Final Fantasy VII - The Nightmare Begins

H36T

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EZAkmJNGteO9CLOF74O6JhNShvK2QKf9/view?usp=drivesdk

This is in the early early stages. Like maybe 5% or so done but I wanted to post it as proof of concept I guess on my direction before I really dig into it with all the other instruments and verses to come promise more updates in the future!

Edited by H36T

• H36T changed the title to Final Fantasy VII - The Nightmare Begins
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thinking of submitting this version of the piece or something close to it. However I'm not 100% sold on a few things. For one I need to actually go back and fix what I'm sure are areas that have clipping near the end. Secondly, I think the cello could use a bit more touching up as well as some more harmonic spice in the middle. Besides that just not sure if its completely enough as is arrangement wise. But still thinking about it 

Evaluation:

Wow, lots of cool texture going on.  Honestly thought the track was going to keep the empty eerie vibe of the intro the whole way through.

0:54 when the guitar from the source comes in, it quickly gets overwhelmed with other parts around it, very busy.  1:30 feels better when it's guitar/cello together, less chaotic.

2:25 Drums don't feel like they belong.  It feels like they are playing a different time signature than the rest of the parts.

3:33 Marimba sounds like the Unsolved Mysteries theme song :D

I don't understand the ending.  Is it supposed to be Vincent waking up?  Strange and sudden, this doesn't work to me.

While I like the textures and atmosphere created, the balance between the parts is off and needs to be blended together.  The parts my ear wants to focus on melodically seem to be overshadowed by other parts.  The first minute of the track sounds really good to me (more of that please).  Definitely some cool ideas, and I would love to see my points addressed.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Great work here, H36T!  It is a very rich song with lots of really high quality tones.  I could really see this as a legitimate soundtrack straight from a movie/game because of the first rate vocals and instruments.  Solid mixing too, for the most part, I felt like it was well balanced and the sound was nicely distributed.  I actually don't mind the soft drums but it's the transition that was too harsh for me maybe.  I get that it might be intentional as nightmares and transitions can be just that, but coming from such a smooth sound it seemed too strong.  Just my personal opinion though!  I also do not understand the ending, though I can see what Hemophiliac is saying. 

All in all, I walked away feeling like this was a really great ReMix that felt as if it was lifted straight from a solid movie soundtrack, but accidentally took some of the SFX of the movie with it, rather than just the song audio.  Not sure if that makes sense...

Well thank you very much for all the feedback! I really do appreciate it. I knew the end concept wouldn't sit well with everyone. I also wanted to just cut the track off entirely (which I've seen done a few times) but I always thought that would be even less consumable haha. Though it's my art, I still want others to be able to enjoy it. Takes some balancing in that respect.