Super Metroid: "Ambient Maridian Depths"

HoboKa

The opening bell synth... It hurts so good. And the ambient sfx just hiding behind the song. But when the choirs came in, it really hit me. Wondrously ambient and hauntingly serene. I wonder if the piano has a bit too much reverb on it, though. Is that a flute that comes in at 3? I rather like how it's almost dry effect from lack of reverb contrasts with the wet sounding of everything else. The harp thing (can't tell if it's a sample or synth) sounds like it's straining a bit at the higher notes around 4:00-4:10, makes it sound a bit fuzzy, which is sad because it sounds real nice otherwise. 

Good luck, really enjoyed this piece.

3 hours ago, Souperion said:

The opening bell synth... It hurts so good. And the ambient sfx just hiding behind the song. But when the choirs came in, it really hit me. Wondrously ambient and hauntingly serene. I wonder if the piano has a bit too much reverb on it, though. Is that a flute that comes in at 3? I rather like how it's almost dry effect from lack of reverb contrasts with the wet sounding of everything else. The harp thing (can't tell if it's a sample or synth) sounds like it's straining a bit at the higher notes around 4:00-4:10, makes it sound a bit fuzzy, which is sad because it sounds real nice otherwise. 

Good luck, really enjoyed this piece.

OK, so the piano 'verb, Flute might be too dry, harp thing is weird at high notes (probably a Layered Texture which could be swapped out or culled via Timber).  Thanks for the positive vibes.  I'll see what @timaeus222 or @Liontamer or @Gario thinks nudge nudge, hint hint.  Tag tag.  

Oh damn... A lower Maridia song. ♥

I'll have a listen to it a few times today, see what I can comment on. I'm not wholly well-versed in music production / compo lingo, at the moment, but I'll try my best to shine some insight on it based on experience listening to the original song and whatever this remix's genre is. ^_^

Man...this is the kind of shit I'd listen to if I was playing Subnautica, frankly. The simultaneous vibe of wonder and awe of the depths of an ocean, clashing against the sheer mystery and fear of being in it is well-encapsulated here. I really love the background 'bubbling' and 'swirling' sfx lying behind the melody.

The piano and harp are beautiful, and I'm not saying that facetiously. Honestly can't tell what's a midi and what's a possible loop here, but it's all melding pretty well so far.

However, here are my quibbles, as I call 'em:

1) Jesus Christ, did I want more choir, damnit, lol. As much as I think the song does benefit with brief pauses of silence from the vocals, I think some areas could benefit with a continuation of the chorus (e.g. 2:23 to, say, 2:55).

2) That said, I think also some places could do with moments of just the background sfx (e.g. 1:05), albeit extremely brief, like maybe 4 beats or something. Just something of a pause, like, the bathosphere stopping its decent that brief moment, before you cross the threshold of going into the Mariana Trench (and it kicks up to the main bridge of the melody.) Some people would disagree, but I like some pauses, rests and transitions I guess. I feel they round out a song better, but it might not work here.

3) The very reedy, dry flute (@ 3:00) suits the song. I do agree with Soup, but I think more reed instruments could either be included, swapped out between or layered somehow. I feel for contrast, a wet-sounding clarinet or oboe would work well juxtaposing the flute at some point in the song. Or, perhaps, a violin. But I'd stick to woodwind instrumentation. Maybe instead of the flute continuing @ 3:52, try the oboe.

4) The harp (when it's in tangent with the flute) is a bit fuzzy to hear, yes. I think what it might need is a means of 'letting the strings settle' (reverb), I think that's how they call it when accentuating with string instruments. Let certain notes flow a bit rather than constantly being plucked, because unfortunately the plucking sounds like the flute when each note is tongued, and it's stablizing to the point they sound alike, or too layered. Just have a play around with it, see what works. :D

5) The triangle 'dink' with the flute and at the end is cute. Sorry had to say it.

That's all I can think of. To be fair I can't really fault this piece much, as the original is extremely beautiful even in chiptune, and this as a more ambient orchestrial piece is as well. :) If this isn't the final draft, I do look forward to when it's finished. :3 Please prod me when it is. ♥

Well, that's useful.  For #3, I'll be wanting to keep the flute most-likely, b/c the flute semitone pitch bend thing is a feature that's built in and not necessarily present in all my orchestral samples within Composer Cloud**, not sure how to do it using actual MIDI controllers, beyond 1st party FL synths.  FL doesn't play the best with 3rd party DAWs, unless i'm huffing paint.  The rest will be easier to do methinks.  Thanks for the feedbacks guys.  

whew...edits.  

Edited by HoboKa

@The Vodoú Queen

3) The very reedy, dry flute (@ 3:00) suits the song. I do agree with Soup, but I think more reed instruments could either be included, swapped out between or layered somehow. I feel for contrast, a wet-sounding clarinet or oboe would work well juxtaposing the flute at some point in the song. Or, perhaps, a violin. But I'd stick to woodwind instrumentation. Maybe instead of the flute continuing @ 3:52, try the oboe.

Oh...that's what you meant.  Derp.  That is an interesting thought.  I'll have to work it in with the other ideas.  Whenever I get the energy and motivation to spare.  Still a bit down in the derp-dumps.

5) The triangle 'dink' with the flute and at the end is cute. Sorry had to say it.  

:3 Dinkin' Doughnuts.  

Edited by HoboKa

• HoboKa changed the title to Super Metroid: "Ambient Maridian Depths"