MnP 121: Chrono Cross - Magical Dreamers

HoboKa

11 hours ago, APZX said:

I really don't like the tempo rule to be honest, and I'm probably not going to submit something for this one simply because of it. I've got an idea for a Trancey piece, and for the feel to be right I'm up around 128bpm which is a bit too far from the 110 in the original IMO  :(

I do have another idea, but really I'm not jiving with some of the melody parts. I don't mind the groove I've got going, but I do mind some of the melody parts. I dunno maybe I need to sit in front of some synths and get to hashing out some sounds.

Edit - Plus I've been working on something original the past week or so, and when I go to remix this I kinda want to bring forth those ideas when I know I shouldn't but I can't separate the two.

No worries, do what you can; and whatever feels is right.  Either way, I really appreciate you participating the last few rounds, it meant a lot.  Too bad my votes didn't quite reflect that, but that's the nature of this gig.  The crown weighs heavily.  And yeah, MnP rules do kind of suck, don't they?  PRC is sort of better in a lot of ways, but I can't be a carbon copy of it :P 

Edited by HoboKa

2 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

I agree with AP, but I'm gonna try my best.

Is 130bpm OK? It's not as fast as I'd like it (160bpm), but might be able to do some weird Sonic / Nightcore hybrid for the song.

Probably be a very hard sell, in all seriousness, since most people will probably play it safer.  As you've seen, Even APZX is a bit iffy on bending the MnP theme too far, and he's pretty good at this gig, so...thar be choppy seas ahead, matie.  But, hey, a Pirate Happy Hardcore would be a great PRC idea for this round...I don't really know.  I got nothin helpful.  

On 1/1/2021 at 9:17 PM, The Vodoú Queen said:

NP, I'll color inside the lines, just the colors might be hot magenta pinks and blues. >_>

Staying inside the lines is an interesting challenge with MnP, the first time I made a submission I was scared to make any variations! But I'm finding it a brain stretcher to try and remix something faithful while simultaneously unique. This and the PRC have really helped me learn more composition and editing skills.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Wassup Thunder said:

Staying inside the lines is an interesting challenge with MnP, the first time I made a submission I was scared to make any variations! But I'm finding it a brain stretcher to try and remix something faithful while simultaneously unique. This and the PRC have really helped me learn more composition and editing skills.

I'm glad you found some value in this compo, I am honored :D

Edited by HoboKa
I say "well" too much

• 2 weeks later...

Big Update!!

I am going to be taking a break from MnP and am working to delegate all responsibilities to @TheVideoGamer and to a lesser extend @Bundeslang.  I will be on standby for emergencies. 

[Wtf was I on??] Though I aim to spend less time at OCR, as I love the community, but I don't like how high the Quality Bar is and feel that the Judge Panel could step it down a notch for the less skilled hobbyists.  Also this blinding white light of the forum Theme is really bad for my eyes.  Being near-sighted (yeah, I use glasses...but I might be at risk for Glaucoma) and with constant Allergy problems, it's just not good for me lol.   [Clearly, I was conflating the issue here.  Some of it is true, but...I was dancing around the crux of the matter.  Most likely, it is background noise to other issues I am dealing with.  Double apology there.]

[More Apropos] I have come to realize that I am poor at handling stressful situations and I lost my cool, to say the least, with one of our participants.  I don't want this to be a pattern and I need to get back on counseling and healthier self-care routines.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  Said individual told me they've forgiven me.  However, I still don't feel good about it. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed hosting MnP and being a huge part of the Compo Community.  Wish the best to you guys :D

Edited by HoboKa
Stupidity, anxiety, need to clarify things.

@HoboKa Well, it's sure be fun for me at least. I've enjoyed hanging around these compos (MnP and PRC) the past few months than I ever did lurking about in the remix workshop, giving out 2-bit advice. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy letting folks know I like their stuff, but always felt impersonal, distant. The little community here, I feel like I have a place. As that guy who doesn't seem to know how to compose without at least 3 tracks of stringed instruments XD. Hang in there, boss. At the end of the day, we're all folks staring at our computers, making music and sharing it with folks who could be robots for all we know (my serial number is #64813490, in case you're wondering.) Take a breather, do something nice for yourself.

1 hour ago, Souperion said:

@HoboKa Well, it's sure be fun for me at least. I've enjoyed hanging around these compos (MnP and PRC) the past few months than I ever did lurking about in the remix workshop, giving out 2-bit advice. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy letting folks know I like their stuff, but always felt impersonal, distant. The little community here, I feel like I have a place. As that guy who doesn't seem to know how to compose without at least 3 tracks of stringed instruments XD. Hang in there, boss. At the end of the day, we're all folks staring at our computers, making music and sharing it with folks who could be robots for all we know (my serial number is #64813490, in case you're wondering.) Take a breather, do something nice for yourself.

