vBulletin Forum Migration Issues

djpretzel

Would there be any chance of getting say 100 posts per page?

Seeing as a lot of topics tend to get quite long.

It seems to me that such an option could conceivably place undue stress on the server. Trying to return the contents of 100 posts in a single query over and over again is not as easy as a smaller number of results.

Of course, I could be just talking out of my ass.

It seems to me that such an option could conceivably place undue stress on the server. Trying to return the contents of 100 posts in a single query over and over again is not as easy as a smaller number of results.

Of course, I could be just talking out of my ass.

I think overall it would result in less total stress (since there's less overhead) since you're only executing some of the overall queries (user's info and some of the other stuff that has to be retrieved every page) once, so while a single large page would take less total time to execute than multiple smaller ones, it wouldn't be broken up like the smaller queries would be. So basically it would appear slower if someone was trying to access a page at the same time as someone trying to get a 100 post page.

Question: Why can't I paste stuff into the posting box when writing a post? I can copy out of it, but I can't paste into it. This is rather annoying when trying to spell check, or paste in a second quote since you can no longer address multiple quote boxes within each other as simply as you could on phpBB.

Edit: This also makes posting URLs a pain in the ass.

I didn't see this anywhere in my control panel options, and I appologize if this has been addressed in the last 7 pages but...

I STRONGLY prefered having the 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 style to the new 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page style. If I return to a thread, I likely want to catch up on the last page or two... not hunt around to where I was backwards from the last page.

Is there anything I should know about this change? Is it one set in stone? Can I change it in my own preferences?

Wondering if you can make it so the amount of threads on one page of a forum can be adjusted to more. Right now things get knocked off to other pages too fast.

I wondered about this, too.

LAOS: this issue has been addressed before by Mustin. No mod for vB which changes "Last page" to numbers has been found yet.

I noticed that I am not able to mod anything in site projects. I wanted to do something in my project thread, but am unable to do what I wanted to. Then, testing to see if I am even a mod there still, I tried to post in the guideline thread Darkesword created, to which I was unsuccessful in doing.

Are site project coordinators no longer mods to that section of the forum?

An issue that I really don't want to be passed up. Hopefully an answer can be given soon?

An issue that I really don't want to be passed up. Hopefully an answer can be given soon?

The plan for individual project moderation is still being worked out. Being a project coordinator probably won't mean you get mod powers anymore, because it's not really needed. In the meantime, if you have a pressing moderation issue for your project, just contact a mod.

Any chance we could lose the "Hot" thread thing? It's not really necessary. Especially on a big forum like this. I don't think we need the red and mocha envelopes - just one or the other. It's superfluous, dig?

I concur. Me personally, I don't care whether a thread has 10 or 100 posts; if I think it's interesting, I'll read it. The different envelopes just look strange to me.

I've noticed difficulty adding names to the "Buddy List". I'll type out the name and it will claim the person cannot be found in the forum. There are no spelling errors and all accents are placed. It also doesn't work when I copy and paste the user's name. Glitch?

Super bad! Threads are lookin' good.

One last thing (haha)

What would you all think about changing that "Go to First New Post" button right next to the topic title to good old OCR orange instead of the gray colour it is now? That would help it just pop and let you know that there are new posts.

In fact, if you had that, you probably wouldn't even need the envelopes and could have more width for the posts!

Who-ah!

I've noticed difficulty adding names to the "Buddy List". I'll type out the name and it will claim the person cannot be found in the forum. There are no spelling errors and all accents are placed. It also doesn't work when I copy and paste the user's name. Glitch?

This is a glitch with accents, like those found in Doulifee and anne amere's names. No idea if there's a workaround or not.

This is a glitch with accents, like those found in Doulifee and anne amere's names. No idea if there's a workaround or not.

Damn.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

That's really getting old.

Any hope for doing something about the smacktarded behavior of the "quick reply" window? Or maybe just get rid of it entirely? I can't seem to find an option for it..

A good way to have it work, would be so you could just quickly post a reply to the thread(default at the OP, if needed), so you can actually make use of it to quickly reply to a rapidly moving topic. Otherwise, it's just sorta sitting there, taking up room, being ugly.

And aside from that.. maybe do something about the edit text boxes in general, for posting? They don't seem to want to behave nicely with cursor positioning. If you click too low in the edit box, it refuses to accept that you've clicked in it, and otherwise it wants to add extra lines, which can make working with tabs to get links and stuff a touch annoying.

Any hope for doing something about the smacktarded behavior of the "quick reply" window? Or maybe just get rid of it entirely? I can't seem to find an option for it..

It's next to the quote buttons, at the bottom of every post.

A good way to have it work, would be so you could just quickly post a reply to the thread(default at the OP, if needed), so you can actually make use of it to quickly reply to a rapidly moving topic. Otherwise, it's just sorta sitting there, taking up room, being ugly.

I've seen it work similar to this on other fora. It's automatically enabled, and lacks a quoting tickbox. If you want to quote people you don't use it, or type the code.

I'd rather just get rid of the quick reply box altogether, since it's generally useless. A regular reply usually works just fine, or just click on the Quote button if you want to quote what someone said, very similar to the behavior of the old board.

I dunno.. just because there's a feature that's included, doesn't mean it needs to be put in place. Especially when it tries to limit itself like it does.

Or maybe turn it into a javascript button, so it'll just pop open when you push the button and you can type your reply, rather than have it sit there and eat up half a screen?

Or maybe turn it into a javascript button, so it'll just pop open when you push the button and you can type your reply, rather than have it sit there and eat up half a screen?

If you click the collapse_tcat.gif button at the top right of the Quick Reply box, it'll be out of your way somewhat until you choose to use it, if you choose to use it.