OCR04315 - *YES* Kingdom Hearts "The Slums of Traverse"

prophetik music

remixers: prophetik music, PhrygianFingers

name: The Slums of Traverse
game: kingdom hearts
source: 'traverse town'

artist comments: zach and i recorded this track over christmas break in 2007 according to my file dates. we were goofing around with some music software one evening and he started playing the traverse theme in a minor key. i recognized it and pulled out my sax, and we recorded it in one take. due to some software limitations at the time, the keyboard midi data was in reason 3 (!!!), and we exported that and dropped the wav of my sax into FL and mastered it there. we had been meaning to come back to it for years and it just never became a thing. a little while later, i got married and moved away, and we fell out of touch.

imagine my surprise when i happened across this arrangement on a fan tumblr account last year with tens of thousands of plays, and tons of comments about how much they enjoyed it! that brought it back into the front of my memory, and i went looking for the files in my (far too large) collection of old hard drives but couldn't find it. time passed and another forum-goer who i used to interact with a bunch 10+ years ago messaged to say hello, and ask what happened to this track. well, i went looking again, and this time i found my original files. i asked around for someone to help extract the midi data, and then did some crunching in the keyboard part to fix some sour notes and odd articulations. and here we are! probably not the first 13-year remix in the history of the site, but still a fun journey.

from a mechanical standpoint, this uses komplete for the keyboards, some melodyne 6 studio to fix a few notes in the sax part, and FL 20 as the DAW. i tried to keep as much of the ensemble feel as possible in the keys, which allows for some lilt in the tempo without quantizing out what made the piano part so organic and fun. looking forward to hearing what people think.

source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDizdSZB2Gw

• 1 month later...

Not all of us have the luxury of pulling old project files from 13 years ago (!!!) and still have them be worthy of submission, but I'm certainly glad you did! I actually remember this from the WIP forums and even saved it to my library in its incomplete form. I always felt such an intense sense of warmth from this arrangement, like basking in golden sunset light. This new iteration only improves on the foundation that was put down so many years ago. The few minor quibbles I had were neatly ironed out through the revision process, so I think this is ready to go. Better late than never, Brad! :)

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/12/21 - (1Y) Kingdom Hearts 'Traverse Slums'
  • 4 months later...

There's an audio hiccup at 2:41 with the sax recording that should be smoothed out if possible, but it's not a dealbreaker. Hearing the clacks of the bell keys is an acquired taste; I think they get in the way of the presentation, but they're not annoying so I'll live. Smoove arrangement, featuring Brad with the melt-'em-up sax, and this was very well-executed in a minor key; nice work, and really glad this was submitted!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/12/21 - (2Y) Kingdom Hearts "Traverse Slums"
  • 4 months later...

The delicious sax work immediately caught my attention.  Superb piano work, too.  The interpretation is simple but effective, an excellent demonstration of how less can be more. I'm with Larry on the sounds of the sax mechanism being a detraction, especially around 1:55-2:05 and 2:23-2:40; the blip at 2:41 actually sounds like one of those rather than a recording issue.  There's also some weirdness in 2:10-2:40 where the piano and sax are both improvising timing a little bit, in different ways, and it's resulting in some conflicts.

The issues are minor, though.  Overall this is delightful.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2020/12/21 - (3Y) Kingdom Hearts "Traverse Slums"
  • 2 months later...

Goodness me, this piece is beautiful. The expression in both instruments really shines, especially the sax. It's a pity the key sounds are so prominent, as I did find them distracting at times. It sounds like the mic is adding some small level of noise too. Saying that though, you could maybe record this 100 times with a cleaner, better positioned, mic and not get the same level of feeling as when two musicians are playing together in the moment and feeding off one another's energy. I'm happy to live with the suboptimal recording setup and enjoy the warmth of what's here.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2020/12/21) *YES - TAG* Kingdom Hearts "Traverse Slums"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04315 - *YES* Kingdom Hearts "The Slums of Traverse"
  • Liontamer locked this topic