OCR00146 - Mega Man 3 "Gemini Salsa"

Mega Man 3 'Gemini Salsa'

Salsa. You don't hear much of that around here I must admit. Judging from the overall feel of the song, McVaffe has done an exceptional job in getting together the Mexican / Spanish / whatever vibe. A bit samish the whole way through - I know I'm probably being silly, I mean there is variation, but I think there should have been more. McVaffe's classic piano work shines through here once more (he likes his pianos... hmmm Jive, how long did it take you to work that out?!?:)). Good percussion. Cha, cha, cha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ooh... spicy! Viva la variety! ;)

When I saw the title to this remix, I couldn't wait to download it... because it then dawned on me that the Gemini Man music is more than perfect for this style remix. It's practically begging you to turn it into a smooth, Latin-esque tune... and that's exactly what you did. 8)

I like the flute as well, it's light and sounds almost playful. The strings are also light, and the bass sounds nice and 'bouncy'... the piece doesn't sound weighed down at all, which is great. :)

8/10 here... very nice, very smooth... and DJP's right, you gotta respect a guy who dares to wander outside the basic VG remix genres of 'techno' and 'ambient'. (Not that I don't like those catergories! :lol: ) Congratulations on a remix well done, Mr. McVaffe sir! :)

-Samus

• 4 months later...

I don't know why, because it plays just fine on my computer, but when I upload it to an RCA Lyra it goes berzerk 16 seconds before the end of the song and skips right to the end like a badly scratched CD. I've tried re-downloading the file, re-uploading the song, and pretty much anything you could suggest - but the one thing I've noticed when listening to it with the MusicMatch Jukebox is that even though the song length shows up as 2:59 the file plays past that to 3:00 and almost 3:01. Maybe there's an encoding error that corrupts the playback on non Windows platforms?

• 2 months later...

Oh my god, it fits perfectly. I can't believe how fluidly it matches the original game soundtrack. I also thoroughly enjoy the irony that Gemini Man's stage had an ice/crystal-theme to it, and Salsa has a fiery tempo. ^^

A job damn well done, McVaffe.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

0:35 is badly dissonant, and I'm sure it's not intentional.

Other than that, I love this mix. The low techno-ey kick makes it not really salsa. Also the bassline lacked some nuances that I would have included. (But hey, I'm a jazz upright bassist) Overall this is a great remix. Highly recommended.

• 4 months later...

The Gemini Man stage music was MADE for a salsa remix. It's also the best stage music in the game. :) McVaffe somehow makes it better with this mix, however.

It's strange, though, that the Gemini Man stage is the one with the famous graphical and sound glitch, where you can turn off the music. I usually utilize this glitch when I play, so I don't hear the music most of the stage. That's me, though, taking a cool glitch over cool music...

However, if it was McVaffe's song in the game, well... :D

• 10 months later...

Heh. Surprised this doesn't have more reviews. About 2 1/2 years ago, when I had a chance to listen to all of the OC ReMixes (back around the 700s) this was one of the mixes I really enjoyed from a game I had never played before. Definitely a very unique vibe relative to everything on the site, even another couple of years after I heard it. Always chill, always quality. Definitely check it out; McVaffe's rep is always solid.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't believe I only heard this remix by luck! There I was playing Mega Man 3 and Gemini Man's theme makes me want to remix it. I just had to see if there were any other versions of the song that I could listen too, and there it is! McVaffe, you've done it again, I love your work, and this song is just amazing.

Now, back to learning that flute solo....

|GX

This is FANTASTIC! I can't believe I haven't reviewed it until now. Ah I'm embarrassed! :oops:

From the opening beat to the piano, I have to say I love EVERYTHING in this song. The quality is excellent as is the genre. :wink: You don't have to be a fan of Mega Man to appreciate this!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Barring the wrong bass note that hits twice (probably what the other reviewer mentioned at the :35 mark), this is a super-quality mix.

The flute is a nice lead, and the rhythm section keeps things solid and moving along. The piano is especially good, and even though the abrupt fade and lack of expansion holds the mix back, it's still stylistically a very good conversion.

I think a solo section (or a percussion solo even!) would have really improved things. :-)

• 2 years later...

Another very early McVaffe mix that raises the standards of what we consider to sound aged. This has withstood the decade since it was released with a lot of dignity, largely thanks to the amount of talent and prowess McVaffe had even back then.

I'm a big fan of the flute in this. It adds everything the mix needed, and sounds great to boot.

It's not that the samples are time-resistant; they are as archaic as you'd expect of a mix this old. But the way they are used and the strength of the combined product is pretty profound. The fact that everything that worked 10 years ago still works as it did today is almost unheard of. Only a select few mixers have managed to pull it off.

It's a really smooth blend of sounds with a nice pulse to it. It ain't salsa, but I prefer it this way anyhow. The only thing I'd change is the senseless fadeout.

• 10 months later...

I was listening to the soundtrack to Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters yesterday and I came upon Gemini Man's theme.* The song's beat, tone, and structure IMMEDIATELY reminded me of this ReMix.

. Coincidence? Or did McVaffe draw inspiration, however large or small, from that particular arcade tune? I guess the real question is whether this mix stands on its own, unique among other Gemini Lasers. And the answer is yes, of course. :P

Something about the tin-metal drums and the "just thick enough" bass makes me hungry. They sound yummy enough that I'm trying to close my mouth over them and gulp 'em down. Speaking of taste, the sparkles and shaker are like salt and pepper (condiments are complements). Piano bass notes (and doubled notes in a higher key) are the melody's guiding wheels, and chords and runs gracefully flex the arrangement's space of expression, which feels free in a relaxed tempo like this. And the flute lends an uplifting hand whenever it senses the other players need a break or two.

This sure tingles my taste buds. I could use some nachos and salsa right now.

*If anyone's curious, I was using M1, a neat little tool that can access the music from MAME ROMs, and Gemini Man's theme is song 16.

• 3 years later...
Of course, you know what would have been cool? If somehow it would have been mixed with DeeJay from Super Street Fighter's theme. It so lends itself to it.

I can hear where that could have indeed been done and yeah, that would have been cool. Still, it's pretty cool in itself how this source lends itself to this kind of arrangement. I like this so much more than the original, and whenever a ReMix can make me like it more than an original, I have to give it huge props. Nicely done, McVaffe.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00146 - Mega Man 3 "Gemini Salsa"
  • 7 years later...