OCR04180 - Lemmings (DOS) "We're All Falling"

Liontamer

funny. i'm mostly off the internet these times, and the only two series i have on my hard drive are twin peaks and stargate. i've become very familiar with this theme.

right off the bat, the bass just don't do it justice. i know the guttural feeling when i launch an episode of TP. it's not present here, it's just too clean. more bass boost and smudging with the string ensemble would have been needed.

the 4-5 minutes do just whizz by, so i think it does something right. but i just can't fullly conjure up that *waterfall* of emotions that's linked to TP, cuz the frequencies are too separated and drawn back.

i have to commend anyone who attempts to do a mashup of a video game and twin peaks in 2020, though. nice work man.

i just would've hoped your mastering would've done it justice. capture that analogue lower mid and bass range of 1990. i'm afraid this mix could be much more with a bit of appropriate mastering applied.

i played some lemmings somewhen in 92 - 93, but it was most certainly without a soundcard - so whatever brilliant parralels you drew between the OSTs is lost on me. i'll check it out at some point.

it's very definitely a nice mix, and the TP refernce is obvious, but i have to be insistent about getting the mixing/sound right on this one - it's just seems crucial when you do a tribute like this. so it's a slightly unfair/special piece to judge, to me. myself, with my lackluster mixing skills, i'd need a loooooong time to get a badalamenti-like sound that pleases me right. so i probably just wouldn't do it.

but still allow me to raise my criticism, cuz twin peaks to me is just sacrosant. can't help it.

how do you like the 3rd season?

• 2 years later...

I was just re-listening to this tonight, and I picked up on something not-so-subtle, but also hidden in plain sight. Right around 2:33, the acoustic guitar that cuts in is from his earlier "Acrophobia" remix of the "Falling on a Landmine/Buttville/Use Your Head" track from EWJ. That's a really deep callback, and I think it's great.

Edited by predcon
Link to song