Thanks.  That is very true... Glad you found a place here.  This community will be around in some way shape or form for a while yet, I reckon.  Best of wishes to you.  If you're in the Thasauce Discord, you can find me there.  Also, I think someone gave me a Beta-build CPU.  Faulty wiring...beep boop X_X

Edited by HoboKa

Speaking of Thasauce... did ya'll know they do a one hour composition thingy each thursday? Like, they provide a picture prompt for the compo, then give you one hour 20 min to make a song and upload it. I've found it a fun composing exercise. Checkit here if it strikes your fancy https://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/OHC.

21 hours ago, Souperion said:

Speaking of Thasauce... did ya'll know they do a one hour composition thingy each thursday? Like, they provide a picture prompt for the compo, then give you one hour 20 min to make a song and upload it. I've found it a fun composing exercise. Checkit here if it strikes your fancy https://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/OHC.

They also have a 2 Hour Track Sunday's, which is exactly as it says on the tin.

Just check the homepage page of the website, as i do. You can find all upcoming compo's in there (Active, Upcoming, Voting and Completed)...

(I participate in both, if your interested)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 4 entries this round.
  • There is 0 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • Kat have a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends Feb 2nd 1Pm.  

Vote here http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP121

(Ok so as you can see, Hoboka has transferred all duties to me. So don't be alarmed, when you see my name instead of the usual, since it's gonna be me from now on).

Edited by TheVideoGamer

7 hours ago, Souperion said:

Votes in. This was a real fun song to work with and listen to.

Edit: seems I ran into that weird gimmick again: claims I already voted. Heh. I'll send VideoGamer my placements.

I got your message.

I'll post it here, when voting's over...

Also i voted too...

Edited by TheVideoGamer

I got my vote in.

But I'll reiterate what I've said 1000 times over in my critique.

None of it is meant to be mean or dissy. I loved all your work, as I usually do. Just this time I had to be a little more nick-picky and arsey, I guess for lack of a better term, because of that. It's all good and so different from the source, and as usual, I like it and respect the hustle.

Hope whatever I said in my critiques is helpful tho. All I wanna do is at the very least be helpful. >_<;

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

6 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

I got my vote in.

But I'll reiterate what I've said 1000 times over in my critique.

None of it is meant to be mean or dissy. I loved all your work, as I usually do. Just this time I had to be a little more nick-picky and arsey, I guess for lack of a better term, because of that. It's all good and so different from the source, and as usual, I like it and respect the hustle.

Hope whatever I said in my critiques is helpful tho. All I wanna do is at the very least be helpful. >_<;

If something stands out to you, and you find it a little off, you shouldn't be afraid to mention it. While we like the good points, what to improve on, is what strives us as artists. So as long as your not actually bullying, critique (As in, what to improve on...) should be seen as a good thing. 

Taste is personal, as i always say lol.

Thanks for voting anyways!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

Results

• In 1st place with 22 points: Souperion
  • In 2nd place with 15 points: TheVideoGamer
  • In 3rd place with 12 points: TheVodouQueen
  • And the last place hero with 11 points: Wassup Thunder

Souperion please PM me with your source pick for Round 122. Ideally for next week. (Roughly the 9th of February)

Congrats to everyone who participated, you peeps did great! Not expecting a lot of votes this time. 

Comments:

Ok so Souperion had trouble voting, so he's sharing it here. This is his vote:

1st: TheVideoGamer
2nd: Wassup Thunder
3rd: TheVodouQueen

This time around, I feel like TVG got down the MnP themes really well. I loved everyone's innovations and takes, so I relied a bit more on how the song's mixing and such went. 
Wassup: Enjoyed your instrumentation, those pipes really got me. You made some real happening groove going on there, especially with the piano parts. I'm the worst person on the net for giving feedback on guitars and such, but I think the one you used worked pretty well. The reimagined melody sections were fun, made it lively and spirited. Nice take on this thing!

VGM: Don't feel so bad about not being the biggest fan of a popular ost. I enjoyed the energy and electronic soundscape of your piece. Even with very faithful notes, it was alive with your style. Love when the hard kicks come in with a percussion upgrade, shaking my ears and window panes. Seems to me that the piece is a bit heavy on the high and low frequencies, a tad shrill at times, but I really enjoyed how the lead strikes me as something between electric bagpipes and strings. Nice work here.

Vodou Queen: Dang, that stylistic shift! You're right that some of it is a bit sharp, but I am impressed with how you took that mood and atmosphere of the thing and translated it so smoothly. And this piece travels so well, I think it's on the road to the next gig already! I say give yourself some slack from the hard mechanics of the song this time and enjoy what it wanted to be. Come back to this mix sometime later, smooth out and master things, and you'll have a niiiiice song. Keep at it!

Good grief, another win? At this rate, my ego will bloat into an unsightly shape. XD

Really fun round ya'll, I feel a bit bad that I won a round about a more upbeat piece by slowing it down. I'll make it up to ya once I figure out what to choose next.

Edit: and I always appreciate the feedback.

Edited by Souperion