Rexy

Contact Information
Your ReMixer name: Techie Jessie
Your real name: Sara Garrard
Your email address: 
Submission Information
Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Name of arrangement: A Broken Waltz
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Return To The Planet, A Broken World (Mainly those, which contain overlapping material—there are little phrases from Jessie's Theme, and from the original FFVII soundtrack: Main Theme/Holding Thoughts In My Heart/Opening Bombing Mission, but not enough to be listed as remix of those tracks.)
Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) Masashi Hamauzu
Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj64Ekm0_8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhb8h_Ge0c
Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: 
This is a reimagining of the "A Broken World" theme from FFVII Remake, a part of the new-composed score that I really liked for how filmic and sad and properly melodic it was.  This is still in a broadly soundtrack style and shape, but taking the sad strings theme and changing it into a melancholy, bittersweet, slightly French(?) waltz tune (from 0:53).  Surrounded by some material from the opening of Return to the Planet, a couple quotes from Jessie's Theme plus little touches of other FFVII themes at the start.  Some orchestration ideas owe a little to Joe Hisaishi's Ghibli scores, particularly Howl's Moving Castle, the lightness and the 7ths and also on the other hand the church organ at the start!
It's still definitely sad.  But maybe not entirely bleak.  In honour of Biggs, Wedge and Jessie, who were my faves from the start.

Return to the Planet:

A Broken World:

Jessie's Theme:

The Look on Her Face:

Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY VII:

Holding My Thoughts in My Heart:

Opening - Bombing Mission:

I'm having a hard time identifying how all of the source tunes are referenced here. I realize several things are just cameos, but if someone else is more familiar with these FF7 Remake and FF7 themes, I'd appreciate anyone chiming in with some timestamps. Sounds good otherwise, and will await more information.

EDIT (2/3/23): OK, I'll do my own!
:00-:05, :16.25-:20.5 ("Main Theme of FF7")
:38.5-:51 ("Jessie"/"The Look on Her Face")
:53.5-1:15 ("A Broken World"), 1:15-1:24.75 ("Return to the Planet"/"A Broken World"), 1:24.75-1:59 ("A Broken World"), 1:59-2:27.75 ("A Broken World" - 2:59)

I didn't recognize the "Opening - Bombing Mission" theme cameos, but some keen listeners can go for it.

This presents like more of a cinematic cue, and that's just fine with me. Sorry for the wait, Sara, and welcome aboard! :-)
YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/08/17 - (1? - SOURCE TUNE ID HELP?) Final Fantasy 7 Remake "A Broken Waltz"
  • 4 months later...

I can't peg every second of this to source material; I'm not great with orchestral scores as compared to more melodic stuff, but I know the original FFVII soundtrack pretty well.  However, there's clearly a preponderance of source material used from A Broken World alone, even more so with Return to the Planet worked in.

Gorgeous orchestration.  Excellent use of additive and subtractive textures to create a dynamic, engaging, rich soundscape.  When the main piano theme kicks in in the middle, wow.  I'm not totally convinced that the church organ opening goes with everything else, but that's subjective, and I can't think of anything else to complain about.  Just stellar work.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2020/08/17 - (1Y/1? - SOURCE TUNE ID HELP?) Final Fantasy 7 Remake "A Broken Waltz"
  • 1 month later...

interesting choice with the opening organ, used extensively on the original FFVII soundtrack. most of the first 0:53 was fragments so minimal it was hard to tie to any specific theme (at least to my ears). there's some more triple meter ramen between 0:53-1:25, but the attack-heavy piano there sounds very evocative and is clearly referencing the OST. the panning's a bit much but only a bit. mirroring it with the winds a bit later before expanding it is really great and serves as an excellent transition to the harp and bells. the string entrance at 2:34 was so rich, and the overall feel of never coming quite to a root chord fits the uncomfortable, weary feel of both originals really well.

the execution of the instruments is super good. there's a few tiny spots i might complain about (the initial flute for example around 0:39) but that's a nitpick at most.

this is very well done. the connection between both of the listed originals can be tenuous at times but i believe that there's more than enough there (admittedly i don't want to timestamp it if i can avoid it). the technical aspects are fantastic as well.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/08/17 - (2Y/1? - SOURCE TUNE ID HELP?) Final Fantasy 7 Remake "A Broken Waltz"
  • 1 month later...

On first listen, you’d be forgiven for thinking that this track starts at 1:25, with that beautiful piano rendition of the melody from "A Broken World". That was the point at which I really sat up and took notice. However, on repeat listens, there’s a lot of detail and, I would say, confidence in this arrangement. I definitely hear the Ghibli/Hisaishi influence here. To attempt a “soundtrack” style orchestral ReMix using pieces from many FF7 sources shows great depth of knowledge of the game, and a strong emotional connection, which shines through the piece.

I’m sure fans of the series will love this immediately, although for a listener who has never played FF7, I would say that it took me a few listens to appreciate everything you were trying to do here. It definitely requires more concentration to listen to than most of the music I listen to regularly, but that’s no bad thing. There are moments of magic, such as 1:25, and the orchestration is beautifully done.
Not my usual cup of tea, but definitely worthy of the front page.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2020/08/17) *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 7 Remake & Final Fantasy 7 "A Broken Waltz"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04415 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 Remake & Final Fantasy 7 "A Broken Waltz"
  • Liontamer locked this topic