PRC419 - The 17th Anniversary Of PRC (Free Round)

Bundeslang

Hey there. :)

TYSM for the congrats guys, but TBH, it's all of you who should get the biggest congrats. Those were some damned good songs, and I really did have a terrible time picking and choosing amongst the lot. No one song, to me, was "bad", even if a WIP / old project. So congrats all around. :D

@Dextastic TY for the deeper bit of criticism on Catamitus. I'll take it into account with the rest and possibly do a remaster or fidget with it before publishing it fully. :D

@HoboKa It's no problem at all. Was my sincerest pleasure to try to give everyone in-depth critique! Hope they're at least useful...

I noticed some questions came up about my work, two of which I'll try to address here:

1. None of the songs, even Halcyon Hare Stage were done using anything but BandLab and whatever SFX, EQ, VSTs, loops and samples are available on there. XD There were no live recordings or using other devices to meld sounds together--hope that doesn't burst anyone's bubble. D: But my deepest TYs for thinking the songs were good enough to sound live recorded! Still think I need better kit to make the sounds less issue-riddled where they do (like some of the clipping or out-of-syncness some of you pointed out,) but perhaps when I get some money I'll move onto a 'real' DAW like FL Studio, see where that takes me. :)
  2. They were all different songs. The one that one was MMX6's Rainy Turtloid (Inami Temple) Stage. Halcyon Hare was an original song I made, just to have the sound aesthetic like a Mega Man X game, and Catamitus was the remix of the Castlevania song 'Aquarius'. Hope that cleared up any confusion.

Again, thanks so much for the critiques and the thumbs up. The positive vibes made me blush and the constructive criticisms were super good and thought-provoking. I'll try to take them onboard in future projects. :D

And I'll try to pick something real good for the next PRC! :3

2 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:
  1. They were all different songs. The one that one was MMX6's Rainy Turtloid (Inami Temple) Stage. Halcyon Hare was an original song I made, just to have the sound aesthetic like a Mega Man X game...

Was meaning to ask in my vote comment, but forgot to... I need to know what Halcyon Hare's weapon get would be...

4 hours ago, Wassup Thunder said:

Impressive work everyone, kudos for the win TVQ!

Huh, no one else mentioned that the strings sounded shrill, so I think I was being too subjective on your guys' collab.  Maybe I tried too hard to find something to critique...see why I need to take a step back? :D :D

1 minute ago, HoboKa said:

Huh, no one else mentioned that the strings sounded shrill, so I think I was being too subjective on your guys' collab.  Maybe I tried too hard to find something to critique...see why I need to take a step back? :D :D

I don't mind, no offense taken! Specific critique like that helps me reflect on my work and find ways to improve.
On that note, I have gotten feedback on various projects that some instruments (most often the violin, imagine that!) sounded a tad shrill. I wager that it probably does get shrill sometimes by accident, which I'd sure like to fix! Do you (or anyone for that matter) know any methods to address shrill instruments, EQ or otherwise? I'd love to learn how to avoid my organic samples coming off harsh.  

16 hours ago, Wassup Thunder said:

I don't mind, no offense taken! Specific critique like that helps me reflect on my work and find ways to improve.
On that note, I have gotten feedback on various projects that some instruments (most often the violin, imagine that!) sounded a tad shrill. I wager that it probably does get shrill sometimes by accident, which I'd sure like to fix! Do you (or anyone for that matter) know any methods to address shrill instruments, EQ or otherwise? I'd love to learn how to avoid my organic samples coming off harsh.  

I always say "Taste is personal" lol

Congratulations, TheVodouQueen!

Thank you everyone for your feedback! It's nice to know that I'm improving, even if I didn't win. :) (Sorry I didn't vote!)

@HoboKa, I saw your vote and I completely agree about needing "better" sounds, but I didn't use anything you mentioned. I only used FLEX and one instance of Harmless, plus some drum samples. Do you know of any good sound stuffs that would be worth getting?

On 1/19/2021 at 3:29 AM, Wassup Thunder said:

Was meaning to ask in my vote comment, but forgot to... I need to know what Halcyon Hare's weapon get would be...

@Wassup Thunder HM! Sorry I had to think on this one.

When I was thinking of something for Halcyon Hare, TBPH, the thing I was thinking of was the Primal fight against Tsukuyomi in FFXIV. Long story short, crazy lady turns into a big bunny-eared goddess that uses the power of moonlight and darkness to kill you, mostly with her pipe, fans, and two long katana blades. It's a real fun fight. But converting that to a Maverick--if I could've--I'd figure the received weapons for X & Zero would be along those lines.

Maybe a ray beam for X (that can bounce around the area), and the charged up shot releases a dark cloud that can homing beam things on the screen.

Zero's would probably be a split Z-saber where he charges forward with two moonlight blades, and his charged would be a 360 degree spin of blades after the charge forward. xD

Guess it'd also fit cause the small ray-bunny enemies that appear in some MMX games use their ears to shoot beams at you, so kind of makes sense if the big boss Maverick akin to them absorbs moonlight (or maybe even sunlight) to do attacks with. Unsure if the Maverick would be more kunoichi or samurai in style, but it'd be a cool thing to draw I'd figure.