but the music is good lol.  

Edited by HoboKa

• 2 weeks later...

I've got something in the works, and it's probably not a source anyone else will pick.

I think the submission deadline on thasauce is off from the OP. Either way I should be able to get it in on time, though.

I'm doing this partly as an excuse to demo some new guitar amps. So expect some geetars from me. \m/

Good to see you again APZX! 

1 hour ago, Dextastic said:

I've got something in the works, and it's probably not a source anyone else will pick.

I think the submission deadline on thasauce is off from the OP. Either way I should be able to get it in on time, though.

I'm doing this partly as an excuse to demo some new guitar amps. So expect some geetars from me. \m/

Looks accurate, but I have to check the back-end, on my PC.  But Front-End says: Deadline: 3 days, 11 hours.....(Edit) Except I put it down as Deadline: Nov 30th Mon @ 1PM at the Compo Thread.  And yes, it is so good to see APZX come back.  You too Dex uWu.  It's like old times.  Geetars rock.    

Side Note: For my own BONUS entry update, I might have to submit a half-finished WIP if I run out of time: I'm on the wrong sleep schedule and have picked up a ((secret)) project tune on the sly as well...so things are weird.  Rundas' theme isn't exactly something I just want to cover 1:1 and call it a day...I shoulda started working on it last week.  Shit..... 

EDIT 2)

OK, so I fixed the Dates to match...I might extend the voting process by another day, if people are struggling to fit it in on time, since the Christmas round is coming up...which is another slightly rigid schedule.  Anyhow, CompoVerse is now Nov 30 as the front page advertises.  Looks like Souperion snuck in an entry too, Nice!.  

Edited by HoboKa

4 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Life has been pretty crazy lately (and will be again in a few months lol). Just happy I've been able to get back to do something. Good to see you're still around too!

Yikes... The competition is fierce from the looks of things...

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. Makes me feel like I should withdraw or work on it more, but at the same time feels like I can't do much more with it.

...Really jealous of Soup's now. :/ If I had more skill I would've done Phendandra Drifts or Chozo Ruins in a similar tribal motif... >_<

1 hour ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Yikes... The competition is fierce from the looks of things...

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. Makes me feel like I should withdraw or work on it more, but at the same time feels like I can't do much more with it.

...Really jealous of Soup's now. :/ If I had more skill I would've done Phendandra Drifts or Chozo Ruins in a similar tribal motif... >_<

Huh, I was about to quote my first-post Rule Page, but I realized that I neglected to add the stipulation: "Try to avoid making comments about other people's submissions until the Voting Process concludes"...But that's my bad for not putting it in there.  Bundeslang relies on that Rule for PRC, it's to avoid seeding ideas into people's minds that someone's work isn't as good as the rest, which can create a Voter Bias of a sort.  Thanks for reminding me haha. 

Also, win or lose, I hope our feedback is helpful.  If not, then hopefully you'll have had at least a bit of fun.  Nobody here really goes by the expectation of winning, otherwise, I think they'd have dropped out a long time ago.  You'll find your groove and rest assured, you'll win something.  Can't really force it.  I used to think this way at PRC until Bundeslang gave me roughly the same pep talk. (edits)

I hope this helps and try to stay sane in this crazy ass time we live in.  

Edited by HoboKa

46 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Huh, I was about to quote my first-post Rule Page, but I realized that I neglected to add the stipulation: "Try to avoid making comments about other people's submissions until the Voting Process concludes"...But that's my bad for not putting it in there.  Bundeslang relies on that Rule for PRC, it's to avoid seeding ideas into people's minds that someone's work isn't as good as the rest, which can create a Voter Bias of a sort.  Thanks for reminding me haha.

Ah, sorry, I can redact or edit my post if necessary. I wasn't really meaning to say any one person's song is better than anyone else's before voting time--it's just me being a party pooper on my own party. xD ...In the respect that, simply, if I had more skill I'd I guess be more adventurous. Apologies. Wasn't trying to cause a bias against my own or for favor of other's work, other than to say everything up there so far, even the non-voter ones are good and am glad the turn out is, uh...damn what's a good word. Formidable? And creative. :D

Sorry, too, cause I was under the impression other people were voting outside of who entered, not we ourselves who've entered.

Again wasn't meaning it to somehow sabotage my damned self, even though I frequent that in all my ventures. xD