MnP 121: Chrono Cross - Magical Dreamers

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Hm, since we just had a slower song for 120, I think I'll pick something a bit more upbeat and fitting to bring in the new year: Magical Dreamers ~ The Wind, Stars, and Waves from Chrono Cross.  (Editor's Note: Not to be confused with Radical Dreamers, which was done all the way back in MNP 11 and is an entirely different song) -Kat

Deadline: Jan 28th @ 1PM

Vote Ends: Feb 2nd @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP121

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1.  Going to relax this rule with certain Indie Titles like Shovel Knight, Undertale and possibly Crypt of the Necrodancer.  Update me upon further titles that have that 'Retro Fidelity'.  Thanks!
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. Small tempo changes are OK.  But not 140 to 80 etc. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

4 hours ago, APZX said:

@HoboKa

The link is for admin...

Uh oh...good thing it leads to a blank page if not the admin.  I checked on my lappy.  Anyways, fixed and good to go.  I hope. 

BTW: Woah...I think that guitar sample is an Atmosphere/Omnisphere sample.  Composer Yasunori Mitsuda hit the velocity too hard on one of the notes periodically so it gives that awkward piercing feedback, at 1:18 etc.  Oh well.  The things you learn as you mess around with sample libraries and soundfonts lol.

Edited by HoboKa

11 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Uh oh...good thing it leads to a blank page if not the admin.  I checked on my lappy.  Anyways, fixed and good to go.  I hope. 

BTW: Woah...I think that guitar sample is an Atmosphere/Omnisphere sample.  Composer Yasunori Mitsuda hit the velocity too hard on one of the notes periodically so it gives that awkward piercing feedback, at 1:18 etc.  Oh well.  The things you learn as you mess around with sample libraries and soundfonts lol.

Damn, Atmosphere was around in 1999?

43 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Huh, I guess not.  Says it was introduced in 2002.  It sounds so much like the E-guitars that Omnisphere boasts though.  Even has the same "whammy" articulations haha.

Found the one you're talking about!  Yeah this is a dead ringer for the Chrono Cross guitar, and looks like it's from the Spectrasonics Hans Zimmer guitars, which probably predated Atmosphere.

image.png.3f15c1322dc904f33e1b99a97caf77aa.png

7 hours ago, Argle said:

Found the one you're talking about!  Yeah this is a dead ringer for the Chrono Cross guitar, and looks like it's from the Spectrasonics Hans Zimmer guitars, which probably predated Atmosphere.

Ah, so they included it in later packages.  Good sample imo.  Not believable, but better than most wavetable guitars lmao...If that is even the right term.  Probably not.   VST sample pack?  PINGAS pack.  

Edited by HoboKa

20 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Wait Chrono Cross was released in 1999...

Was Omnisphere really that old?

Edited by TheVideoGamer

5 hours ago, Argle said:

Wait so did Omnisphere sample it then?

If so how could they!

It's almost as shocking as me finding out form Deadmau5, that the infamous Vengeance drum packs used by so many producers, are actually old songs ripped and repackaged. Also when another pack comes out, they take the same samples from the previous packs, and modify them ever so slightly. (Hence why they all sound the same....)

Seriously though, i thought Omnisphere was original patches, both from users and the guys who created the VST.

Side Note: Omnisphere takes up a whopping 72gb of space. Like what in the actually hell, no wonder i can't have it, it's too large....

Edited by TheVideoGamer

3 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

2002? Really?

I always thought it came around the time, hip-hop/trap producers really started to take note. So about 2016 onwards.

I recognized sounds used from Spectrasonics/Atmosphere (that were likely separate packs at the time) from Akira Yamaoka in Silent Hill 2 and that game was made in 2001...so wow...Also, Dark Reign 2 (2000) uses Spectrasonics sounds.  So yeah this stuff dates way back.  [edit]I think a lot of western PC games featured them, actually.  Such as Undying, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Starcraft, etc

Edited by HoboKa

Ah, found the midi on the site...

Sad thing is, as much as I love this song and every other song from the Chrono series, I'm unsure if I'll be able to pull anything off with this on Bandlab Online. It's probably the most complex midi I've worked with...

Possibly too complex for my novice self.

Not quite sure what to do with it. :/ Outside of limited instrumentals from the midi side I'm almost always working with loops, and outside of extremely simplistic samples, I'm stuck.

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

@Dextastic

Would be an interesting challenge to see if you don't fall into doing electric guitars for the main parts like the song leads / encourages to use. ;)

Just like apparently I shouldn't fall to using vocals / vox every time / every song. ;)

Edited by The Vodoú Queen
Would be interesting to see if anybody doesn't just fall into string-searing guitar solos for this one, as excellent as the song is for 'em. ^^;

14 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

@Dextastic

Would be an interesting challenge to see if you don't fall into doing electric guitars for the main parts like the song leads / encourages to use. ;)

Just like apparently I shouldn't fall to using vocals / vox every time / every song. ;)

Eh, MnP lends itself to that sort of unoriginal thing, and that's OK, just gotta do it good.  If you want more vocal samples, I can give you a bunch.  I got a bevy ;)

Edited by HoboKa

I'll hit ya up then on that offer. ;)

I'm mixed between putting any in this time around, but I'm happy to grab some free mp3 or wav vox if you got em, for future use. Bandlab's are fun and all but admittedly some are just plain bad and most are only good for rave or techno or nightcore type stuff cause it's kind of high pitched, chipmunk squeak.

Works sometimes, but agreeably, need to broaden my palette.

8 minutes ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

I'll hit ya up then on that offer. ;)

I'm mixed between putting any in this time around, but I'm happy to grab some free mp3 or wav vox if you got em, for future use. Bandlab's are fun and all but admittedly some are just plain bad and most are only good for rave or techno or nightcore type stuff cause it's kind of high pitched, chipmunk squeak.

Works sometimes, but agreeably, need to broaden my palette.

Speaking of Palette broadening, this is a steal!!  I was gonna share it to you for free, but it might not be so wise, since it isn't part of the licensee agreement. Plus with your current setup, Happy Hardcore is a fun style that MIGHT get a few votes.  Might need to learn some time-stretch*** techniques, idk how that style is done really.  I'm sure it's more than just shoving samples up really high on the octave scale.  EDIT pingas

Edited by HoboKa

I really don't like the tempo rule to be honest, and I'm probably not going to submit something for this one simply because of it. I've got an idea for a Trancey piece, and for the feel to be right I'm up around 128bpm which is a bit too far from the 110 in the original IMO  :(

I do have another idea, but really I'm not jiving with some of the melody parts. I don't mind the groove I've got going, but I do mind some of the melody parts. I dunno maybe I need to sit in front of some synths and get to hashing out some sounds.

Edit - Plus I've been working on something original the past week or so, and when I go to remix this I kinda want to bring forth those ideas when I know I shouldn't but I can't separate the two.

Edited by APZX
Moar Info