MnP 119: All Metroid's

HoboKa

1 hour ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Ah, sorry, I can redact or edit my post if necessary. I wasn't really meaning to say any one person's song is better than anyone else's before voting time--it's just me being a party pooper on my own party. xD ...In the respect that, simply, if I had more skill I'd I guess be more adventurous. Apologies. Wasn't trying to cause a bias against my own or for favor of other's work, other than to say everything up there so far, even the non-voter ones are good and am glad the turn out is, uh...damn what's a good word. Formidable? And creative. :D

Sorry, too, cause I was under the impression other people were voting outside of who entered, not we ourselves who've entered.

Again wasn't meaning it to somehow sabotage my damned self, even though I frequent that in all my ventures. xD

It's alright.  Up to you, it's just a guideline, really.  Not a huge No-No like voting for yourself.  Occasionally, very rarely we get outside Voters.  That's why PRC and MnP try to incentivize people to vote, but it only works if there is 3 or more entries (People who vote get a +3 score, but again, it only works if we got at least 3 viable entries). 

For 2 Entry rounds, regulars who didn't submit something, sometimes hop in to vote.  Not gonna name them, so I don't shame the ones who don't bother to Lmao.  Crap I am so tired.  Arg.  Can't sentence-make.  

Self Sabotage is my middle name** Nvm the self comparison comment I had here before...  Now is a time for more self reflection and anxiety than ever before.  Take care of yourself VQ! :3

Edited by HoboKa

11 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Yikes... The competition is fierce from the looks of things...

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. Makes me feel like I should withdraw or work on it more, but at the same time feels like I can't do much more with it.

...Really jealous of Soup's now. :/ If I had more skill I would've done Phendandra Drifts or Chozo Ruins in a similar tribal motif... >_<

No! Stick around, please.

I'm flattered, but I understand. It is intimidating to have your work standing with other mixers. Comparison is rarely kind. Last year, I worked with Wassup T to make something for the OCR Christmas album. We had fun, but there is/was some seriously impressive stuff there. But please, don't let the comparison stop you from mixing. Keep moving forward, make new songs, learn little by little. You'll keep getting better. 

13 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. Makes me feel like I should withdraw or work on it more, but at the same time feels like I can't do much more with it.

...Really jealous of Soup's now. :/ If I had more skill I would've done Phendandra Drifts or Chozo Ruins in a similar tribal motif... >_<

Look man, I have a different interpretation of what a Meat 'n Potatoes remix is from Hoboka (I like to think of it as more of throw your initial idea at the wall and see what sticks kind of thing). However, that does not stop me from entering these competitions. In fact about a year ago one of the MnP remixes I did actually made it to OCR*. At the end of the day the important things with these competitions is to have fun. I use this competition more as a production test bed in terms of how quickly I can get an idea down and get something of decent quality out. While it may not seem like it, each completed track that you do no matter the quality of writing or production or whathaveyou is experience, whether good, bad, or neutral. With experience you know what works and what does not work. You just slowly build up this palette of preferred tools and techniques that work for you. Maybe you like to mix in LCR. Maybe you prefer to use simple libraries or synths over complicated ones. Maybe you have a preferred set of plugins that you put across every track. I dunno. Use these friendly competitions as test beds to see what sticks and what does not ;)

* - There is a bit of a story here. Initially it got rejected or whatnot from an initial listen by a judge (or something to that effect). At any rate I disagreed and requested that it be sent to the panel regardless and it turned out that in general my suspicion was correct that it was more minor things that needed to be ironed out. After some rework and whatnots I resubbed it and it made it to OCR.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, The Vodoú Queen said:

I haven't listened to the entries yet, but we're all just here to learn and have fun. I've learned a ton by doing these over the last few years. Entering these competitions should be a low stress thing, even if the amount of work and love you put into your entry is high.

34 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

I haven't listened to the entries yet, but we're all just here to learn and have fun.  With Spaghetti for Boi's Dinner.  Sorry Dex, ADHD moment.

