*NO* Sonic Mega Collection "Sleepy Hedgehog"

Rexy

• Your ReMixer name: Mundiaxis
  • Your website: www.mundiaxis.com
  • Your userid (number, not name):  36965
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic Mega Collection
  • Name of arrangement: Sleepy Hedgehog
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Sonic Mega Collection - Intro Theme
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Gamecube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Microsoft Windows
Composer: Hideaki Kobayashi

• Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

• Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I made this song using a 5-string electric bass guitar and keyboard. I've always felt left out when I see incredible fan contributions (music, art, fan stories, etc.), and I never felt I was adequate enough to create something myself until recently.  Lofi is a popular genre these days, and I love SEGA and my bass guitar -- so, here is a Sonic Lofi remix!

I think this song has potential to be beneficial to your organization.  I published this song on YouTube and it's been getting a lot of great positive reception with the audience it's been exposed to thus far. Hope you enjoy!
Edited by Emunator

• 5 months later...

Cool source tune choice. Seeing it's by Hideaki Kobayashi, I immediately heard the Phantasy Star Online vibes from the instrumentation and composition style.

I dig the lo-fi approach, and just needed to be sure there was sufficient development of the concept for such a short piece. IMO, you could argue either way on this being underdeveloped or sufficiently developed. I'm not a fan of the core beat here, because the pattern just clacks with the same repeating stuff going on, but you do have that contrasted with the constant subtle textural changes going on by addition and subtraction as well as instrumentation changes. I think what's there squeaks by in terms of development, but we'd need a version where the ending doesn't cut off.

YES (borderline/conditional on ending not being cut off)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/08/30 - (1C) Sonic Mega Collection "Sleepy Hedgehog"

i'm going to preface this by saying that i really am not into lofi despite liking downtempo and other styles. i find the reduced freq range to be tiresome.

that said, i think this is a fairly good adaptation of the original into this style. the beat sounds consistent with the genre, and the bass is interesting and adds some fun to the track. that said, i'd consider this to be more of a cover than an arrangement. there's essentially no adaptation of the melody or chords throughout at all, no personalization. the bass groove is fun and the few synths used are thematic and fit, but i'm landing on the not-enough-arrangement side of the line by just a little. maybe if it was longer and could explore the ideas laid out here more i'd be ok with it, but the melodic content occupies less than a minute and a half of the track. it's just too short to really explore anything.

if it was a minute longer (with a minute's worth of exploration and development) i'd be cool with it, i think, since it sounds good. it's just too close to being a straight cover in a new style otherwise.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/08/30 - (1C/1N) Sonic Mega Collection "Sleepy Hedgehog"
  • 2 months later...

I'm in the "not enough" camp, too.  It's a nice, chill groove, and it's certainly transformative in terms of style.  But it's basically minor variations of a loop of the first 30 seconds of the source.  It's very repetitive.  By the end of the first minute you've heard everything the remix has to offer.  I wouldn't call it a cover, but it's short on content.

Edit: Allow me to tone-police myself, as I realized I came across as excessively negative: I do really enjoy the groove here, and while the lo-fi tone is a matter of taste, it's executed well.  It's good "loading screen" or "elevator" music, for a minute or so.  I have nothing but praise for the foundation created here.  It just needs to go further.

NO

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2020/08/30 - (1C/2N) Sonic Mega Collection "Sleepy Hedgehog"

I basically agree with @MindWanderer's vote, but I want to throw in some extra praise: love the production, here. With lofi each element has to be "just so" and then they all need to work together, and I feel like what's here does exactly that - from the silky, rubbery bass to the subtly effected tails of samples, the texture is on-point, and lofi is all about texture. That being said, just needs to.... do more. Two minutes and change, and the first minute is essentially the same as the second. This is such a fantastic foundation and I'd love to see some soloing, melodic embellishment, etc. on top, extending to a three-minute marker and differentiating itself a bit more.

NO (but sweet production & I'd love to see a resubmission w/ more meat)

• djpretzel changed the title to 2020/08/30 - (1C/3N) Sonic Mega Collection "Sleepy Hedgehog"

I found my opinions to be right on point with @djpretzel in terms of really enjoying what you've laid down here, but finding that it fell just a bit short during the 2nd half of the song. The use of live bass really brings the groove to life, and capitalizes on the funkiness of the original source but in a wholly unique way. This works so well as a lo-fi arrangement, but the concept loses steam as a standalone arrangement when it essentially repeats without adding anything substantial during minute #2. I don't necessarily even think you need to extend the arrangement much, just adding more in terms of embellishment before closing out the track would also achieve the same result.

Either way, I dig this a lot but it feels like this could be fleshed out further without sacrificing the dreamy lo-fi feeling you went for. Very close call for me, I don't think this would take much to push it over the bar!

NO (please resubmit!)

• Emunator changed the title to *NO* Sonic Mega Collection "Sleepy Hedgehog"
  • Emunator locked and unpinned this topic