I haven't spoiled most of the round for myself either.  I tend to wait for the Voting Stage...I've only listened to VQ's entry so far and it is a sign that this round'll be one to write home about...Totally didn't break the golden rule there.  Anyhooo... Time for me to slip into my skin-tight Samus Zero Suit and finish up my Rundas Remix...Preferably with all the mirrors covered.  

4 days to go to finish up and ride the Hype Train to Metroid Glory!!  The baby.  The baby.  The BABY...DAMNIT OTHER M!!  Not again!!  Now where did I put my Ritalin?  

Edited by HoboKa

I am unsure what to say other than thank you, for the words of confidence and motivation. ♥

If nothing else, at least I'm in good company. :D But I hear ya'll, and will take your words to heart. ^^ And try to keep them all in mind for future reference when I'm low and the cards are down. :D

Yay, soon it'll be vote time. :0

On 11/27/2020 at 10:30 AM, HoboKa said:

I submitted a BONUS and it's not a cover, as promised.

Hype hype hype. I can't wait for the voting to be done so I can start verbalizing my obsessing over all these songs. Also, I find it coincidentally great that both Rundas and Gandrayda got mixes. Makes me wish I did Ghor's, so we could cover all the hunters.

11 hours ago, Souperion said:

Hype hype hype. I can't wait for the voting to be done so I can start verbalizing my obsessing over all these songs. Also, I find it coincidentally great that both Rundas and Gandrayda got mixes. Makes me wish I did Ghor's, so we could cover all the hunters.

Hyper Beam! 

Oh well.  Maybe we know which source tune you'll pick when next you win hardy har har.  

Edited by HoboKa

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 6 entries this round.
  • There is 2 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • HoboKa have a vote worth 2x. Muahahah
  • When Voting, please don't be inflexible when considering the conservative approach.
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends on PINGAS day.  (I accidentally edited this one instead of copy/pasting to next round LOL)

Edited by HoboKa

Oh boy.  I'm dreading voting.  2X Voting Power...2X the responsibility.  Someone is gonna be elated.  Someone is gonna be feeling down.  My feedback is kinda shit, but I will do my best...just gotta put myself in a productive mindset.  Like walking a tight-rope over Adam's Control Room, who is Not Authorizing me to vote.  X_X

2 hours ago, Souperion said:

Well, then this little gem I found a while back oughta help you out:

Votes in. Nice work, all of ya'll.

Metroid Authorize This.png

Well, that was the motivational image that I needed.  Now to look up Samus lewds. 

The turnout here was amazing, btw.  6 viable entries...wow I am honored guys.  Good luck tomorrow! 

Edited by HoboKa

Results

• Souperion got 1st with 19 points. 
  • Dex got 2nd with 14 points
  • NickC got 3rd with 13 points. 
  • APZX got 4th with 11 points.
  • The Voduo Queen got 5th with 9 points. 
  • Wassup Thunder got 6th with 7 points. 

**To newcomers: The Final Scores on Compoverse do NOT reflect Final Score on Results Page!!  This is because Website doesn't take into account Voter Bonuses and manually editing it is a big pain in the butt that I won't get into...unless things were recently streamlined and I'm out of the loop...

[EDIT]Souperion please PM me with your source pick for Round 120.  Make it Winter-Themed, if possible.  :D 

Comments

Wow, amazing turnout and an interesting opinion on who was the MnP-ist of them all.  This was an awesome round.  Maybe next year I'll do this style of round with another popular franchise...

Edited by HoboKa

Congrats dudes! Awesome turnout this month!

For those who want the answer to my riddle.

Here it is!

NickC got it partially right, so he gets 1/2 a cookie. 

Souperion was bang on the money, he get's a full cookie.

As for the rest who tried, commiserations, hopefully you had a little fun.

And yes APZX that is the source ran through Paul's Sound Stretch, for only 7 minutes.

Well done to the winner by the way!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Loved all the pieces here, it was a treat to hear so many Metroid mixes in one voting-sitting. Flattered and astounded at a win. If I gotta pick December's source, I'd better go find some nice wintery toon, eh?

54 minutes ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Souperion was bang on the money, he get's a full cookie.

I prefer chocolate chip XD. You really had me reeling on that thing. I was going through Metroid OSTs, racking my brain.

See you all next mission?